The difference a year makes.

arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
Last year I went with my husband to Virginia and DC. We had a wonderful time, riding horses, walking the streets of Washington. One day we were driving and I saw a sign for a waterfall. I love waterfalls and being a Florida girl, dont get to see them too often!

Well the walk down was beautiful, steep but breathtaking. We stayed for a while and then started our ascent. I couldn't go more that a 20-30 feet without stopping, and even had to sit and rest.

My heart was racing, pounding in my ears. I was MORTIFIED! My husband could care less...take your time he said the entire time. Still...how could I have let myself get so out of shape.

This year we went to the Smokey Mountains. I love those hills and valleys, and could not WAIT to go hiking. This time was entirely different. We tackled a 2 mile hike up a snow covered mountain....very steep, very beautiful.

My DH knew I had something to prove...to myself, not him. So as we passed the other hikers, and I smiled and said hello, he knew it meant more than just a passing hello. I could TALK! We arrived at the waterfall and I just cried.

I have come such a long way since June 2008. It is not only about the weight loss, it is about our health and the quality of our lives. When your healthy, everything else is gravy!

Take those steps now and know there is a reward greater than any scale could ever read!

Good health!!

(BTW that is a picture of me on 'my' trail!!)

Replies

• arewethereyet
    Last year I went with my husband to Virginia and DC. We had a wonderful time, riding horses, walking the streets of Washington. One day we were driving and I saw a sign for a waterfall. I love waterfalls and being a Florida girl, dont get to see them too often!

Well the walk down was beautiful, steep but breathtaking. We stayed for a while and then started our ascent. I couldn't go more that a 20-30 feet without stopping, and even had to sit and rest.

My heart was racing, pounding in my ears. I was MORTIFIED! My husband could care less...take your time he said the entire time. Still...how could I have let myself get so out of shape.

This year we went to the Smokey Mountains. I love those hills and valleys, and could not WAIT to go hiking. This time was entirely different. We tackled a 2 mile hike up a snow covered mountain....very steep, very beautiful.

My DH knew I had something to prove...to myself, not him. So as we passed the other hikers, and I smiled and said hello, he knew it meant more than just a passing hello. I could TALK! We arrived at the waterfall and I just cried.

I have come such a long way since June 2008. It is not only about the weight loss, it is about our health and the quality of our lives. When your healthy, everything else is gravy!

Take those steps now and know there is a reward greater than any scale could ever read!

Good health!!

(BTW that is a picture of me on 'my' trail!!)
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    My journey to a healthier life and a skinnier body began with a school field trip with my then 9 year old... 4 miles over 4-ish hours, with 2 breaks and a long lunch in the middle! I was so sore and beat by the end, it was mind boggling to me!!

A year later I could easily jog 5 miles in an hour without thought.... and SHE can't keep up! :wink:

I know EXACTLY how you feel :bigsmile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    You've done soooooo great! Congratuations, you look fantastic! :smile:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    That is awesome Jeannie:drinker: I'm so proud of you!! Your looking hot girl:drinker:

-Adrienne:heart:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Jeannie!! What a wonderful success story! WOW! You are amazing and have done a fantastic job.

I am SO proud of you girl!!:flowerforyou:

It makes you realize just how much you are doing for your health and future that has nothing to do with the way you look!!

:heart:
    -Tami
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    ........now I'm :cry: -ing. I gotta get in some cardio. Very moody today :frown:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    :happy: okay , I took some deep breaths. We are so proud of you, Jeannie. :flowerforyou: Congrats.
    cm
  • arewethereyet
    :happy: okay , I took some deep breaths. We are so proud of you, Jeannie. :flowerforyou: Congrats.
    cm

:laugh: :laugh: Your too funny today!!

Thanks!
  • arewethereyet
    I posted this story because there are many of you reading this that think you cannot do it. Due to and injury, excessive weight, age, old habits...or whatever. I have/had all of the above!!

One step...that was what started it. One step in the right direction.

I pray I will continue on this path until they have to wheel me up the mountain to see my last waterfall!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    You're such a delight here, and now you're a hot delight! :smooched:

You look beautiful! :heart:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Aww you made me cry that was so beautiful. I am so happy for you. :flowerforyou: And sounds like you are lucky because your DH is actually dear.:happy:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    :grumble: I still say you should have taken me.:wink:

YAY! I am so proud of you! You are improving yourself EVERY day! Good for you, my dear! :heart:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    that is such an inspiring story, you give me the motivation to keep going and doing what I am doing to get healthy. Congrats on you success, you look great!!!!!!!!!!!:bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Awww you guys are all so nice! Thanks so much!:cry:

:drinker: heres to our health!!
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    The increased health is such an reward...I love being able to do some things I couldn't before. Even running up the steps at my house.
  • arewethereyet
    The increased health is such an reward...I love being able to do some things I couldn't before. Even running up the steps at my house.

so true. I took the stairs to the 4th floor the other day without thinking. Got to the top and then realized i was still breathing!:laugh:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Jeannie, that is wonderful that you see and feel the difference. I'm glad that you take the time to post and encourage others to be heathier. You look great and I'm sure you feel even better!
  • arewethereyet
    Jeannie, that is wonderful that you see and feel the difference. I'm glad that you take the time to post and encourage others to be heathier. You look great and I'm sure you feel even better!

Thanks Kelly!:flowerforyou:
  • gottaluvboyz
    gottaluvboyz Posts: 555 Member
    WTG...that is awesome!!!! What a sense of accomplishment and pride:flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!