How much more to lose before I start to bulk?

Options
In April I started to eat at a (very) slight deficit and do Stronglifts. I'm 6'3". I was at 201# and I planned to get down to 178 or so because that was a good weight for me when I used to run a lot.

Now, 2 months later, I've only lost 5#, but my waist is down 2" and my abs are starting to look more or less like I remember from when I was 178.
nst1jzuzs5iy.jpeg

I'm finding that I enjoy lifting and I would love to get stronger (so I want to eat more), but I also read that you are better to cut down as much as you can, then maintain for a while before bulking. So my question is: am I smart to keep working down to 178 (maybe doing a better job at hitting my deficit so I lose faster), maintain for a while then bulk? Do I have 18 pounds to lose --- keeping in mind that I'm 49, so I don't think I am supposed to get to the same low bodyfat as guys who are 20 or 30? Or should I get down to 185 or so (lose 10 more), maintain for a while, then bulk?

I'm sure I can cut more that I think, but I've never had a particularly low bodyfat % (even 20 years ago when I ran a ton), so maybe my frame of reference is off.

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Things I've seen suggest around 12% BF if a guy is going to start bulking.

Haven't seen anything specifically regarding older individuals, but personally as an older lifter I would not think about bulking unless I was at the 12% range. Harder and takes longer to build muscle due to lower T, personally would not want to be carrying the weight (plus extra fat tends to lower T levels). I'm into recomp.

Just my $.02.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would drop another 15lbs or so. That should get yah around 12-13%.

I'm your height and close to your age(46). I have had great success over the years adding mass dropping down to that range first.

• chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The 10-12% range is pretty popular. That is my goal too. I'm in the 16% range at 200 lbs now. I think I need to drop another 10-15 lbs before I start any real bulking.

However, cycling your calories by carb cycling while keeping protien high can allow you to start building some lean muscle and loose a little body fat in the process. I'm doing a heavy calorie deficit (dropping off carbs) for two weeks, then going over maintenance to build a little and not be so wiped out in the gym for two weeks.

Everyone's body is a little different, but this is working for me. I'm about two months in also. I have trouble staying motivated for months of dieting, and calorie deficits kill muscle gains. I'm weak in the gym during the diet weeks.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be able to put on muscle whether you start at your current weight, or at a lower weight. But if you start at a lower weight:
    1. you'll be able to see your progress more clearly; and
    2. it will take longer for you to start to feel fat during your bulk.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm currently about 9.5% body fat at 170ish. I plan to get down to about 7-8% before I start to bulk back up again. I've definitely noticed decreased energy levels during workouts but I'm loving how lean I'm getting. Plus I'll be able to bulk for that much longer. It's all about personal preference, I personally love seeing the separation in my muscles so I enjoy getting as lean as possible. I'll probably start cutting again once I get back up to around 13-14%
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its worth mentioning that lean mass is the driver of your resting metabolic rate. cycle your goals monthly so you don't risk gaining to much extra. For example do a month strength, a month fat loss, a month hypertrophy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If probably lose to 190-195 if I were you and then recomp for a few months. Then reevaluate. I'm a fan of recomps though so I could be bias.