New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• mariska_faith
    mariska_faith Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all! I am new to EM2WL and discovered it about 6 weeks ago. I have increased my calories from 1500 to 2000 and my weight has remained stable. Am I doing something wrong? I have not been lifting religiously and can't imagine giving up cardio purely because I love a good sweat.

anyone have some advice for me?!
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Hello group! I'm Tiffany - happily married mom of four boys (13, 10, 7, and 7 months). My 6 week postpartum weight was 210 lbs (down from 240+ at time of delivery). I'm currently sitting at 181lbs and my UGW is 135. My calorie goal in MFP is set to 2lb/week loss (1200 calories), but I have a fitbit that adds to that and I am usually over my goal anyway. I keep it set this way to make sure I don't go to 3000+ calories - as I've EASILY done in the past. This way when I see 1800 - 2200 I think - that's okay still at approx maintenance. My TDEE is approx. 2125 (calculated by 6 months worth of record keeping and tracking weight vs calories).

I'm so ready to FINALLY meet my goals!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Welcome Warren, Emily, Mariska and Tiffany!

@esimonton1109 , I hear you on not having patience and becoming frustrated, but the old ways didn't work before and will not work not. Maybe they gave you temporary results, but that was it. EM2WL is a way of life, not a quick fix. Be patient and consistent. Meanwhile we are here to give you support. Make sure you are not restricting yourself in the weekdays, otherwise your body will crave more in the weekends. Here is an excellent article by Anitra Soto on restricting and bingeing: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-to-stop-the-binge-cycles-forever/

@mariska_faith , great job on increasing your calories! You don't have to give up the cardio you love, but the results that lifting will give you are way different. Cardio for fun, weights to transform. Since your weight has stayed stable, you didn't reach your TDEE yet. This article talks about how much cardio you actually need: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-much-cardio-for-fat-loss/

@tiffanylacourse , congratulations on the baby! You are doing a good job on calculating your TDEE and tracking it! You are on the right track. Make sure you eat to keep up with the boys!

Feel free to send friend requests.
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Hello EM2WL! I'm back again but this time i want to start fr the begining! I wanted to lose a few kgs in april and started eating 1800 cals for the first time in my life!! I'm a yoyo dieter, married with 3 kids, 5'7 and currently weight 73kgs. Now when i've reduced those kgs by getting back to 1300/1400 cals and working out 6 days / week...... I feel comfortable with my weight. But i'm soo curious to maintain it now. Can EM2WL help me maintain my weight? I'm planing to increase my cals 100 per week and keep the macros to c45p30f25. I strength train thrice a week using 10 lbs at each hand and rest go for hiit/ cardio but that was for losing ,plz guide me for my workouts to maintain my weight. Will it be ok if i only strength train? Or i also need to add some cardio?
  • TerezaToledo
    Hello @ibtmas!

Are YOU eating at 1800 now? How do you feel with those cals? Are you at your goal weight? Are you maintaining now? Your TDEE is higher than that once you put your info in the calculator, you are definitely above the intermediate activity level (working out and chasing 3 kids). Since you yo-yo dieted, a reset would be a great idea to fire up your metabolism and remind your body once again that maintenance is not below 2k. Yes, those number may look scary, but don't be afraid. If you haven't done so, check out our metabolism reset guide to know what to expect: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

The idea of increasing slowly is the best. 100 cals extra per day will avoid bloating and other side effects. Your macros are great! Strength training is the best thing you can do to build back your muscle mass. The more muscle, the more calories burned daily. I'm sure by now you know that ST will not make you bulky at all. Cardio is up to up to you. Remember, cardio is for fun and weights to transform. EM2WL has a nice free starter ST workout: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-free-workout/. More free workouts here http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help!
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL

• ingehooper15
    ingehooper15 Posts: 16 Member
    hi all,Im 2 weeks post partum with my 3rd baby and getting back to a weightloss journey. Im on day 3 today and eating to a 12pm-8pm schedule and eating up to 1900cals for my activity levels. Id love more friends on mfp who eat higher amounts as alot of people do stick to 1200cals and eat teeny amounts and Id love more people on my friends list who eat more :)
    Im hoping to introduce some light workouts alongside my walking in 2-4 weeks time once I feel better and baby is more settled. Hope everyone is well x
  • humble64
    humble64 Posts: 69 Member
    Hello!!! My name is Ekiba and I'm working on losing around 40lbs. I lost around 80 lbs on my own about 4 years ago and now I gained back half of it. I decrease my calories significantly when I initially lost the weight and now I'm trying to do it the right way. I definitely need as much support as I can get. PLEASE HELP!
  • TerezaToledo
    @ingehooper15 , congratulations on your new baby! Give yourself some time and you will reach your goals. Are you nursing? If so, don't forget that you will need extra calories for that. How did your TDEE come out? Your body is healing and specially in the first weeks you don't want to go into a big deficit. 1200 would be insane! For now stick to walks, your body needs care after the huge feat it just did, right? Feel free to send me a friend request.

@humble64 , good job on the weight loss! Have you calculated your TDEE to compare to how much you have been eating lately? The first step is to check it out so you know where you are at: http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Here you can get the free starting guide: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • humble64
    @TerezaToledo according to the weight loss calculator, my calorie consumption with a 15% deficit is 2230 cal a day with moderate workout. I have been eating on average of 1700 cal a day with binge eating intermittently. Do you recommend the metabolism reset?
  • humble64
    @rastaempress How can I email you?
  • TerezaToledo
    Ekiba, I believe it would be a good idea for you to slowly increase the calories into a reset. Most likely the binges are happening because you have been restricting in certain days and the body is trying to compensate in other days. If the calculator puts you on 2230 on a 15% deficit, 1700 is way to little. Increasing your protein intake will also help you feel more satisfied while preserving or helping to build muscle.

This is an excellent article on how to stop binge cycles: http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-to-stop-the-binge-cycles-forever/

Go through our metabolism reset guide and we can definitely walk you through it and answer all the questions you have: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/
    Also the EM2WL metabolism reset dedicated sub-forum has some great threads on the subject as well as personal reset diaries http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25

You can reach any of us directly using the personal message feature. Click on the user id you are trying to reach and it gives you the PM option.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • ibtmas
    Hello @ibtmas!

Are YOU eating at 1800 now? How do you feel with those cals? Are you at your goal weight? Are you maintaining now? Your TDEE is higher than that once you put your info in the calculator, you are definitely above the intermediate activity level (working out and chasing 3 kids). Since you yo-yo dieted, a reset would be a great idea to fire up your metabolism and remind your body once again that maintenance is not below 2k. Yes, those number may look scary, but don't be afraid. If you haven't done so, check out our metabolism reset guide to know what to expect: http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

The idea of increasing slowly is the best. 100 cals extra per day will avoid bloating and other side effects. Your macros are great! Strength training is the best thing you can do to build back your muscle mass. The more muscle, the more calories burned daily. I'm sure by now you know that ST will not make you bulky at all. Cardio is up to up to you. Remember, cardio is for fun and weights to transform. EM2WL has a nice free starter ST workout: http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-free-workout/. More free workouts here http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

Yes i have reached my goal weight i.e 73kgs wish to lose more but i'm ok with it.... Now need to maintain it. Currently i'm taking 1300/1400 cals . But am not much strict with the macros. Can i increase the carbs and fats while maintaining?or i need to use the same macros while maintaing too?
  • TerezaToledo
    @ibtmas For you stats, 1300/1400 is too low and definitely not sustainable. You won't maintain or build lean mass with that amount of calories (pre schoolers need more than that). Restricting your calories that much will lead you to binges and eventually the weight will come back. We like using the 40-30-30 macro split (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fats). If your activity level was moderate (I believe it is higher than that), on a 10% cut for weight loss, you should be eating at 2000 plus. That will give you enough calories to eat your carbs and fats without decreasing proteins. That would keep you full and energized to do your workouts and go on with your daily activities without being hungry or feeling weak.
    I'm working on a slight cut/body recomp eating 2600 calories. I'm 5'4" and at my goal size.

Kiki Smith (co-founder of EM2WL) posted this short video yesterday on setting our calorie goals too low: https://www.facebook.com/EM2WL/videos/1148554491863623/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    humble64 wrote: »
    @rastaempress How can I email you?

I've sent your a FR so you can message me on here :)
  • empressichel
    Welcome to you @ibtmas , @ingehooper15 @tiffanylacourse and @mariska_faith

Tereza has already answered your questions and, as usual, she is spot on with it all. She is so good at this stuff!
    I will send each of you FR so if you need anything else, just let me know.
    So good to have you all here!
    Empress Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    Sorry Emily! @esimonton1109
    I missed your post the first time I read through.
    I'm sending you a FR too, here to give you all the support you need.
    Ichel
  • ibtmas
    Welcome to you @ibtmas , @ingehooper15 @tiffanylacourse and @mariska_faith

Tereza has already answered your questions and, as usual, she is spot on with it all. She is so good at this stuff!
    I will send each of you FR so if you need anything else, just let me know.
    So good to have you all here!
    Empress Ichel

Thanx for the FR. But i would like to know here that how can i fulfill my protien intake when increasing my cals? I managed to eat 1800 in April 2016 but it was not possible for me to eat a whole chicken daily followed with egg whites and yougurt
  • TerezaToledo
    @ibtmas Increasing the protein intake may be challenging when increasing calories, you are not alone. The best way is to increase slowly, just loke increasing the calories so your body gets used to it. Make a point of having a little more protein at every meal or snack. Add one extra ounce of the protein you are having at lunch/dinner; nuts, hummus, peas, beans are you friends; greek yogurt and cheese; if you have a protein shake, use milk or kefir yogurt instead of water. Try to explore different kinds of meats, just chcken gets old really fast. Since you are eating more calories, you don't need to eat only chicken breast.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    @ibtmas Protein increase can be challenging when you first begin. Most women dont realize how little protein they are actually taking in in a day so the thought of eating a bunch more can be daunting.

A natural increase in protein will also increase your cals. It doesnt all have to be a full chicken:) Some of the simplest ways to get more protein in is simply a supplement.. protein shakes or powders can be a huge booster to get your levels up without having to stuff your face with chicken.
    As @TerezaToledo gave you some great examples of increasing your protein, as it isnt just meats.

Try out our 7 day protein challenge to help you to increase your protein levels and to get you going on the right foot.
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/eat-enough-protein/

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    humble64 wrote: »
    @TerezaToledo according to the weight loss calculator, my calorie consumption with a 15% deficit is 2230 cal a day with moderate workout. I have been eating on average of 1700 cal a day with binge eating intermittently. Do you recommend the metabolism reset?

If your Cut level is 2230 and you have only been eating about 1700, then yes, I would highly recommend a Reset. Your TDEE would be somewhere around 2600? So you are eating almost 1000 cals less than your body needs to maintain. Your body needs to know you arent going to starve it, so by resetting, you are letting your body know you are going to feed it correctly. Take the time and reset. Get your calories up to your TDEE level and hang out there for a while. I promise you, your body will thank you for it.
    Once you have hit your TDEE and maintained, then you can make your cut to 2200 and you wont be starving yourself anymore.

The binging cycle is a good sign you are undereating. Once you allow TDEE to happen and you eat right, your body will more than likely stop the cycle with binging.. That in itself will be a huge success:)

Kelly