HIIT how many calories?

does anyone know how to calculate how many calories are burned when doing high intensity interval training (HIIT)? I've been working working for about 30 minutes with my trainer doing HIIT and I've read you can burn about 1000 calories n hr doing it, is there a way to correctly figure how many calories u actually burn!?

Replies

• neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    You will need to get a heart rate monitor preferably one with a chest strap this is the most accurate way to find how many calories you are burning.

Katy
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    What I did is added it in two parts, the amount of time I sprinted and the time I fast walked.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    does anyone know how to calculate how many calories are burned when doing high intensity interval training (HIIT)? I've been working working for about 30 minutes with my trainer doing HIIT and I've read you can burn about 1000 calories n hr doing it, is there a way to correctly figure how many calories u actually burn!?

Well You may want to invest in a HR monitor Like Polar with a chest strap. But every one is different. HIITs are not aways ment to be done for long periods of time but shorter with more intensity. I average about 250-300 calories in 30min when I and doing HIITs but again it depends on the Kind of HIITs your doing.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member

Well You may want to invest in a HR monitor Like Polar with a chest strap. But every one is different. HIITs are not aways ment to be done for long periods of time but shorter with more intensity. I average about 250-300 calories in 30min when I and doing HIITs but again it depends on the Kind of HIITs your doing.
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    The Polar FT4 is the muts nuts. This will give you everything you want at a reasonable price.
  • SunnyLynnie
    SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
    If you're like me and you're too cheap to buy a heart monitor :wink:, take your pulse when you're in recovery, and again during your hardest phase, and figure out the average.

The following equation from the Journal of Sports Sciences calculates the calorie expenditure for women:
    Calories = [(0.074 x Age) + (0.4472 x Heart Rate) -- (0.05741 x Weight) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.
    (weight is in pounds and time is in minutes)

(From http://www.livestrong.com/article/228774-calories-burned-from-high-intensity-interval-training/#ixzz24fAqabqr)

I used this formula and calculated that for my high-intensity interval jog for 30 minutes burns 400 calories, which sounds just about right to me. Hope that helps!
  • abbiesherwood
    abbiesherwood Posts: 1 Member
    Im also trying to find the answer for this, If you look at circuit training which is a little similar you can lose about 800 calories in 40 minutes! But the thing with Hiit is not the calories you burn during the session but your body carrys on burning calories for 48 hours after Hiit! so its so hard to accuratly measure the calories burnt. i would guess about 800 though as long as you have really pushed yourself to breaking point!
    My instructor always says unless you puke faint or die...keep going!
    x
  • nikkinz
    nikkinz Posts: 30 Member
    Before my hrm if I used a treadmill or eliptical I log my active rest and sprint separatley. 10 mins level 10, 10 mins at level 5.
    Remember one of the benefits of HIIT is that you burn more calories during the next 12-48hrs depending on intensity of the workout.
    I read somewhere that the maximum number of calories from afterburn effect is 15% of the workout calories burned. Don't remember where I read it or even if its true.
  • ryanosb
    ryanosb Posts: 1
    Nikkinz is correct! Hiit has more of an effect after it is done than hike it is being performed. Not only does it turn you body into a fat burning machine for sometimes up to 48 hours, it also increase high levels while minimizing cortisol levels unlike low intensity cardio. It is the best. But start with a 1:3 ratio if you have never done it before! Hope this helps
  • ClaudiaRoseR
    ClaudiaRoseR Posts: 1 Member
    I think it's about 250-300 calories per half hour. Personally, when logging HIIT into MyFitnessPal (since technically you can't), I log it under 'Jumping Jacks, Vigorous' and since I usually do at least 2 or 3 minutes of vigorous jumping jacks in my HIIT workouts I feel like it's pretty accurate. For example, today I did 12 minutes HIIT and logged it in under that and it said I burnt 102 calories (I'm 62KG).
  • elmana
    elmana Posts: 5 Member
    I thought the whole principal of doing HIIT as opposed to regular cardio is, you continue to burn fat and calories even after you get off the machine so basically you'll never know. Essentially, when you do high-intensity interval training (HIIT), your body and metabolism function at a higher rate of burned calories for hours and hours afterwards. Check out this article.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/01/what-burns-more-calories-cardio-intervals-or-weight-training/
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    I know this is a very old thread but still applicable so wanted to weigh in- I was curious about my burn so I used the heartrate I achieve during my sprints and recovery periods to calculate the calories (there are lots of calculators online that do this.) I haven't decided to buy a HRM yet so I honestly just use the heart rate monitors on the machine (usually on the handles, look for the metal plates.) If you grasp that it should display your heartrate on the screen. I cycle for my HIIT workouts (30 seconds sprint, 1 min 30 seconds recovery, for 20 minutes) and it works pretty well.
    Here's the good thing about not really ever knowing how many calories you're burning: you don't eat them back. :) I think the exercises in MFP's database grossly overestimate calories burned and a lot of people eat them all back and wonder why they have slow progress. Best not to if you can help it. I don't even log my HIIT for that very reason.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Adah_m wrote: »
    I know this is a very old thread but still applicable so wanted to weigh in- I was curious about my burn so I used the heartrate I achieve during my sprints and recovery periods to calculate the calories (there are lots of calculators online that do this.) I haven't decided to buy a HRM yet so I honestly just use the heart rate monitors on the machine (usually on the handles, look for the metal plates.) If you grasp that it should display your heartrate on the screen. I cycle for my HIIT workouts (30 seconds sprint, 1 min 30 seconds recovery, for 20 minutes) and it works pretty well.
    Here's the good thing about not really ever knowing how many calories you're burning: you don't eat them back. :) I think the exercises in MFP's database grossly overestimate calories burned and a lot of people eat them all back and wonder why they have slow progress. Best not to if you can help it. I don't even log my HIIT for that very reason.

That's pretty broad advice.

And some of us eat back all the exercise calories and are still successful.

If you chose not to use MFP's exercise calories, you need to find a way to account for exercise if you are using MFP's calorie calculations since it does not account for exercise.

It isn't a big deal to ignore exercise calories if you are lightly exercising and/or have a lot of weight to lose or if you have a high calorie intake to start but it is very important for someone who is very active or someone who is already set to a low calorie goal to start.

Eating 1500 calories and ignoring a walk or a light circuit session is one thing. Eating 1500 calories and ignoring 1000 calories from exercise is another.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2016
    :s Effing zombie thread
  • GingerNutAddiction
    GingerNutAddiction Posts: 14 Member
    15 calories a min according to daily mail lol dependa on weights aswell tho.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    @Adah_m
    Not logging a short HIIT session (very low calorie burn) probably isn't going to make a big difference but extrapolating this into general advice for everyone not to log exercise calories doesn't actually make sense.
    If I don't log the 100 miles of cycle riding I do a week it would be very significant.
    BTW - not everyone on here is seeking to lose weight, slow progress isn't necessarily a bad thing even if you are. Also lot of people also set an inappropriately fast weight loss goal and your idea would make that even worse.

If you don't want to estimate on the day then set your calorie goal using a TDEE calculator and not using MFP.
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    @sijomial
    I couldn't agree more not everyone is seeking weight loss. Some are here to hold themselves accountable for fitness and nutrition. My goal is to lose weight and I chose to log every workout be it cardio or strength so I know what is working best for my weight loss goals.

@Adah_m
    I wouldn't trust the machines HRM system to be accurate. I actually did invest in a Polar fitness HRM and the machines were way off. I do agree however that some cardio/strength training calories burned are over estimated in MFP that's why I rely on my HRM to confirm my total calories burned and make the adjustments when I log my exercise in MFP.

Not every HIIT workout is the same so it's hard to measure the exact calories burned but doing 12-15 minutes of burpees, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, crunches, crescent kicks, and planks I track it as aerobics (intense) because well I just about can't breath and I measure my workouts based on my ability to breath. If I can carry on a conversation I'm not working hard enough. ;)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I cycle for my HIIT workouts (30 seconds sprint, 1 min 30 seconds recovery, for 20 minutes) and it works pretty well.

That's 5 minutes of sprinting and 15 minutes of rest! I hope you're not doing this because somebody convinced you that HIIT would burn more calories than just riding at a moderate pace for 20.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    mollie6986 wrote: »

Mollie, that's like asking how many mpg can I get in my car driving fast? Depends on which car, temperature, tires, wind, altitude, weight of the car, etc... .

Depends on your weight, gender, age, how hard you went (what heart rate Zone you were in for you), and a lot of factors that all end up in a wild axx guess based on algorithms.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-and-weight-loss/calories-burned-in-30-minutes-of-leisure-and-routine-activities

You say HIIT. Is that Zone 3, Zone 4, Zone 5a, Zone 5b, or Zone 5c for you? How hard are you going compared to your FTP (functional threshold power)?
  • suede313
    suede313 Posts: 10 Member
    edited July 2017
    Mollie, I wear a heart monitor on a strap during my 60 minute HIIT and always burn between 450
    and 585 a session depending on how hard I work. I do Orange Theory Fitness 3x per week. Hard work but SO worth it.