Riding a bike to lose weight?

delsey2007
delsey2007 Posts: 68 Member
Anyone lose weight by riding a bike? I don't mean the kind in the gym...like a REAL bike.
I'm trying to find something I'll stick to and I think that might be my best bet.
Success stories?

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    At one time (many years ago) I was a runner. Knees began to bother me - so at the advice of someone I switched to cycling. I became hooked. But not a pleasure rider dawdling along on a bike path - but killer rides - 40 fast miles every night after work and 100-200 hilly miles on the weekends. The weight dropped off me like magic and I weighed the least of my adult life (to date LOL) and was in the best shape ever. Like... hot. I never counted calories. But - I quit. Way too many close calls with aggressive vehicles and I began to get spooked and nervous and the joy went out of it. But to answer your question - I believe it is an EXCELLENT way to lose weight - but unless you are putting in A LOT of miles and really grinding out the pace (20 MPH+) - I'm not sure it's the "best" alternative. But at least you're outside, moving, and it IS fun...
  • BlondeTheHardWay
    BlondeTheHardWay Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2016
    I ride a stationary bike by Schwinn that has controls to make it harder and has digital controls so you can set your own workout. Sorry hon, but I consider for myself this is safer than risking getting run over by our cowboys out here and their pickup trucks!
    I would love to be able to ride safely around on our roads!!!
    Oh, I lost 20 pounds! It is kinda boring staring at the wall ahead of me though so I got a small flat screen TV at Walmart and now I can enjoy working out much more.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. Exercise can help create the deficit, but you still have to be conscious of how much you're eating.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I lost a butt load of weight riding a bike. It's a great calorie burner. Now it allows me to eat all the foods!
  • gana2win
    gana2win Posts: 14 Member
    My husband started riding about 3 months ago ( about 22-25 mile a day) and he has definitely lost weight without changing his eating habits. Though he hasn't gotten on the scale, he has dropped one pant size.
    I started riding my bike 4 weeks ago. ( a very old basic Schwinn bike; but it does the job.)
    I only ride 10-14 miles every other day. I also walk 3-4 miles on the days I don't ride my bike. I have seen a big difference adding the riding to my daily exercise routine. I burn more calories riding my bike in the same amount of time that I spend walking. About 200 calorie difference between 1 hour of walking and 1 hour on the bike.
    It's a workout going up and down the hills where I live, whether it's walking or riding a bike. But the extra calorie burn riding the bike is making a difference for me. Enjoy the ride!

• Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    I have been cycling for 4 years and is does help you lose weight. I recently started incorporating more exercise with my cycling and have lost 13 pounds since February. I cycle one day a week for 2 hours. The longest ride I have done is 54 miles.
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Biking has definitely helped me. Average weekend ride is 3-4 hours and 1500-2000 calories. I wind up eating about half of that back, but that still means about an extra pound lost a month.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 650 Member
    Biking is a great way to lose weight since it does burn a lot of calories. If you can find a good bike path in your area, it would make it more interesting and therefore more likely to stick with it. It is also great for your heart as well.
  • cten77
    cten77 Posts: 1 Member
    I rode my bike over 2000 miles last year and I think the most important thing about riding to lose weight is you have to ride fast or ride up hills and you have to keep pedaling and pushing yourself (not coasting along) to burn those calories.