Taking a break from weightloss - yay/nay?

Hi, guys!
I am considering some sort of break from my original calorie deficit (-1000) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts, opinions or experiences with taking breaks?
The question is wide open, but I'm mostly curious about eating at maintenance or at a very small deficit compared the original plan for any period of time and then resuming original calorie deficit.
Is there anything to gain from it? Is there no point whatsoever?
All opinions are welcome and anything scientific (with a proper source) is very welcome.

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Wow, -1000 calories is a huge deficit.

I take breaks fairly regularly for holidays. It helps keep me sane.

The main thing to gain is having a mental break. Even then, you could do fine changing your deficit to only -500.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I never even did 1000. I'd definitely switch to 500.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Take the break! Go maintenance for awhile, but don't let it get you down when you do not lose weight.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm all for breaks, so I vote 'yay' if you're feeling ready for one.
    In fact, I'm taking a break right now. I don't really have anything scientific to offer with it; its just that I've been cutting calories since January and I'm not currently feeling like doing it at the moment. Of course, even at maintenance you still have to be mindful, but I tend to believe (just my opinion) the body needs the break, both physically and mentally, after awhile too.
    Another idea I've seen offered up in the past is to figure out what your maintenance calories are at your goal weight, and try eating that for a few weeks to see if it's something you could see being sustainable for you.
    It's up to you, ultimately, but if the break helps you come back refocused and ready, go for it!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I think moving to a -500 deficit would feel like a he'll of a break without risking sliding off the slope entirely :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Yay! Diet breaks are refreshing and then comeback with a new outlook!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Take a break if you need to but continue to log your calories at your goal maintenance or current maintenance so you don't derail your good habits. Just upping your calories any amount may feel great.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    I've done this lots of times and I think it works well to jump start weight loss again. Do it :)
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    This thread has been really helpful! I've been feeling like a failure for wanting to take a break for no other reason than I'm just tired of it right now. My plan was to take a break, still log, and then come back in a week or so refreshed and ready to recommit. This thread helped me feel like that's ok! Thanks OP for asking the question.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    xynyth wrote: »
    This thread has been really helpful! I've been feeling like a failure for wanting to take a break for no other reason than I'm just tired of it right now. My plan was to take a break, still log, and then come back in a week or so refreshed and ready to recommit. This thread helped me feel like that's ok! Thanks OP for asking the question.

Of course it's okay. Plus practicing maintenance is a huge deal. It's not giving up at all. You're going to have to do it someday!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I took a 1-month break when I reached my first goal and a 6-week break when I reached my second.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I think it's a great idea. It's good and healthy to have a break now and then. It definitely helps with diet fatigue.
    As long as you keep logging to avoid weight creep, i say go for it! :smiley:
  • scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    going to take a break sort of for a month starting next week. Starting a month of hypertrophy training to put on a couple pounds of lean mass and then the next 3 months will be a deficit again.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    But a helpful hint regarding getting back into it again ...

I went from a net 1250 cal diet onto the 1-month break where I ate whatever I wanted. That was easy. :)

And then at the end of the month I tried to return to a net 1250 cal diet. Talk about HUNGRY!! That was really difficult. So I upped my calories to net 1450 cal/day for a week to help me readjust and then dropped them to 1350 cal where I remained for the next 16 weeks, until my next diet break. Much better.

After my 6 week diet break, I limited my calories to a net 1500 cal/day for a week or so and then dropped it back to net 1350 cal.

Personally, I find it easier to ease back into the diet after some time off. Start counting calories again, but keep the limit closer to maintenance for a week to get back into the swing of things again, and then drop it to your usual losing amount.
  • adinterim
    adinterim Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks to everyone for the replies!

I probably should have added that I'm mostly satisfied with my current calories (1400) and that I'm about 30lbs into my 80-100lbs goal, so I still have a long way to go.
    Early June I ate at a 500 calorie deficit for a week due to sleep issues putting me in a bad place mentally and being awake for much longer each day, but other than that I've been at a ~1000 calorie deficit since early March, which is why I feel like it might be time for a break.
    I don't do cheat meals/days. I just eat food and log it. Obviously focus on food what's healthy and good for me, but I will fight anyone on the fact that the occational ice cream/chocolate bar is conditioner for the mind and soul.

I'll do some planning and see what I come up with.

Bonus question: Anyone have any experience with fitbit calories (mainly from the trackers with HR)?
    I've had a Blaze for a month now (Flex previously), but haven't been too focused on the calories it gives me in relation to food.
    Online calculators only get you so far and fitbit agrees with those until exercise happens.
    It would take a load of my mind if it's even mildly accurate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I take a break once per month when my appetite spikes up premenstrually. At that time, I eat at maintenance for a few days. Perhaps because of this, and perhaps because my deficit has never been aggressive I have never personally felt the need for a break.

However, a break could be good for your mental health. When you come back, with 50-70 pounds to go, do consider switching to a 750 calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Taking a diet break will reset your hormones
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    regarding the FitBit..........i've had 3 different ones that each quit working before the 6th month i had them. I never paid attention to any of the calculations except steps and sleep. SO, i am probably NOT the best person to give an opinion on FitBit. LMAO