Finding it so difficult to curb my appetite at age 62.

Trying to lose weight is hard enough, but when your appetite won't quit, it's harder yet. I know I don't drink enough water, but I am also eat way too much when getting home from work because I am starving. Now the weight is all in the middle. I am about 134, but like to be around 122 to feel healthier. I gave up cookies, cakes and sugary sweets for about 4 years now, so that's not my problem. Basically eating too much food.

Replies

• danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    You've already done well cutting out those sugary treats. The next step is try finding a substitute for what you normally want to eat. Logging all your meals will readily help you see what's not helping & what you need more of. For me I have to start breakfast with oats & blueberries. That stops me from snacking through the day. I don't really have much then until an evening meal. You don't have to eat salad & fruit all day. There's a lot of low fat things out there is just finding the right ones. Some days I just snack on eating packets of chicken slices lol. Best of luck to you
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Could you snack at your job around 2:30 or so?
    A serving of almonds, a mozza cheese stick, apple, banana, a low sodium v8?
    Maybe drinking water on your drive home? Leave the windows down in this heat and you'll get hot enough to like water.

Also, are you eating fast food for dinner or fixing your own meals.
    Last night I was stuffed for 300 calories. Grilled chicken breast, a ton of mixed veggies.
    Is someone else cooking your food? Have a talk with them.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Are you getting enough sleep? When I am tired from lack of sleep, at the end of the work day I feel hungry even though I have eaten.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Plan on an easy snack late in the day at work or as soon as you get home so you can focus on a cooking a good meal.
  • ldrag07444
    ldrag07444 Posts: 19 Member
    Here I am again 10/2/19 with the same problem. Once I get started, I'm okay, but I put on about 4 lbs. Would like to lose 5. Some people may say big deal, but it is extremely hard to lose 5 lbs. Same problem, starving after work. Bought fiber bars and end up having 2. I have an apple at work which helps, but again when I get home, I look for food.
  • ldrag07444
    PS I have to admit, I eat more than what is put in my diary. Although not purposely.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    ldrag07444 wrote: »
    PS I have to admit, I eat more than what is put in my diary. Although not purposely.

for me eating after work became a habit... now I have a snack before I leave work and go home and make myself busy. I now do my workouts right when I get home. So instead of come home let the dogs out snack. It's come home let the dogs out, change into workout gear, workout, clean, shower, walk dogs, whatever whatever, eat dinner.

The busier I am the more distracted I am and I stop thinking about food until dinner time.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Here I am again 10/2/19 with the same problem. Once I get started, I'm okay, but I put on about 4 lbs. Would like to lose 5. Some people may say big deal, but it is extremely hard to lose 5 lbs. Same problem, starving after work. Bought fiber bars and end up having 2. I have an apple at work which helps, but again when I get home, I look for food.

Some low calorie things I find filling: a cup of soup (I like Amy's brand of organic soups, the low sodium ones), or lowfat Greek yogurt, maybe with a banana, or a few almonds, or blueberries. Those things end my hunger.

Just me personally, but I wouldn't buy fiber bars. Most of them are just another type of candy and aren't worth the calories. Actual vegetables or fruit with fiber seem more filling and have better nutrition.

Good luck!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I don’t think it’s easy at any age.
    It’s all about how badly you want to be a healthy weight. We have the power within ourselves to get to where we want to be.
  • ldrag07444
    I know the fiber bars aren't great for you. I do get the low carb ones, but still not great because of the sugar alcohols in them. Before that though I was eating a ton of cheese with pretzels. Worse! Maybe I'll try the low fat Greek yogurt. And I am healthy, but just not where I want to be on the scale. Plus an extra 4 lbs. goes right to my middle at this age.
    Thanks for your advice though! Appreciate it!
  • ldrag07444
    I have a couple of vegetable soup recipes loaded with veggies. Have to start them up again also.
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 51 Member
    I find late afternoon snacks and having a high volume, low calorie dinner planned or prepared helps with this. I also tended to grab high calorie snacks while I was waiting for dinner to cook after work. I now chew gum or suck a sugar free mint, I'm much less likely to snack as everything tastes bad.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    What do you feel you have learned about eating and satiety in the five years since your original post? Have you recently tracked your macro percentages? Consider trying foods that will give your greater satiety, ie more protein, less carbs. I’m not saying do a “low carb” diet, but you might be over MFPs recommended ratio, so a small adjustment might be in order.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Maybe have some protein and fat with your apple, like nuts or cheese? I don't find just fruit filling at all.

I work from home now, but when I worked in an office I made a batch of hard boiled eggs on Sundays for afternoon snacks during the work week. I kept nuts at work in my desk, and carrots and cheese in the frig.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    I know the fiber bars aren't great for you. I do get the low carb ones, but still not great because of the sugar alcohols in them. Before that though I was eating a ton of cheese with pretzels. Worse! Maybe I'll try the low fat Greek yogurt. And I am healthy, but just not where I want to be on the scale. Plus an extra 4 lbs. goes right to my middle at this age.
    Thanks for your advice though! Appreciate it!

I like the Fage brand plain lowfat yogurt and add some almonds or blueberries to it -- it's a more substantial yogurt than many other brands. The 2% fat has 20 grams of protein and 140 calories vs the 5% full fat which has less protein and 190 calories.

A cup of Amy's brand organic soup (some of them, anyway, like the minestrone) has only 100 calories -- or, like you wrote, you could make your own, which would be even better.

Again, snacks that are filling for me, but might not work for other people. Good luck!
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    edited October 2019
    Add a salad to a meal. It may sound bleak - but you can get lots of different flavors to liven it up. It adds bulk - so you feel like you're eating 'more' without adding a ton of calories. Stick to low cal dressings, and limit cheese. A little crumbled blue cheese or feta adds a lot of flavor for just a little calories.

And having an afternoon snack is also a good idea. If I have a low cal lunch, I'm hungry in 3-4 hours. Just had 100 calories of popcorn and will have a 70 cal Babybel cheese shortly. Then dinner tonight is tilapia, asparagus, and a small serving of mashed potatoes. Dinner will be about 325 cals - and if I decide I need more food then I will add about a 200 calorie salad.
    Trying to lose weight is hard enough, but when your appetite won't quit, it's harder yet. I know I don't drink enough water, but I am also eat way too much when getting home from work because I am starving. Now the weight is all in the middle. I am about 134, but like to be around 122 to feel healthier. I gave up cookies, cakes and sugary sweets for about 4 years now, so that's not my problem. Basically eating too much food.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Are you absolutely certain this is entirely a physical hunger/appetite problem, vs. a post-work fatigue, stress-recovery or habit problem?

Changes in timing of eating, or composition of eating (which macros or specific foods), or aggressiveness of loss rate (not trying to lose super-fast), will usually help with physical hunger. But if the problem isn't physical hunger, the best solution has nothing to do with food.

Best wishes!
  • ldrag07444
    I made the weight watchers veggie soup so I'm going to try that after work. I have about 5 lbs i would like to lose just finding it more difficult to start this time around. I usually try not to put on more than 5. Thank you for your suggestions. It really helps to talk about it.