Why is weight loss and fitness always talked about as if they are interchangeable?

Replies

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    I do now, and will always exercise so that I can eat more of the things I love! I chose exercises that I know I will continue to do for that trade off. I don’t now, never have, and never will exercise because I think it is fun. For me, exercise is a necessary ingredient for sustainable weight and long term health. I also consider weight loss necessary for fitness. So, weight loss and fitness may not be interchangeable, but weight loss was the first step for me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    There would be no point me losing weight if fitness wasn't going to be a part of it.

Sure, I could lose weight with no exercise. I have done that. Lots of people do.

But the main reason I'm losing weight is so that I can exercise more. So my current weight loss is the result of a combination of eating slightly less and exercising more.
  • walker1world
    walker1world Posts: 259 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    There would be no point me losing weight if fitness wasn't going to be a part of it.

Sure, I could lose weight with no exercise. I have done that. Lots of people do.

But the main reason I'm losing weight is so that I can exercise more. So my current weight loss is the result of a combination of eating slightly less and exercising more.

I read this a long time ago and it just hit me what you said. I was having a discussion with someone else and they said something similar and It took me awhile to figure out where I had heard this before.

If your whole point of loosing weight is to exercise more then what happens if you can't exercise? Don't get me wrong I think fitness is a great thing but healthy and fitness is totally independent of each other. There are alot of fit people who aren't healthy. You hear about them all the time you know the marathon runner who has heart disease. Case in point Wilt Chamberlain died of a heart attack only a few days after completing a marathon. He was one of our premier athletes most of his life and always strived to be fit or in shape.

I have learned that using terms like fitness, healthy and weight loss interchangeablly leeds people think they are doing one when they are doing the other.

• walker1world

You can be fit and still be unhealthy. How many times have you heard of the man that runs marathons that has the heart attack.

When wilt chamberlain died he has ran a marathon the day before.

If you are obese and you lose weight there are a lot of medications doctors usually take you off.

So I try not to link the 2 activities.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I calorie count to lose weight.... I exercise to get away from the zombies faster than you. Simple:)

You, madam, are awesome.
  • walker1world
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Most folks here believe that weight loss happens from a caloric deficit, period. Add exercise for fitness -- and because it's great -- but it's not a prerequisite for losing weight. That's what I get from these boards, and I agree.

Have you ever asked your self what are the mechanics of fat storage in the human body?

Is it that when you eat something it goes into a little furnace and gets burned if there is to much food it gets stored as fat?

Our body is a lot more complicated then that. Our body is manged by hormones. We do what our hormomes tell us to do. We my try to fight it but we give in to our hormomes eventually.

Calories in calories out leaves the question what body organ uses calories for fuel?
  • walker1world

Thank you
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2016
    Case in point Wilt Chamberlain died of a heart attack only a few days after completing a marathon. He was one of our premier athletes most of his life and always strived to be fit or in shape.

Wilt Chamberlain? I don't think he was in any kind of shape to be running a marathon a few days before his death, having been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, losing over 50 pounds, and being in very poor health in the months leading up to his death.

Are you thinking of Jim Fixx, perhaps? He popularized "jogging" and died while running, although not during nor immediately following a marathon. Fixx had a genetic predisposition toward heart disease (his father died young of a heart attack) and was a heavy smoker.

In any case, there are rare sudden deaths associated with long distance running in people who seem to be perfectly healthy. There can be significant changes to the heart that may not cause any symptoms.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Wilt Chamberlain is dead? How did I miss that?
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    I'll throw in my 2 cents and add that the term fitness lacks a clear definition. What are the exact parameters of fitness? does it include bodyfat% or do you have to beable to accomplish a particular thing? what is fitness exactly.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

You can be fit and still be unhealthy. How many times have you heard of the man that runs marathons that has the heart attack.

If you are obese and you lose weight there are a lot of medications doctors usually take you off.

You can be the picture of health and still suddenly die of something you had no say in. That's just the way it goes sometimes. All your weight etc. does is alter your risk, it is never 0, ever.
  • walker1world

You can be the picture of health and still suddenly die of something you had no say in. That's just the way it goes sometimes. All your weight etc. does is alter your risk, it is never 0, ever.

I feel what you are saying but being fit a dieing of a heart attack is nonsensical. If you are fit but you have low dense chlorestorol floating around in your blood then you maybe focusing on the wrong thing if living is what matters.
  • walker1world
    I'll throw in my 2 cents and add that the term fitness lacks a clear definition. What are the exact parameters of fitness? does it include bodyfat% or do you have to beable to accomplish a particular thing? what is fitness exactly.

Good question,

One definition is The condition of being fit, suitable or appropriate.

Fit means in shape physically.

I take from this that if you can do activities without killing your self you are fit. A few years ago the Boston marathon doubled the amount of people that completed the race that bmi put them over weight. Those people are fit but they still are over weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member

Good question,

One definition is The condition of being fit, suitable or appropriate.

Fit means in shape physically.

I take from this that if you can do activities without killing your self you are fit. A few years ago the Boston marathon doubled the amount of people that completed the race that bmi put them over weight. Those people are fit but they still are over weight.

This is a very good question that probably varies from person to person depending on their age, health, and physical limitations. Someone who is in pain or has injuries may see being "fit" as the ability to accomplish everyday tasks without help. Someone who has a sedentary job may want to be able to climb stairs without panting. Or someone who is already conditioned to exercise may want to be more "fit " so that they can climb a mountain or run a marathon. So maybe fitness is relative?
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    I feel what you are saying but being fit a dieing of a heart attack is nonsensical. If you are fit but you have low dense chlorestorol floating around in your blood then you maybe focusing on the wrong thing if living is what matters.

So, if you have any predisposition toward heart disease, you should give up on the pursuit of fitness? Bizarre theory. Not every heart attack is caused by an overabundance of LDL...

After reading this whole thread, I'm still not quite sure what the message is that you want to send. I think the problem lies in your premise that many posters on MFP equate being at a healthy weight with being fit, which I have not observed. Then somehow it seems like that segued into the idea that there is no sense in pursuing fitness if it will not lead to immortality.

Personally, I strongly advocate for a balanced approach - fitness and a healthy weight are both desirable goals and should be pursued jointly to achieve one's personal optimal level of health.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    ziggy2006 wrote: »

...After reading this whole thread, I'm still not quite sure what the message is that you want to send. I think the problem lies in your premise that many posters on MFP equate being at a healthy weight with being fit, which I have not observed....
    Personally, I strongly advocate for a balanced approach - fitness and a healthy weight are both desirable goals and should be pursued jointly to achieve one's personal optimal level of health.

Right. I want to be healthy, fit and trim. I can lose weight first without exercise and try to recomp later. Another option would be to exercise simultaneously while I'm calorie counting to preserve lean body mass. Or I could put off losing weight for a bit, maintain current weight and start working out first and then tackle cutting and losing weight later. They are all options.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Linebackers are overweight and very fit.. They have body fat for a reason.. You can be overweight and healthy and you can be overweight and fit.

Lost in translation? Am I missing something..

I read somewhere the other day that choosing to do your running very early morning upon getting out bed increases your risk for heart attack or stroke. It is the timing of the day you choose to exercise. I found this alarming and it really is true.. this does not mean you are not fit.