Plantar fasciitis - Tenex Procedure?

Hey - has anyone on here gotten the Tenex procedure for their PF? I've been diagnosed as 'chronic' by my orthopedist. I've done PT, I stretch daily, I do strengtheners (hips, ankles, etc) daily, I no longer run (been off running for about 10-12 weeks), I sleep in a night boot, custom orthothics, ice bottle (roll). I have taped it for additional arch support. I do swim and bike still (careful to keep my heel/foot not-pointed on the bike.) Was training for a September Ironman, but that looks to be off the table. Ortho recommended Tenex with PRP injection. 2 week non-weight bearing, 4 additional weeks no impact. Wondering if this is 'realistic'? He was fast to tell me that the success rate is 50-70%. Just frustrated.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Never heard of the Tenex procedure. Nearly every instance of PF I have overcome was chronic, with months long recovery. It sounds with the orthotics, night boot, and icing you are doing all you can to prevent aggravating your condition.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Basically very small incision (like a toothpick size) is made, ultrasound guided, breaks down the damaged/scar tissue that is causing the PF, and off you go.
    http://www.amjorthopedics.com/home/article/a-novel-treatment-for-refractory-plantar-fasciitis/2f495b08e4530e0b081e535227379717.html
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    How long have you had it? It can take up to a year to recover. I would avoid surgery, actually and stick with what you are doing as well as make sure you are in the proper running shoes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Yeah, I looked it up when you mentioned it. PF does take a long time to heal from.
  • jaxCarrie
    Going on 4 months. Yes, i got new shoes too - but I don't 'think' that was part of the issue...I am a runner, I change my shoes out every 300(ish) miles, I wear a stability shoe, but I did change them out when I felt the first tingle. part of my cocktail of 'fix the PF 2016 plan'.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Only thing that worked for me was wearing different shoes every day. It seems when I wear the same pair often, my feet adjust and I'm back to PF pain soon after. All the ice and stretching in the world don't help. When I wear different shoes all the time, I find myself having to hold my feet slightly differently each day, and for some reason that helps me. Haven't had a relapse in a couple of years now. Plus I get to wear lots of different fun summer sandals (some flat, some heeled, some with wedges, all with different foot bed shapes). I do also wear inserts in my workout shoes, and do different sorts of cardio each day (Focus T25, step aerobics, MMA-style workouts, urban rebounding, etc.). I don't run, though, because the repetitive motion aggravates my knees.

On the other hand, it is possible my case was milder than yours. Didn't even realize there was a surgical option and I personally would probably only do that as a last resort. Thankfully I have been able to keep mine under control by other means.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I did all the basic stuff, podiatrist, orthopedist, orthotics, physical therapy, night splint but finally beat it when I ignored all the professionals. What I did is start walking barefoot every opportunity I had, within a short time I gained much more flexibility in my feet and the PF pain ended.

I believe that most all foot problems are caused by shoes, so get rid of the cause.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Several years ago, after a severe case of PF and partial tear of the fascia, I had shock wave therapy on my foot. This sounds a bit more invasive (my foot was numbed but there was no incision), though. It definitely healed my foot & I was able to run marathons again after I was fully healed.
  • Marshachia
    Marshachia Posts: 16 Member
    My PF healed by itself after one year. So I think surgery is not necessary.
  • LiftandSkate
    LiftandSkate Posts: 148 Member
    PF is the devil! Agree about never wearing the same shoes more than one day in a row. Proper, good fitting supportive shoes are a must. Acupuncture helped immediately and dramatically. Calf stretching and foam rolling, and lots of it. There are actually 3 trigger points in our calves that refer pain to just under the heel, so releasing those areas, if they are tight or knotty, can provide a lot of relief. Finally, for me, avoiding jumping/running type activities is key. I can lift heavy weight, cycle and skate all I want, and do lots of other things, but running would cripple me. Sorry, not what you want to hear, I know. This must be an awful injury for a runner.
  • jaxCarrie
    Several years ago, after a severe case of PF and partial tear of the fascia, I had shock wave therapy on my foot. This sounds a bit more invasive (my foot was numbed but there was no incision), though. It definitely healed my foot & I was able to run marathons again after I was fully healed.

How long was the 'healing' process? How many sessions?
  • jaxCarrie
    I really want to avoid surgery.....I am signed up for acupuncture next week. When I talked to the acupuncturist, she did tell me I'd know pretty quickly if it was going to work....so I'm hopeful.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    What do you think caused the PF?

Do you have flat or high arches?

Have any of the treatments you've tried helped? (stretching, rolling, etc).
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    I had it last year and it took about 4 months to heal. I swore by KT tape. I know, I know, there's no scientist evidence it does anything but it really seemed to help me. I also rolled a tennis ball under my foot & iced it at night. It took awhile but I've been pain free for 6 months.
  • jaxCarrie
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    What do you think caused the PF?

Do you have flat or high arches?

Have any of the treatments you've tried helped? (stretching, rolling, etc).

normal arches. See above for what I've done: new shoes, night boot, physical therapy, ASTYM, cortisone, stretching, trigger point, ice, orthotics. trying acupuncture.
  • jaxCarrie
    FL_Nettie wrote: »
    I had it last year and it took about 4 months to heal. I swore by KT tape. I know, I know, there's no scientist evidence it does anything but it really seemed to help me. I also rolled a tennis ball under my foot & iced it at night. It took awhile but I've been pain free for 6 months.

Oh, I LOVE KT tape. I've also taped my arch for support if I have a heavy day or walking.
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Many years ago I developed PF and had no success with orthotics, ice etc. What did provide relief was Active Release Techniques (ART). http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp. I have been quite lucky and the PF has not returned since I did the therapy. I also found it helped to treat shin splints.
  • itsalifestylenotadiet
    itsalifestylenotadiet Posts: 120 Member
    I had to have an actual release on mine and it still hasn't completely healed after 16 years but I have many more physical problems that also have come to light over the years including FIBRO which interrupts healing. This is really interesting and wish they had this therapy before I would have opted for surgery. I am now currently getting TPI inj. for a buttock tear that I have had for 15 years and my docs all told me that it was a lypoma and they don't hurt (I complained of pain and not being able to lay on my side) and a myraid of other symptoms. Finally found a pain doc who listened to me and sent me to someone who did an actual MRI on the lump itself. My pain doc is now doing injections using this same method of using my own serum to try and heal the injury because it is now too late to surgically or even use PT to fix it. Check out the PRP on this page. I don't know how to reply directly to anyone because I am new to the forums. http://www.heelpaininstitute.com/Advanced-Treatments.html#Tenex Procedure
  • jaxCarrie
    My pain doc is now doing injections using this same method of using my own serum to try and heal the injury because it is now too late to surgically or even use PT to fix it. Check out the PRP on this page. http://www.heelpaininstitute.com/Advanced-Treatments.html#Tenex Procedure

Yes!!!! So PRP is an option...pretty costly since it's not covered by insurance - the ortho/foot guy said I'd probably need 3-4 treatments (@800 per pop) every other week. And it's no gaurentee. he said he'd recommend the Tenex (also on that page) and do a PRP while he's in there to help regenerate/speed up healing. UGH. So much out there.

• jaxCarrie
    dapunks wrote: »
    Many years ago I developed PF and had no success with orthotics, ice etc. What did provide relief was Active Release Techniques (ART). http://www.activerelease.com/what_patients.asp. I have been quite lucky and the PF has not returned since I did the therapy. I also found it helped to treat shin splints.

My chiropractor is an ART guy....I went to see him about 4-5x in February when this flared up....sadly, it didn't alleviate the pain.