How can I build lean muscle without going to the gym???

13»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    SumnyUK wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I am also completely in agreement with cecsav1 here. Jesse, you have absolutely no idea what OODone's situation is and have no right to call 'bull' on her statement.

I also love a point that kas_chat makes, if finances are tight then it is a way more intelligent choice in my opinion to invest what money you have in higher quality whole foods and train at home for free.

Nobody needs a gym to get in shape.

Well clearly she has either a phone or a laptop along with Internet connection. If money is so tight, why would she prioritize those? $150 a year is literally a can of pop every couple days. Or 15 packs of cigarettes, cut either of those out and there you have it. Obviously I have no idea what her financial situation is, but many people say they can't afford it yet they have a bottle of wine in the fridge or some other useless household item lying around.

And you think you're the right person to judge what a stranger spend their money on?

If someone is going to put their reasons/excuses on a public forum they should expect people to comment.

If you don't want comments, don't post. Very simple.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    try nerdfitness website, beginners bodyweight work out. You can do it with nothing more than an old milk bottle.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    I am also completely in agreement with cecsav1 here. Jesse, you have absolutely no idea what OODone's situation is and have no right to call 'bull' on her statement.

I also love a point that kas_chat makes, if finances are tight then it is a way more intelligent choice in my opinion to invest what money you have in higher quality whole foods and train at home for free.

Well clearly she has either a phone or a laptop along with Internet connection. If money is so tight, why would she prioritize those? $150 a year is literally a can of pop every couple days. Or 15 packs of cigarettes, cut either of those out and there you have it. Obviously I have no idea what her financial situation is, but many people say they can't afford it yet they have a bottle of wine in the fridge or some other useless household item lying around.

Hi Jesse,

I have little interest in repeating myself and won't make the same statement I did before, feel free to read back to confirm my maintained opinion of your attitude and judgments. I'm glad you admit that you have no idea what her financial situation is, you're half way there at least.
  • Jonny15121983
    Jonny15121983 Posts: 574 Member
    edited June 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    SumnyUK wrote: »

And you think you're the right person to judge what a stranger spend their money on?

If someone is going to put their reasons/excuses on a public forum they should expect people to comment.

If you don't want comments, don't post. Very simple.

Well said, if you don't want comments then don't post. Jesse has posted his comments and we have all shared our opinions on those comments due to assumptions he is repeatedly making without any evidence to support them. Furthermore, your quotation isn't even of an opinion, it is a question.
  • pipermoom37
    pipermoom37 Posts: 6 Member
    I found a great 15day challenge on www.flatsbsfitness.com
    It's free and I don't have to leave the house or get a childminder. Going to the gym would be to much hassle for me.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member

I actually use my dad's internet since I live so close. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have access to the internet. I don't buy pop. I will sometimes drink it at parties though. I surely don't smoke, that would cost way more than a gym membership. I don't have cable/satellite either and the Starbucks comments I saw earlier made me LOL. I had to cut those things from my lifestyle so I could afford to pay my bills and buy healthy foods for my family.

All that being said, if you want to pay for a gym membership, that's cool if that's what helps you stay healthy. I personally do mostly body weight exercises and if I did want to lift more weight than my body can give me, I would buy free weights to keep at the house. I do have a few already for exercises that I just can't do with my body weight.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    Well just to update anyone who is interested. I joined a gym. I am focusing mainly on strength training. Using a bit of intuition as to what weight to lift, listening to my body really. Using the machines rather than free weights. At first I was doing upper body one day and lower body the next day, depending upon the exercise (muscle focus) I am doing 3 sets of between 10 - 15 reps. Some of the machines don't have any additional weight they are so heavy and I find afterwards my limbs feel heavy and a bit shaky so I guess its doing some good.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Well just to update anyone who is interested. I joined a gym. I am focusing mainly on strength training. Using a bit of intuition as to what weight to lift, listening to my body really. Using the machines rather than free weights. At first I was doing upper body one day and lower body the next day, depending upon the exercise (muscle focus) I am doing 3 sets of between 10 - 15 reps. Some of the machines don't have any additional weight they are so heavy and I find afterwards my limbs feel heavy and a bit shaky so I guess its doing some good.

You would probably be better off with a structured lifting program than just random machines.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator

You would probably be better off with a structured lifting program than just random machines.

Agreed.

OP, I would suggest you look into: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This will help maximize your results.
  • psuLemon

Agreed.

OP, I would suggest you look into: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Agreed.

I appreciate the link. However, the post refers me to sources of information for body building, free weight bulking out programmes. I don't want to bulk, I want to tone. Also, I have problems with my knees so cannot squat with free weights. I am using lifting machines rather than free weights, mainly for the safety aspect because if I do a squat with the machine in the gym and cannot get up again the machine has a method of taking the weight for me at the bottom for instance. Also, because I am a novice I don't even know what half the names mean so following a programme that says do so many of these and so many of those is also difficult, I don't have access to anyone that can instruct me. So I know some of the exercises I do but all on machines e.g. leg press, leg extension, leg curl, seated calf raise, lateral pull, chest fly machine, pull down, shoulder press, push down, bicep curl, rope grapple, pectoral machine.

Having now got used to using these machines I am increasing the weight so that the last set is really hard to impossible to finish. Doing 3 sets of 12 reps. I have found a wikipedia site which shows me a list of exercises that I can do for each muscle group with links to pictures etc so I hope that will help me too.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    I appreciate the link. However, the post refers me to sources of information for body building, free weight bulking out programmes. I don't want to bulk, I want to tone. Also, I have problems with my knees so cannot squat with free weights. I am using lifting machines rather than free weights, mainly for the safety aspect because if I do a squat with the machine in the gym and cannot get up again the machine has a method of taking the weight for me at the bottom for instance. Also, because I am a novice I don't even know what half the names mean so following a programme that says do so many of these and so many of those is also difficult, I don't have access to anyone that can instruct me. So I know some of the exercises I do but all on machines e.g. leg press, leg extension, leg curl, seated calf raise, lateral pull, chest fly machine, pull down, shoulder press, push down, bicep curl, rope grapple, pectoral machine.

Having now got used to using these machines I am increasing the weight so that the last set is really hard to impossible to finish. Doing 3 sets of 12 reps. I have found a wikipedia site which shows me a list of exercises that I can do for each muscle group with links to pictures etc so I hope that will help me too.

Do you know how hard it is to build muscle? It takes years of commitment and a specific protein-rich calorie surplus diet. You won't turn into Arnie by accidentally picking up a dumbell.

What you are trying to do is preserve your existing muscle mass and the very best way to do that is a progressively loaded free-weight programme. Machines isolate muscle groups too much and are less efficient than free weights.

Oh, and it also needs to be said that squats are the very best things to help leg joints.
  • dietcepheus
    dietcepheus Posts: 26 Member
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    my gym is $10 a month! most gyms are $30 a month or less around me....cheaper than many other vices...

Jealous. Here £30 a month ($38) is the bare minimum. That's gets you access to a very basic gym, no classes.
  • psuLemon
    psulemon wrote: »

Agreed.

The difference between toning and bulking is energy balance. Toning is a fancy word for losing body fat while maintaining muscle and is done in a calorie deficit. Bulking is the intentional energy state to gain muscle and subsequently fat which is done in a calorie surplus.

The difference between low rep high weight and high rep low weight? More weight = stronger; less weight = endurance. Both forms of resistance can help maintain muscle mass. Muscle mass, in itself is lean. Fat is what makes women look bulky. So if you want to be lean, you work to maintain or even gain muscle.

Knowing that you are a novice and you do not have a person to show you, I would recommend the below. It is a simple and easy program. It also has links to videos on how to do each move. For squat and any other you feel uncomfortable with, I would recommend using a machine until you feel comfortable moving to dumbbells. At that point, start with low weights until you improve form and feel comfortable.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

If you want to understand what muscle actually does for a women, below is an extreme example of what gaining 20 lbs can do for a woman. Keep in mind, what you are doing is in no way going to mimic what Staci is doing. What staci is doing is a whole different conversation and doesn't happen by accident.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/