How to make WALKING or RUNNING enjoyable?

So far I just know that
-- 30 minutes beforehand I need to eat something like a bowl of breakfast cereal or drink 8 oz of gatorade. Looking for that upbeat feeling.
-- Start my treadmill slow, 2.5 mph for 5 minutes. Looking for body heat and the loose limb feeling.

Please share your strategies, routines that make walking, running ultimately enjoyable.

Replies

• jjohnstonkay
    jjohnstonkay Posts: 6 Member
    I listen to books on tape when I walk and/or working around the house. You can down load them free on your iphone. It makes the time go fast and you can kill two birds with one stone.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I walk (and sometimes run) outside and look at things and enjoy the weather, even if it's a sleety drizzle.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    For me, enjoyable means not going too fast if I am not feeling it (and going fast if I am), and possibly someone to talk to (or music to listen to or people to watch or a problem to ponder), to make the time pass by.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    music or tv that's it.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    I put my headphones on and listen to fun music - usually something quick. Alternatively, I walk with someone who I can keep pace with. I have never walked on a treadmill. I either walk outside (if the weather is decent) or inside during the rain or bitter cold (like in a mall).

The closest I come to walking on a treadmill is walking in place (there's no room in my little apartment for a treadmill). When I do that, I either have music playing or the television or else, I'm talking with whomever is in the room with me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Get outside, get out often!! Do you have hiking trails near you or have tried this website? http://www.meetup.com/topics/hiking/
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Netflix on my tablet if I'm on a machine...podcasts if I'm not. It's all about distraction for me!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    I walk outside at a park with my dogs. And I listen to really upbeat music while I'm walking. I don't think I could do a treadmill. Too boring.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Run up mtns instead of TM. Or hike if ya want.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I'm on the "go outside" team. Step away from the dreadmill.

My husband and I walk our dog every night, and we have been going on hikes on Saturdays (soon to be Sundays too) at a state forest near us. You walk for over an hour, but it feels like 15 minutes.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Go outside. Walking/Running on a treadmill is boring as it can get. Take the dogs for a walk, take the kids for a walk. Walk to the local grocery store for small trips....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Go outside. Walking/Running on a treadmill is boring as it can get. Take the dogs for a walk, take the kids for a walk. Walk to the local grocery store for small trips....

Whoa! That's a different toy from the one you had yesterday! That one HAS to go outside!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    One word: Geocaching!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I find the treadmill deadly boring and I'll find something else at all costs. My gym has a track. I'll walk or run on that. Or better yet, walk and run outdoors. Yesterday the strawberry moon was spectacular.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    To enjoy walking and running get off the treadmill, what are you, a hamster?

Go around the block, go to a local park, head for the woods, find some companions.

6359644500328600321787960773_Hamster-wheel.jpg
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    You don't need to eat anything before, especially for such a short distance. You can, if you want to, but it's not necessary. I never eat breakfast, with or without a workout in the morning.

If you want to go outside, make yourself a playlist of music that you really, really love - upbeat, dancy, peppy music. I have a specific running playlist - I choose songs that encourage the tempo I need. It also works for keeping me at a brisk pace if I'm walking. Alternately, you can find an audiobook that you'd like to listen to. Idk what kind of phone you have, but I swear by Zombies Run.

If, like me, you're in a REALLLLLLY hot, humid climate right now, perhaps a treadmill is the way to go. It's super boring, yes... if you have nothing else to capture your attention. I like watching anime or TV on my phone while walking and running. Music is also great! If staring at a timer and numbers is intimidating, cover it with a towel and just focus on your tunes or the TV show :)
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    I have tried to like running for years and years. I hate it! So I found that other exercises were enjoyable instead.