How much do y'all pay for your gym memberships?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    Dang, y'all! I Googled gyms near me and checked prices on at least a dozen of them. There was literally not a single option less than $75/month. Is this a big city problem or what?

I've paid anywhere from $10 a month (very small town I visited occasionally) to $300 a month (affluent area in a major city), and everything in between. Those two extremes were both very well equipped gyms. Location makes a huge difference.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    I have an interesting plan through my health insurance. $25/month gets you membership at many gyms nationwide, including their major partners SNAP fitness and Anytime. It is a great deal, especially for someone who travels.

I have this deal too. Also have a membership at a local not for profit facility $67 for a family membership (unsubsidized). As many immediate family members as you have, through college age. 2 locations, free babysitting, most classes come with membership, towels, weight rooms have lifting platforms, power racks, pretty nice set up.

One of my options on the insurance plan is a Gold's Gym Express. Interesting concept, base membership is $10 a month, $20 allows you to bring a guest, free tanning, 50% off drinks, protein bars, etc. The front of the gym is the cardio equipment, next are the weight machines. Behind some partial walls are lifting platforms, power racks, benches, and dumbbells up to 150 lbs. Around another partial wall is what could be a crossfit box. Large open area with climbing ropes, sled, set of about 50 stairs to climb, sandbags, kettlebells to 40KG, some random bars and a large multipurpose unit with TRX straps, some racks for barbells, etc. Out back is a large tractor tire for flipping.

Neat concept, allows the Planet Fitness types to be in the gym without having to see much of the "lunks".

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Anytime Fitness and I pay $24.99 a month.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Nothing because it is part of my HOA and open 6AM to 8PM Monday-Sunday (we have two fitness centers). I pay for Pilates and Yoga $30 a month for unlimited classes and only if I am planning to attend a lot of classes; if not, I pay $5 per class.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Dang, y'all! I Googled gyms near me and checked prices on at least a dozen of them. There was literally not a single option less than $75/month. Is this a big city problem or what?

Are you in North America or Australia?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Here in Tasmania, the best gym we've come across runs approx. $1000/year ... or $2000/year for the two of us. No discounts because there's two of us.

We had a membership for a year ... nice gym ... really liked it there ... but just couldn't justify $2000/year.

So we went on the hunt for something more reasonable and found ... nothing. A few were slightly less money but significantly less quality.

So we built a gym in our basement.

However, just recently I've discovered the university gym which I can use because I'm a student and it is half the price of everywhere else. We checked it out on Sunday and have decided we'll continue to use our basement gym most of the time (convenience), but will drop into the university gym now and then because their drop-in rates are the lowest around ... and they have drop-in rates. So many of these 24-hour places (Anytime, ZAP, etc.) don't have drop-in rates ... you've got to fork over a fortune and all your bank account details in order to be able to walk through the door.
  • BmoreKimmy
    BmoreKimmy Posts: 1 Member
    140/ month and that's the student rate but it's a small private gym. Most larger gyms run 80-100. I think it might be a city problem. Some of the suburban areas have cheaper chains like Planet Fitness or Gold's.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    $72 a month for a family membership to the YMCA. Free classes, pool, sauna, indoor track, basketball courts, 2 hrs daycare a day Mon - Sat, and I am able to use any of the 24 locations in the Gateway Region.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    I pay $15/month for Fitness 19 and it's kinda crappy. My trainer told me they never clean the equipment. Um...ew. :/ I'm thinking about quitting there and joining somewhere else, but I'm not sure where yet. I know our 24hr is $50/month but it's full of annoying men. We also have a Crunch that's $70/month. The super duper nice and fancy gym here is $300 which I can't afford but I sure wish I could.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    royboy969 wrote: »
    If you have Blue Cross / Blue Shield check into their wellness program. I pay $25 a month and it gets me into multiple gyms. The one I use the most is LA Fitness. I can go to any of them. This helps when I travel.
    I'm blue cross. Mine is $20. Perhaps it's based on location...
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Technically speaking nothing, as gym access is included in my programming.

Programming is $150 a month, and more than worth that.
  • royboy969
    royboy969 Posts: 218 Member
    royboy969 wrote: »
    If you have Blue Cross / Blue Shield check into their wellness program. I pay $25 a month and it gets me into multiple gyms. The one I use the most is LA Fitness. I can go to any of them. This helps when I travel.

How does that work? I have them too. Are you sure it's not specific to your company and BC/BS? I wouldn't mind a bigger discount on my membership....

I am not sure, but I know it is not just my company. I would check your site or call your admin or 888.762.BLUE
  • martini0128
    martini0128 Posts: 38 Member
    165 a month for unlimited classes at my community crossfit gym
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    60 per month. 24 hours. Includes classes. All the equipment I need to get powerlifting done and body build. Cardio if I ever wanted to. This is NYC so I consider it pretty cheap. I'm grandfathered in though. I think the gym price is 70-80 now if you join.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    $50 a month gets my wife and I a couple's membership with 24/7 access and free access to all the classes.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited June 2016
    Regular fees at my gym (2 locations) are $30.00 per month but I go for free as part of my Medicare Advantage insurance (Silver Sneakers) since I'm old. Unlimited classes (Yoga, Pilates, Cardio, Body Pump, Dance, Tae Tek, etc.); all machines, boxing, Spinning, TRX (small fee), HIT (small fee), free child care. Totally worth it for me since it's free. Lots of competition for gyms since I'm in a large urban area of South Florida.

If you belong to Silver Sneakers you can sign up at no cost at any gym in the area that accepts the program. There are quite a number of gyms available.
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    $10 a month, that includes 2hours a day Monday-Saturday of child watch for my 3 kids, and unlimited classes. The gym has a huge machine and free weight section, large cardio section, spin cycle room/classes, another studio with Zumba, yoga, body pump, etc classes, and a fenced outdoor turf area with tires and other cool crossfit type stuff... Locker rooms are nice, big, have dry saunas... BEST DEAL EVER.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I was shocked to read in the OP that the Anytime Fitness facility close to you is $250/mo. I have an AF membership and including tax is about $46/mo. Granted though, mine doesn't have a pool and such but it has a good amount of equipment and I love being able to go ANY TIME
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm in Houston and there are quite a few $10 a month gyms here!