New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

keesh1123
keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
Welcome to the EM2WL MFP forum!

Joining a new forum can be daunting (information everywhere!) and it can feel lonely when you are packed between thousands of other members, but we don't want you to feel that way! EM2WL is a family of encouraging members who don't desire to see anyone slip through the cracks!

So that we know you are here :) , please introduce yourself and tell us a little about what brought you here!

Welcome aboard!

Replies

• keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    edited June 2016
    Hi Tee
    Welcome! Glad you are here. You will get lots of support here and also over at EM2WL.com Many share their journeys of what they are going through that I'm sure you will find helpful.
    http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20
    Depending on what background of diets/under eating you have this will help you see if the best step for you is a metabolism reset http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    If you'd like to send me a friend request I will definitely be there to support you and you can look in my diary etc.
    This is also very useful to cut out all the confusion and give you the facts so you can get started
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    Any problems or questions, just let me know.
    ~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator

Welcome @shunelIno5 !

I echo what Ichel said! Please let us know if you have any questions!

Lakeshia
    EM2WL Moderator & Ambassador
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Welcome on board!
    Good to see you looking at something different than what you did before. Make sure you start with the basics and move on slowly not to get overwhelmed. Check out EM2WL starter guide. It's free and will give you a starting point for your journey: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Welcome aboard!!! You will love the freedom this way of life is!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi Marissa
    Glad you are here. If there is anything you need help with please let us know.
    It's a very supportive community and great forum of people sharing their journeys as they go through it over on the EM2WL website too.

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20

~Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • slimshady2017
    slimshady2017 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm Sarah from UK, 40 years old. Currently weigh 188lbs and goal is 146lbs.

I've just used scoobys workshop to work out my stats and so have edited my MFP goal to 2089 calories a day (based on the fact I just joined the gym and will be working out at least 3 days). I'll use my fitbit to track my workouts and I think I understand it correctly, that I should still log my workouts and if the exercise pushes my net calories below my BMR of 1585 then I should eat those back until I am at 1585 again?

I read that I need to recalculate my BMR/TDEE/Cut every 5lbs. The scooby site says I should reach goal in just over a year which is fantastic news. I've been stagnant for about 10 years at this weight losing and gaining the same 14lbs so I am in no rush!

I think the biggest challenge for me is going to be meeting the macro goals. I eat way too little protein, so I think protein shakes may become my new best friend!

Looking forward to learning more :smile:
  • TerezaToledo
    Hi Sarah, welcome! Good to see you here! 1 year is a great time frame for your goal and I'm glad you are willing to take the time and be patient about this.

If you input your activity level correctly (or as close as you can), the calculator will give you a close result to what the fitbit gives you. If you symc the fitbit with mfp, you don't have to manually add your workouts to add the calories, it will do it for you. If you chose to manually put the Scooby TDEE, that's fine as well, no need to add the exercise calories, they are already there, making it simpler. But if you start working out more, you definitely have to readjust it. No, you don't want to go below your BMR, so aim for a small cut as a starter. It's good to have some room to wiggle, if you're you start too low and don't see results, you have nowhere to go.

Increase your protein slowly. Shakes are great. Start by adding and extra ounce or two of protein per meal, use milk for the shakes, add some beans, cheese and yogurt.

We are here to help with any questions you have.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • slimshady2017
    Hi Tereza,

I've just synched my fitbit so that's easier than having to manually add the workouts. Thank you for the tip :)

My TDEE is 2458 and cut is 2089 so that seems ok? or should I aim for an even higher calorie goal for now?

One decision we made in the last few days which came before I decided to use EM2WL was to stop choosing low fat everything. I've made a lasagne tonight with regular minced beef instead of the 5% fat stuff we got used to buying when were were at Slimming World group. I'd forgotten how tasty things can be! Full fat cream cheese - oh my word, so good!

My challenge will be eventually figuring out how to get the macro ratios right. Thank you for the tips, I love dairy food and beans so I'll increase those, and I'm sure I will get it close to the targets eventually.

Thank you very much for your advice, appreciate it.

Sarah
  • TerezaToledo
    Sarah, you are on the right track! Ditching the fat free and diet stuff (unless you have medical reasons or just like it - I just like my fat free milk because I hate the cream on top when I heat it up) is a good start. More flavour, less hungry! Looks like you are starting with at 15% cut. Depending on how much you were eating before, you could start with 10%, just to have extra room. It's always best to aim higher. You can always cut a little more if you need and started higher.

For the macros, don't worry about removing, worry anout adding. Adding more protein will crowd out carbs, for instance. Just make your protein portion a liitle bit bigger at every meal as a starter. Check out our protein challenge, just for fun: http://eatmore2weighless.com/eat-enough-protein/
    Also nuts are a great way to add more protein. No rush, take your time, just keep doing it. Patience and consistency go hand in hand here.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    edited June 2016
    @slimshady2017 Sarah, Kiki Smith (EM2WL co-founder) posted this quick video on Facebook about how to nail your macros: https://www.facebook.com/EM2WL/videos/1141387395913666/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • slimshady2017
    thank you :) I'm changing it to 10% now and then see how it goes over the next couple of months.
  • WM1908
    WM1908 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello! My name is Wendy. I am 38 and tired of the yo yo diet thing. None of it has worked long term and I am at the stage of the game where I just want to be healthy. I want to eat real food and move my butt for the good of my future. EM2WL seems like the way to go about that! Feel free to friend me. I could always use like minded friends!
  • TerezaToledo
    Hello Wendy, welcome to our board!
    Yoyo dieting can suck the life out of you, literally. Wears your body and spirit out. I was 36 when I started and i wanted more of life. I pledged to be different when 40 and now at 41 all I can say is that I did it. I am a different person, physically and mentally, I am so glad I took the plunge. Don't let all the info overwhelm you, just start slowly and keep going.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Good morning! I'm Dana...I'm not new to MFP but new to this group! I just started a PHUL program and am looking to clean up my eating, but not feel deprived. I have the biggest sweet tooth in the world!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 842 Member
    Glad you joined us @Badger_Girl99 - you will love it here, tons of information is available if you are just starting out!

http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
  • TerezaToledo
    Hello Dana, welcome! Yay for joining us!
    I could say that all my teeth are sweet, lol. You will find lots of support from great folks in this forum!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @slimshady2017
    I'm from the UK too