Thanks Diet Pepsi, you just lost a customer-need suggestions

Replies

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Canadian Diet Pepsi is still avec Aspartame. Have any friends close to the border than can pop...across and grab some for you?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    So, OP, have you tried any new beverages? Did you like any?

Diet mug rootbeer was a huge hit. Also stocked up on Sprite Zero, and caffeine free Diet Coke.

Tried sparkling ice lemonade flavor and at first was like "ehhhh not sure I like this", then half through was like "okay, it's not tooooooooo bad", and after I finished it was like "Ohhh I actually liked that" haha.

Tried diet ginger ale-but heck no. Took one sip and it reminded me of when I was little and would have vomiting. Already have some mild morning sickness and this made it 1000x worse haha.

Diet ginger ale is never good! Diet Sprite and Diet Slice are good.

Lol. My work partner swore up and down diet ginger ale was awesome and I would absolutely love it..... Needless to say the bottle got chucked at him after the first sip.

Just out of curiosity, was it plain ginger ale? I can't stand that, either. But, Schweppes makes Dry Grape and Raspberry ginger ales that I really like. Unfortunately, I don't see those items on their website, so I don't know exactly what's in them, or if they even make those any more. I haven't had them in quite a while - not sure why.

Yes-it was plain diet.
    htimpaired wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    Diet Coke :) (and water of course. Why do people assume that one must be drunk at the exclusion of the other? Boggle.)

Congrats on the little one!

Thank you!
    myaminals wrote: »
    i don't know how you feel about orange soda, but it is caffeine free. i like crush brand:)

I've never seen diet orange soda?

Sunkist has a good diet orange soda. I think there might be caffeine in it actually. Another one I like is Diet A&W root beer, or diet cream soda. Also 7-up makes diet cherry 7-up.
    Now I want cream soda.
    Edited to add-around here the movie theater and grocery store (wegmans-I love you) has a machine where you pick your soda base (like ginger ale-diet) and then can add flavor shots. I love it because I always loved grape or raspberry ginger ale but Shwepps (spelling I know) doesn't make it in diet.
    Edited some more because I just read the page where you said about the red40-d'oh!

I dont know where you live, but in western ny we have Saranac brewery that makes pretty yummy diet soda.

The flavor shots sound amazing. Haven't seen that around here. Might be something to look into. I live on the boarder of NYC.

BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    Canadian Diet Pepsi is still avec Aspartame. Have any friends close to the border than can pop...across and grab some for you?

Sadly no. Although Canada of not too far of a drive if we made a 3-day weekend out of it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'd just switch to water. ;)All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too. What better time to give it up than during pregnancy when chemicals would not be a good thing to introduce to a fetus.

I know you said you aren't asking why you shouldn't but I'm just saying if you don't like the taste now would be a time to cut it out. It has zero value for a person and that is just my opinion. I have the occasional full sugar soda which I know also has no value in my diet. So I get that people want it but if you don't like the taste don't drink it. For the record I stopped drinking soda(regular i never drank diet) for caffeine reasons. ;)
    *Groan*
    Yes, a reputable scientific source pointing to this....information....would be fantastic.
    Aspartame is.....oh, wait for it.....wait for it...
    2 amino acids.

Are you saying amino acids are teh badz?

And this is how threads get derailed.

"Hey, suggest an alternate llama, maybe?"
    "Here's a llama"
    "There's a llama"
    "And another little llama"
    "Fuzzy llama"
    "Funny llama"
    "Llama"
    "Llama"
    "Duck. Also llamas causes cancer"

I'm not giving up my llama.

OR cheesecake thankyouverymuch.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I'd just switch to water. ;) All of those chemical sweeteners are not good for health. They are possible causes of everything from cancer to migraines. I'd avoid it. I've avoided it since 2000 or so. I never liked diet soda and would rather have none than drink that disgusting aftertaste. aspartame is the worst in my opinion for aftertaste. But they are 100 times or so more addictive than regular sugar too.

Citation needed

Not really it's everywhere. And unlikely to make a person stop using it because of its addictiveness until they realize they have a problem(not saying anyone here does but I have family that do). There are actually groups in my state trying to get over their addiction to it. Like AA. http://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine.com/Articles/2013/June/ASPARTAME-NUTRASWEET-ADDICTION.aspx

I don't think having a sweet drink occasionally is a problem it just can become one if people become addicted and drink massive amounts a case a day or every other even is too much if you ask me. I have a can of regular soda here and there. Especially if I need the caffeine boost from missing my usual amount of sleep or something. Though I generally avoid caffeine due to my anxiety disorder I will consume it at times. And that is when I'd worry about aspartame's scariness. Because if someone is addicted they get to where they drink nothing else and drink 24+ cans a day is a LOT of sweetener. Just because it doesn't have calories doesn't mean it won't cause insulin problems or others. Again as I said above your body do what you want I'm not trying to fear monger anyone or I would have posted a ton of links, just my personal beliefs on it and why I avoid it because I have seen the addictive issues in family as well as complications from headaches and to her diabetes.

As a recoverin alcoholic who used to attend AA (been sober for years) the idea that someone considers aspartame addictive to the point they have groups like AA is insulting and offensive. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I am going to say this nice one last time. Please take your fear mongering elsewhere and please stop derailing my thread. Thank you.

Agreed 100%
    Offensive as heck.
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    tacosticks wrote: »
    I'm on a strict low-FODMAP diet, and sucralose DESTROYS my guts lmao. May I recommend Fresca? It's kinda grapefruit-y/citrus-y tasting and it's 0 cal with aspartame! :smiley: It's my saviour as quite a few diet drinks have sucralose haha

Thank you, I thought I was the only one that liked Fresca! I'm a Diet Coke kinda gal but I drink Fresca when I feel like a change. The peach citrus is pretty good.
  • hartk001
    hartk001 Posts: 51 Member
    Why not carbonated water. The supermarket brands are inexpensive, I buy Lidl, and add a dash of Lemmon or lime or both. A lovely refreshing drink straight from the fridge
  • elphie754
    hartk001 wrote: »
    Why not carbonated water. The supermarket brands are inexpensive, I buy Lidl, and add a dash of Lemmon or lime or both. A lovely refreshing drink straight from the fridge

Because they aren't sweet tasting and I don't like them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member

I've found diet root beer to be a lovely, refreshing drink straight from the fridge. :)
  • esnider211
    esnider211 Posts: 30 Member
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me...

just a pepsi.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    glassyo wrote: »

I've found diet root beer to be a lovely, refreshing drink straight from the fridge. :)

Yes it is!!!

Lol all this talk about rootbeer makes me want a rootbeer goat. float.

Edit-whisky tango foxtrot autocorrect, a rootbeer goat?!?

WTF? :p

I was in trader joe's the other day and this thread had me looking for the Hansen's diet root beer. It's really the only soda I drink anymore and usually when I come in after walking outside in the heat. But the *kitten* were out! :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    LOL root beer goat. Then again, if you can do it with lamb, you can probably do it with goat:

t3c5rp8hq2g5.jpg

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/06/richard-dont-call-me-molecular.html

I really like Hansen's diet root beer. It's different though - much less vanilla? Hansen's diet ginger ale is way better than Canada Dry.

What's everyone's general feelings on stevia as a diet soda sweetener? Zevia doesn't have food dye in any of their sodas, but they're crazy expensive, and maybe too much like sucralose..?
  • elphie754
    LOL root beer goat. Then again, if you can do it with lamb, you can probably do it with goat:

t3c5rp8hq2g5.jpg

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/06/richard-dont-call-me-molecular.html

I really like Hansen's diet root beer. It's different though - much less vanilla? Hansen's diet ginger ale is way better than Canada Dry.

What's everyone's general feelings on stevia as a diet soda sweetener? Zevia doesn't have food dye in any of their sodas, but they're crazy expensive, and maybe too much like sucralose..?

Lol. I'll take one rootbeer marinated goat to go please.

I personally hate the taste of stevia. Anytime I have ever tried it, it least a nauseating aftertaste in my mouth. I know other people swear by it though.
  • ulcaster555
    ulcaster555 Posts: 1,150 Member
    coffee, water
  • elphie754
    coffee, water

Neither of those are soda-like suggestions.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Since you mentioned sparkling ice I really like the cherry limeade and the black raspberry flavours.

The apple one is pretty good if you like apple cider. Most of the Sparkling Ice flavors are too sweet for my taste. My vote is for diet squirt, if you can find it. It was always my favorite diet soda. It's still being produced, but disappeared from my local grocery stores years ago :angry:

I make do with diet A&W root beer (not as spicy as diet IBC root beer, but still pleasant - very vanilla-y).

ETA: Make do because diet IBC is another soda that's vanished from the local grocery stores. I think I'm seeing a pattern. My drink choices are clearly not mainstream :smiley:
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    I really like diet orange soda, but I just want to point out that they aren't all caffeine free. Diet Sunkist orange has caffeine. I learned that one the hard way.

My caffeine-free diet soda has always been diet A&W root beer. Sometimes I get diet ginger ale or diet cream soda.

We call diet Sunkist "liquid crack" because of the caffeine lol. I don't know if it applies to regular Sunkist.

I drink a lot of caffeine daily (mostly coffee) and can barely drink Sunkist without bouncing off the walls.

It's very tasty.

I know I've seen another brand that is caffeine free diet orange - maybe minute made orangeaid? Something like that.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Curse you PepsiCo, why did you ruin Diet Pepsi and make Pepsi Max impossible to find?

• elphie754
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    Curse you PepsiCo, why did you ruin Diet Pepsi and make Pepsi Max impossible to find?

They are secretly sadists :p
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    sorry, I can not believe that this conversation is still going.