Online college degree or classes - anyone?

2»

Replies

• dwerland
    dwerland Posts: 25 Member
    I too took classes through Axia College( University of Pheonix) I enjoyed every single minute of it? Was it worth it dollar wise? Succeeding in those classes did so much for my self-esteem! I have a State University only Thirty minutes from my house and two good city colleges even closer, which would have been so much cheaper. However the ability to do the work on my time and not have to drive to a campus and sit somewhere for an hour was incredible and I wouldn't have been able to do it any other way.:glasses:
  • cab2424
    cab2424 Posts: 122 Member
    I am attending Baker College online. I love it. I went to regular college and hated it. But I also work full time and have a child, so I need to be home at nights. Online there is a ton more writing than normal classes. I have my associates from online college and have a semester left until my Bachelors. Most businesses respect online degrees from what I have found, but I also live in the city that Baker is based out of so online degress are very common
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    dwerland & cab2424 -

Thanks for the input. I've done the traditional route for the associate's degree and can't really see myself going that route again for a variety of reasons. I appreciate your insights on the online college stuff. A boost to my self-esteem has a lot to do with this too :tongue: (not that learning for learning's sake isn't a good thing also.)

Soupy - thanks for the support. We'll have to see if I can pull it together or not.

Everyone is great for responding and I appreciate all the thoughts and information.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • I go to American Public University and I love it.
  • JessicaN1979
    JessicaN1979 Posts: 142 Member
    I live in Kansas and there is an in state college here that offered the program I was studying as an online degree. I went into Health Information and all of my classes were online and I have never really been asked how my degree was achieved. I love doing the classes from home in my time. I have come to find out that Kansas University also offers the Bachelors for the program, so I hope to obtain that degree as well. As for University of Pheonix, there was no way I was paying those rates. Absolutely riduculous. I would recommend checking with your in state universities first or community colleges for your first couple of years to save a lot of cash. Good luck.
  • alaskagal
    I live in Kansas and there is an in state college here that offered the program I was studying as an online degree. I went into Health Information and all of my classes were online and I have never really been asked how my degree was achieved. I love doing the classes from home in my time. I have come to find out that Kansas University also offers the Bachelors for the program, so I hope to obtain that degree as well. As for University of Pheonix, there was no way I was paying those rates. Absolutely riduculous. I would recommend checking with your in state universities first or community colleges for your first couple of years to save a lot of cash. Good luck.

I agree the rates for University of Phoenix are crazy. Thank you for the input and I'll continue to check out state schools that may offer online programs.
    :flowerforyou:
  • alaskagal
    I go to American Public University and I love it.

I haven't heard of this one. Another good tip to investigate. Thanks so much!
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    I am going to a community college taking one class there and two online... I LOVE it.. I feel like the online classes are so so so much easier!
  • msvallon
    msvallon Posts: 35 Member
    I'm taking classes online at my local community college and then I will be going on campus starting this summer. I love online classes because I get to stay home with my daughter. Also, you have to be disciplined and a self-starter b/c once you get behind, it's hard catching up!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    i'm about to start a nutrition class online for credit towards my nursing degree. i'm super excited about it :smile:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    My brother got his MBA online with Un. of Phoenix and he loved it, my husband did an online health management program with Un. of North Carolina Chappel Hill and loved it. My sister in law, my stepmom, my sister and I have all taken an online accreditation program and struggled but finished... if you are not highly motivated and really good at keeping yourself on task think again. Good luck!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Hey Alaskagal - I LOVE your state! I spent 5 weeks there last spring in the Wasilla/Palmer/Anchorage area.... Beeee-u-tiful!
  • alaskagal
    Hey Alaskagal - I LOVE your state! I spent 5 weeks there last spring in the Wasilla/Palmer/Anchorage area.... Beeee-u-tiful!

Thanks so much for both the college information and the compliment on AK. Now you know why I don't want to be sitting inside a classroom for hours at a time :tongue:
  • alaskagal
    KLS10
    msvallon
    healthy_is_best

Thanks for the input. Good luck with the classes!