The 'after' is not what I expected :/

So many users on here have gorgeous 'after' photos - no loose skin, no stretch marks, good muscle to fat ratio. I'm so jealous of you all - ha ha! I'm 8lbs away from my goal weight and I'm covered in unattractive loose skin and stretch marks. Once I hit goal, I'm planning on transitioning into body re-composition to try and tighten things up a bit; however, I don't think I'm ever going to look the way I dreamt I would when I first started my weight loss journey. Some days, I hate my loose skin so much I'd rather go back to being fat. At least when I was fat, my skin was tight! Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish with this post. I just needed to vent about it, I guess. Carry on.

Replies

• cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    The first time I lost weight I felt this exact way. I just kept telling myself that I looked better with clothes on at least. There are some things on the net that suggest getting to a very low body fat % can help tighten skin, but mostly surgery is the route people take, after they have managed to maintain their loss for a good amount of time. Not the news you probably wanted to hear, so I hope other people have better suggestions for you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Fear not, my friend. Things get better.

Skin is elastic. Take note of how women's bodies will tighten back up after pregnancy. When you reach your goal weight, hold it for a few months. Continue taking your pictures and caring for your body. You'll begin to notice that it's returning to it's original composition. The reality is that focused efforts on weight loss are a bit quicker than your skins elasticity, but it will catch back up! :relaxed:
    It may or may not get better. There are certain factors that play into that: how much weight one had to lose, age, and genetics.
    I've helped lots of people lose more than 80lbs+ and the majority of them have loose skin somewhere on their body. That's even after waiting for up to 2 years.
    Not trying to dissuade the OP from working on exercise, but just being honest so that expectations aren't too high. Do what you can and hope for the best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TalkersNeverWin
    TalkersNeverWin Posts: 10 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Fear not, my friend. Things get better.

Skin is elastic. Take note of how women's bodies will tighten back up after pregnancy. When you reach your goal weight, hold it for a few months. Continue taking your pictures and caring for your body. You'll begin to notice that it's returning to it's original composition. The reality is that focused efforts on weight loss are a bit quicker than your skins elasticity, but it will catch back up! :relaxed:
    It may or may not get better. There are certain factors that play into that: how much weight one had to lose, age, and genetics.
    I've helped lots of people lose more than 80lbs+ and the majority of them have loose skin somewhere on their body. That's even after waiting for up to 2 years.
    Not trying to dissuade the OP from working on exercise, but just being honest so that expectations aren't too high. Do what you can and hope for the best.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Indeed. The clarity is necessary. Good additional info, broski.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    You are not alone. I'm one of the after stories and when I reached my goal I had loose skin, cellulite and I felt like I looked sickly instead of fit. I began lifting fairly early into my weight loss and it did help. I still have loose skin and cellulite. I also have stretch marks. My health has improved significantly though. The flaws are covered up by clothing 90% of the time.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Yup. I'm almost 65 pounds lighter than I was on July 30th, 2015. But I'm kind of disappointed in how I look until I measure a thigh and then enlarge the tape FIVE inches to remind myself of the thunder thighs I had less than a year ago. I'll take the crepey skin over the size, any day. Avoiding full length mirror is a good idea. They just make a girl sad. But please enjoy your better health and smaller size. :)