How can I build lean muscle without going to the gym???

Replies

• Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    I am also completely in agreement with cecsav1 here. Jesse, you have absolutely no idea what OODone's situation is and have no right to call 'bull' on her statement.

I also love a point that kas_chat makes, if finances are tight then it is a way more intelligent choice in my opinion to invest what money you have in higher quality whole foods and train at home for free.

Nobody needs a gym to get in shape.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    OODone wrote: »
    Why don't you want to join a gym?

I can't bring myself to pay for a gym membership. It just costs way to much.

I was wondering why the OP doesn't want to join a gym. There are alternatives and I completely understand if cost is a factor, but to be honest I was curious if she was experiencing the social or other anxiety that I've seen many express in these threads. A good gym can be a great place to learn.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member

I'm in the same situation - I also know I don't yet have the motivation/commitment to actually go even if I pay for it and on a budget I can't afford it right now. Does anyone know of a good place to find pool exercises? I have a pool that is in my homeowner's that I can use all summer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    If you can't join a gym, you can definitely get by with body weight exercises and what not for a while, but eventually you will NEED a gym if you want to add muscles as the OP suggests.
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Sorry I didn't read all the comments, but it did sound like you're a beginner. I'd suggest something easy and work from there. I do youtube videos. There's a Walk at Home series that surprisingly gave a great workout. I can't remember her name but a simple search should give you plenty of ideas. As your range of ability increases you can move into workouts that incorporate body weight movements: push ups, burgers, plank ect.

My mom is obese and for her if she feels too challenged she gives up, so that's why I suggest starting easy and building from there.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    krazy1sbk wrote: »

I'm in the same situation - I also know I don't yet have the motivation/commitment to actually go even if I pay for it and on a budget I can't afford it right now. Does anyone know of a good place to find pool exercises? I have a pool that is in my homeowner's that I can use all summer.

Hey,

Are you presumably looking for cardio exercises? Youtube is an excellent tool for those of us that can't afford much investment - https://youtube.com/results?search_query=pool+exercises

That said, in my personal opinion, pools are a bad place to exercise for weight loss for one simple reason. Buoyancy. You are taking all of that bodyweight away. Admittedly it is an excellent place for those who may otherwise struggle to achieve training on dry land, hydrotherapy for example. There is also the selling point of the increased resistance in certain set-ups, it just doesn't add up for me personally though to make that decision vs. dry land training. Each persons situation is different though so if you do feel it is best for you then go with the link above, try to find someone who has a lot of views as there is a better chance that they know what they are talking about.

Personally I used youtube a massive amount, for me it was this guy - https://youtube.com/user/JDCav24

He will teach you exercises using nothing more than body weight should you choose and has a range for all sorts of equipment you may have. He will explain the science behind what is happening (He even draws on himself to show you how the muscles are working sometimes lol). He will advise you on mistakes not to make. He will advise you on how to achieve good form. He will advise you on nutrition. He will motivate you. The cost? He will have a little advertisement of his training program which you can ignore if you like. There are tonnes of other options there too if you have a look for other trainers :)

Hope that helps :)
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member

• lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    I have been a gym member before it bores me rigid and I end up spending a monthly sub fee and not going
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    my gym is $10 a month! most gyms are $30 a month or less around me....cheaper than many other vices...
    that being said....body weight exercises push ups pull ups squats lunges dips, monkey bars at playground, squat against wall buy those trx bands or some dumbbells get a kettlebell....

if you give up when it gets hard, you aren't going to succeed. suck it up, buttercup! you can do this!!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    You Are Your Own Gym is good. So is the Reddit recommended bodyweight routine: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

Fitness blender and all those are nice for quick workouts, but to really build muscle with a bodyweight routine you need to progressively increase the difficulty, so it's best to follow a program of some sort. That helps give you structure and clear ways to safely increase the challenge.
  • gswidemark
    gswidemark Posts: 4 Member
    I have been dieting for two years and only lost 2 stone. My muscle tone is very poor and I keep reading that to build lean muscle increases metabolism and so will give me some weight loss. However, I don't want to join a gym. I went on youtube and there is so much there I don't know where to start. Tried to do some simple floor exercises to tone inside of my thighs and it killed me. Although I haven't been as disciplined of late I generally walk or cycle (mainly cycle) - Saturday and Sunday I cycle 23k in around 2 hours and in the week when I can work permitting cycle around 14k two or three times in around 40 minutes.
    Can anyone suggest how I can introduce some exercises I can do at home that can start to tone/build my muscle. Oh, and if its too hard I tend to give up easily

I started exercising using videos like Kathy Smith etc... Now I either take a bicycle ride or every 3rd day use my healthrider which is a great machine. I got a tour of the CVICU when I was 49 and decided I did not want to go there. I also went on a low fat diet. Until I was 70, I exercised 40-120 minutes daily, now at the age of 71 down to 30-35 minutes, 6 days a week. People don't realize how much lifestyle can not affect your longevity but also your heart health and many other things. I started with a heart damaged by rheumatic fever and a family history of heart disease. But with a healthy program, defied heredity and physical issues. Will try to post a photo of my husband, who liked his fast food and disliked exercise, after he came back from a quadruple coronary bypass. Lifestyle counts! He has given me permission to share this photo.

17papz70fgw4.jpeg

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Set a long term fitness goal and work towards it. You don't like the gym so do basic bodyweight exercises. Set lofty goals and work for them. Or not, see it is all up to you and you alone. There is no magic exercise you can do here and there with no consistency that is going to build lean muscle.

Simple plan.
    Set goal
    Record progress

For example

Goal:
    Daily
    100 pushups
    100 burpess
    100 situps
    5min plank
    3K run with no walking.

Start small and work towards your goal
    Day 1
    10 push ups
    10 situps
    10 burpess
    20sec plank
    3K walk/jog. Jog for 25 straight seconds out of every 3mins.

Day 2
    15 pushups
    15 situps
    15 burpees
    25sec plank
    3K walk/jog. Jog for 30 straight seconds out of every 3mins.

Day 3
    20 pushups
    20 situps
    20 burpess
    30sec plank
    3k walk/jog. Jog for 35 straight seconds out of every 3mins.

and so on and so forth.

There are tons of youtube videos to show you the correct form for pushups/burpess/situps etc

Record your daily progress so you can see your improvement.

Then push yourself to achieve your goals.

• ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    I understand not wanting to join a gym. Personally I find that I lose time getting there and back, changing, I hate having to wait for equipment or finding it sweaty, yucky and weights not re-racked properly. I am a grunter when I lift and I hate having people look at me as I a pushing through that last rep. I built up a gym at home and for me it's perfect, well certainly much better than a commercial gym membership (if I win the lottery then I could get it to perfect lol).

But first you need to decide how badly you want to "build muscle" because it will not come magically. You need to work hard. It is possible but not easy.

Try to keep in mind all the benefits of weight training though that go beyond "burning more Calories". You will get to gain or at least lose at a slower rate the muscle that you do have. You can actually build up bone density which has women is invaluable. You will feel amazing psychologically that you are suck a strong individual that it will lift you up in other area of your life as well. Look at the big picture to decide whether this is something that you really realy want. Wanting firmer thighs will not get you very far...

If you are starting out you really don't need much equipment, a couple of dumbbells, maybe some resistance bands too (a pull-up bar is too tough for most women who start out). You already have your body weight. There are tons of apps and Youtube videos out there that are free.

You can also connect with a few MFP individuals to help motivate you and stick to your commitment. Everyone who has commented here can tell you how awesome we feel after strength training but until you decide that this is what you want and that you are ready to invest the sweat and work hard for a decent amount of time it won't do much good.

Many people love strength but it's not for everyone and that's ok too.
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    As a single mom, I have no extra income so a gym membership is out of the question. I run, do some exercise videos at home (I like Jillian Michaels), and take advantage of many great YouTube videos for strength training.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

typically costs less than most people's Starbucks habits.

Being said.
    Convict conditioning
    you are you're own gym
    body by you

plenty of options that don't REQUIRE a gym.

A gym just makes it easier.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    I began by purchasing a little bit of hand weights. If squats and pushups are hard to do, use the wall. If you find a program you like and find a certain exercise too strenuous, search the internet for a modified or a variation form of it.

I like to work out right along to video. The sky's the limit with Youtube. Also, your library may have a section of exercise dvd's. Bodybuilding.com, also free, has some programs and they have tutorials on how to correctly execute each lift. Too many free things out there so you don't have to get financially invested.

Do your research and pick out several videos that look fun. I bookmarked a community post to periodically check to see if there are any new Youtube workouts others are doing. Here is the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10075563/who-are-your-youtube-fitness-favorites/p1

Have fun and enjoy yourself immensely :wink:
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I am also completely in agreement with cecsav1 here. Jesse, you have absolutely no idea what OODone's situation is and have no right to call 'bull' on her statement.

I also love a point that kas_chat makes, if finances are tight then it is a way more intelligent choice in my opinion to invest what money you have in higher quality whole foods and train at home for free.

Nobody needs a gym to get in shape.

Well clearly she has either a phone or a laptop along with Internet connection. If money is so tight, why would she prioritize those? $150 a year is literally a can of pop every couple days. Or 15 packs of cigarettes, cut either of those out and there you have it. Obviously I have no idea what her financial situation is, but many people say they can't afford it yet they have a bottle of wine in the fridge or some other useless household item lying around.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'd say most people have more than enough fat in their lives to trim off. I'm not going to judge and tell people how to do it- but most people can.