Foods that Make you do a number 2 and prevention for athlete

Options
Hello all going to be doing a 100 mile Mt Bike race again in 2 weeks. Requires lots of on the bike (on the go nutrition)
I really need some advice, on what to eat so i dont repeat from last year. Where about 3 hours in i had to do a few emergency number 2s into the bush, not good thing
problem at time was too much protein

i was consuming, Clif Gels, and hAmmer nutrition Perpeteum, which the perpeteum i believe was what made the problem. since then no longer use

however on a training ride today, about 3 hours in. I think i had a similar situation
was consuming Gels on ride.

for breakfast today, Yogurt, Muffin, Cheerios, Coffee, strawberries.

Would the strawberries cause this? eg fibre? would yogurt be a problem too being a dairy product.

Suggestions on this please.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Check in the Fitness and Exercise forum.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Suggestion 1 - Try chucking the gels - they are well known for causing digestive "distress". If you need fuel, try a combination of jelly babies/beans or soft candy and electrolytes in one of your water bottles.

Suggestion 2 - Part of the reason this happens is that, as you exert, your brain diverts blood from the digestive system to provide oxygen to muscles. Your digestive system doesn't want to take the risk of having all this partially digested stuff hanging around which it doesn't have the resources to process, so does an "emergency release." How soon after breakfast did you ride? I'd recommend waiting at least 2 hours or more - I have IBS, and if I ate what you had eaten, I'd have to wait at least 3 hours before being able to out on a run. Maybe eat less before - possibly a protein bar, something like this and more after to refuel.

Suggestion 3 - Not to be used regularly!! Sometimes before races, when I know that toilets will be in short supply and horrible, I take an imodium about 1/2 an hour before the gun. I also carry those dissolvable imodium instants when I run, just in case. This should only be done on race day - trust me, you will make the problem worse if you use them regularly!!

• worldtraveller321
    worldtraveller321 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Would eating these trail mix
    Trail Mix Chewy Granola Bar be good source or recommended source for on the bike nutrition?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a triathlete friend who has problems similar to this. He swears by a handful of mini marshmallows. 2-3 normal size ones or a handful of the little ones.
    He takes them in before the run on a half Ironman distance,not sure how that would translate to long distance biking.
    Maybe google about it?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows are good at binding you up
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Marshmallows are good at binding you up

@singingflutelady

Ha. We both read that comment.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I posted it too ;) I have used this trick before though it doesn't work as well with Crohn's patients ;) chips and bananas and anything with gelatin works too. All approved by my dietician ;) #crohnsproblems
  • worldtraveller321
    Options
    Just a question do you think consuming Oero cookies during a race would work? anyone try? 2 cookies is 110 calories. i know there is fat there, but more real vs a gel almost? figure i ask before i try in next training ride
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Just a question do you think consuming Oero cookies during a race would work? anyone try? 2 cookies is 110 calories. i know there is fat there, but more real vs a gel almost? figure i ask before i try in next training ride

Personally, oreos make me do emergency #2s that looks like chocolate cookies ground into a fine powder, but that could just be me.
  • neckbreaka
    neckbreaka Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat a bowl of broccoli in the morning and down it with a large cup of coffee. You'll be *kitten* in 1-2 hours.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Banana clogs, pear and prunes make you go
  • worldtraveller321
    Options
    Hi all just an update. I found that a combination of Gummy bears and pretzels seem to be the thing that works for me for the on the bike race energy plan. tried this in a long 6 hour training ride where i was riding hard.
    all goes down better then Gels , no stomach distress or any emergency pooping at all. so far so good. figure i leave an update here since this forum went for some time.