How much do y'all pay for your gym memberships?

123457»

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I pay ~$75/month for the YMCA family membership so my kids can swim. I mostly workout in my garage and that cost me $75/month and dropping every month. If it lasts as long as my previous weight set (that is for a 1" bar) then it'll end up costing me ~$5/month or less.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    kaaaayla wrote: »
    jbee27 wrote: »
    Okay so what I'm seeing here is that most people have some kind of deal for being a student, having Obama Care, through their work, etc. Bummer, none of that would apply to me. I miss being in college and having a super nice facility for free.

"Obama Care"? Must have missed anyone mentioning that. Also must have missed the subsidized gym membership section when I read the ACA. :D

No Obama care discounts, work discounts, student discounts, I pay $34/month, plus $10 for unlimited group classes. Gym has tons of equipment, really nice locker rooms, classes, and a pool.

Yeah you did. "I pay my insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield $20 a month. That gives me a card that I can use at all the cheaper gyms, and the YMCA in my town. Only the super fancy gym with the towel attendants isn't part of the blue cross deal. So, I pay 20. No commitment, no nothing. Part of Obamacare."

The gym membership benefit may be part of an insurance policy you bought through an exchange but a heath club benefit is not part of Obama care
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Okay so what I'm seeing here is that most people have some kind of deal for being a student, having Obama Care, through their work, etc. Bummer, none of that would apply to me. I miss being in college and having a super nice facility for free.

"Obama Care"? Must have missed anyone mentioning that. Also must have missed the subsidized gym membership section when I read the ACA. :D

No Obama care discounts, work discounts, student discounts, I pay $34/month, plus $10 for unlimited group classes. Gym has tons of equipment, really nice locker rooms, classes, and a pool.

Yeah you did. "I pay my insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield $20 a month. That gives me a card that I can use at all the cheaper gyms, and the YMCA in my town. Only the super fancy gym with the towel attendants isn't part of the blue cross deal. So, I pay 20. No commitment, no nothing. Part of Obamacare."

The gym membership benefit may be part of an insurance policy you bought through an exchange but a heath club benefit is not part of Obama care
    How did the health exchanges come into being, and doesn't Obamacare have provisions for preventive programs?
    But ok. NOT part of Obamacare. But what happened in many places when Obamacare was implemented.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the college students that have to pay for their university's gym! My university's gym has pretty much all the equipment you'd ever want (although only two squat racks), free group fitness classes, a pool, and cheap rates on personal trainers and a dietitian for all students. The only things you have to pay for (as mentioned earlier) are the personal trainers and dietitian if you choose to use those services.

Otherwise, I'm kinda nervous about the prospects of having to pay an outrageous amount of money for a crappy gym once I graduate (if I don't get a job on the air force base, which has like 6 gyms)

My university was the same in that there were no up-front costs, but it was factored into your tuition fees as one of the mandatory student services provided. I assume it varies by institution but ultimately you are paying for it whether the costs are bundled into your fees or separated out.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    £15.99 (about $23) for 24-hour gym and unlimited fitness classes.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2016
    Packerjohn wrote: »

How did the health exchanges come into being, and doesn't Obamacare have provisions for preventive programs?
    But ok. NOT part of Obamacare. But what happened in many places when Obamacare was implemented.

The preventative programs are tests like breast cancer screens, etc not healthclub membership

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    Forty6and2 wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the college students that have to pay for their university's gym! My university's gym has pretty much all the equipment you'd ever want (although only two squat racks), free group fitness classes, a pool, and cheap rates on personal trainers and a dietitian for all students. The only things you have to pay for (as mentioned earlier) are the personal trainers and dietitian if you choose to use those services.

Otherwise, I'm kinda nervous about the prospects of having to pay an outrageous amount of money for a crappy gym once I graduate (if I don't get a job on the air force base, which has like 6 gyms)

My university was the same in that there were no up-front costs, but it was factored into your tuition fees as one of the mandatory student services provided. I assume it varies by institution but ultimately you are paying for it whether the costs are bundled into your fees or separated out.

That is true. My university's tuition is super low too so I really don't mind it at all. And I use the gym all the freakin time (I even work there) so I feel like I get my money's worth!
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    $30 a month, plus 15 per kid for child care. That gives me access to all the classes (including the special ones) and I can bring a guest with me every visit.
  • skafka74
    skafka74 Posts: 19 Member
    I have Fitness Your Way through my health insurance. I pay $25 a month total and belong to two gyms (ANYtime Fitness and LA Fitness).
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    I paid 400 for 2 years for my husband and I. My kids are $25 a month total for up to 2 hours per day per adult (so I can take them for 2 hours in the morning and my hubby can take them for 2 hours at night - which only happens for my oldest when her bff is also going to be there in the afternoon and they can rock climb). Our gym is pretty great and would only be better if it also had a pool. But I go to a rec center to swim laps for 2 dollars a day drop in.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Not much. Cheap AF. Like $75/yr. Been there for 11yrs and I know people.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    We have a huge gym with a pool, classes, and such. We pay $150/month for my family of 5
  • sutibo
    sutibo Posts: 71 Member
    I just joined the one at work - small room - 3 treadmills, cross trainer, some weight machines, limited dumbells etc. but it costs £20 for the year.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Dang, y'all! I Googled gyms near me and checked prices on at least a dozen of them. There was literally not a single option less than $75/month. Is this a big city problem or what?

It's hard to find more affordable gyms in th city. Not sure what city you live in, but I'm in Chicago. I work out at a smaller gym and pay $49/month. That's with a $10 discount from my job. If you don't have a contract and pay month to month, it's $69.

We do have LA fitness and XSport for slightly cheaper. Granted they often have more amenities, I just don't use them and I'd have to commute to them as opposed to just walking.

I don't mind paying what I'm paying. I love my gym and the smaller gym feel. Many of the employees know me and everyone is very friendly!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited June 2016
    I work at a high school, so we have a gym with a lot of nice equipment that I can use for free. I just started going because school let out and the kids aren't here now. I'm hoping to lose a few pounds over summer and not be so self-conscious once school starts back up so I can keep going.

In the past, I paid $30 a month for LA Fitness (loved it, but don't live near it now) and I used to pay $15 a month to use a small gym in a chiropractor's office. I got fed up with them never repairing broken equipment and there was only 1 or 2 of everything and people just sat on them like chairs instead of actually walking across the room and sitting in the chairs provided. It made it very difficult to actually get anything done.

The only other gym in my area costs $150 for initiation and $60 a month on top of that. I would love to go there because its really nice and has a pool, but I can't afford it.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    edited June 2016
    London, UK. £16.99/month for 24 hour gym, plus £15/month for gym at work. That's about $25 & $21+change, respectively.

In a perfect world, I'd do one or the other, but this mix fits with my time available.
  • justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    They have actually been paying Me an appearance fee. It's perk to be being awesome :D
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    77.00 monthly Lifetime Fitness
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    They have actually been paying Me an appearance fee. It's perk to be being awesome :D

Lolz. Right.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    I'm in Houston. I pay $24.99/mo at LA Fitness for access to all their locations.

Previously I had 24hr Fitness @ 24.99/mo, and Planet Fitness @ $20/mo.