Getting about half the iron I need?

How accurate is the nutritional breakdown? Do I really need as much iron in my diet as it says? Because I'm consistently only hitting half of what it says I need...

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    The nutritional break downs are not complete. MFP members have added tons of entries, if they don't track iron they may not bother to add that information.

I watch my iron because I KNOW that I need to. Gave blood (disqualified) because my hematocrit was too low. Do NOT take a supplement unless a Dr. advises you. Vitamin C helps with absorption, too much calcium has the opposite effect.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    If you take a multivitamin add it to the food log.
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    If you take a multivitamin add it to the food log.

I do, and I add it, but there's no iron in it
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    @a_hounslow09 This is why I've added all my foods myself instead of using the database, making sure I add iron and the other nutrients, because the database if just full of foods added incorrectly or with nutrients missing.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Do NOT take iron supplements (other than a standard multivitamin) without an iron deficiency validated by a blood test. Too much iron is worse than a slight deficiency.

The database here is terrible for micronutrients.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Do you like liver? I hate liver. I wouldn't sweat the iron unless you're feeling bad or you test anemic or something. Women do need more iron than men, I think.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    My iron is typically about 50%, too. My potassium was really low! Then I realized how many foods didn't include the potassium on MFP and started adding it up myself. I started figuring out the actual amount of potassium that each food ought to have, then added a potassium tablet entry to my food log to reflect the difference. What I found was that instead of getting about 10 to 20% of what I needed, I was closer to 90%.

Then I realized that the number MFP uses for potassium is actually lower than what many experts suggest. However, I eat plenty of foods that are considered high in potassium, so I decided I'm okay with that for now.

Anyway, if you do some googling there are sites that offer standard measures for micronutrients in foods. You can calculate your iron intake that way and see if you are getting closer than you think. I'm sure you are!
  • a_hounslow09
    a_hounslow09 Posts: 36 Member
    My iron is typically about 50%, too. My potassium was really low! Then I realized how many foods didn't include the potassium on MFP and started adding it up myself. I started figuring out the actual amount of potassium that each food ought to have, then added a potassium tablet entry to my food log to reflect the difference. What I found was that instead of getting about 10 to 20% of what I needed, I was closer to 90%.

Then I realized that the number MFP uses for potassium is actually lower than what many experts suggest. However, I eat plenty of foods that are considered high in potassium, so I decided I'm okay with that for now.

Anyway, if you do some googling there are sites that offer standard measures for micronutrients in foods. You can calculate your iron intake that way and see if you are getting closer than you think. I'm sure you are!

Yeah it always says I'm about halfway on Potassium too... But my vitamins A and C are always over.