Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Birth control and weight loss.

That1Chick_Brit
That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
edited June 2016 in Debate Club
Hello my fine fitness friends! Question: has anyone here experienced weight LOSS after starting the pill? You always hear about weight gain, but there's not much out there on loss. I've been doing this fitness thing for awhile now, and there were times I would get so down because I felt like I was doing everything right, and nothing was changing. I started to exercise even more vigorously and I lost weight but it was at a turtle pace. Then, I recently started taking birth control and now the weight seems to be flying off. I still do the same things I was pre pill, but now it seems like the pounds are going in the way that they should be. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's possible that a hormonal imbalance was causing me to hold onto those pounds, and now the pill is balancing it all out. Anyone have experience with this or a similar situation?

Replies

• chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    were you counting calories or just exercising?

If you were only exercising you were probably still overeating, can't out run a bad diet: meaning if you take in more calories than you burn you will gain, if it's equal you will maintain and if it's less you will lose weight.

BC pills can affect your appetite but they do not make you gain or lose weight.
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2016
    chel325 wrote: »
    were you counting calories or just exercising?

If you were only exercising you were probably still overeating, can't out run a bad diet: meaning if you take in more calories than you burn you will gain, if it's equal you will maintain and if it's less you will lose weight.

I count cals and excersise. Weigh and measure my food. Trust me, I don't have a bad diet
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Some women do awesome with birth control pills. It actually can regulate your hormones therefore if causing weight loss. I have a few friends that experienced what you are.Most the time its the opposite though cause its known to increase your appetite
  • delazouche
    delazouche Posts: 55 Member
    I lost a size pretty quickly after getting the Mirena IUD, but it didn't last long. Looking back I suspect it had something to do with the drop in hormones when I initially got it, and now that I've had the thing 2 years, the hormones have built back up. I'm getting it taken out soon because it's caused so many other issues (not related to weight) and it'll be interesting to see if I drop that size again.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I've been taking a birth control pills for some time and have been losing a pound a week, no issues aside from TOM water weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's possible that a hormonal imbalance was causing me to hold onto those pounds, and now the pill is balancing it all out. Anyone have experience with this or a similar situation?

Yes, and this right here is likely the answer if your lifestyle hasn't changed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    chel325 wrote: »

This isn't correct. BC pills can make you gain or lose water weight, and metabolic rate is controlled by hormones and BC pills control your hormones.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    I've never taken birth control pills and still gained and lost weight, so whether you're taking the pill or not you're still going to lose weight eating less calories than you burn, so maybe you were eating more than you thought.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    I've gained and lost weight on my continuous bc (I've been on it for 14 years) because, according to my DOCTOR, over time, medications do not affect weight. CICO wins again.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I've gained and lost weight on my continuous bc (I've been on it for 14 years) because, according to my DOCTOR, over time, medications do not affect weight. CICO wins again.

I don't think anyone was arguing against CICO for fat gain/loss.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

Medication can alter the CO side of the equation, which requires you changing the CI side of it to maintain. CICO still applies, but the balance may be different.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Medication can alter the CO side of the equation, which requires you changing the CI side of it to maintain. CICO still applies, but the balance may be different.

Exactly this for fat gain/loss.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    I had a friend who had to get off the pill for good because she lost tons of weight and it was unhealthy. Things affect us differently. Sounds like the pill is helping you lose weight!
  • lpaigewilsonmfp
    lpaigewilsonmfp Posts: 7 Member
    For me, its not the birth control that caused weight gain/loss.. I was first on yaz, and for the most part it was great but had to switch because of other reasons. Unfortunately now, I think I'm on marlena? and just before its that TOM i get like INSANE cravings..so I really have to be diligent to know that they will pass.
  • AQuiltingJewel
    AQuiltingJewel Posts: 1 Member
    You could have a hormonal inbalanace like PCOS. I have it and when I'm not on hormonal birth control, my weight is near impossible to control. Even on it, it's a daily struggle, but the hormones help. If this continues, talk to your doctor and get tested.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Hormone pills made me have a slightly higher appetite , but I gained and lost whilst on them.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    I lost significantly. Nearly 20lbs after starting with no effort.

Gained weight initially due to antidepressants. I have been diagnosed with PCOS since my teens when I was average/athletic weight. My doctor can see the cysts (and apparently an extremely high amount on one side and on the other side one is the size of a water balloon) on ultrasounds but my hormones are always in balance during blood tests (so I only have menstration/cramping symptoms and none of the other PCOS symptoms oddly). I also have endometriosis as well. I went on the pill after bleeding 3 months straight and needing a 12 pack of super plus tampons PER DAY. Very expensive! I passed out twice from blood loss and went to the ER. At that point I was done and went on the pill. I am not suppose to take the placebo pills - instead starting a new pack. It was about a year without a period and then the past few months I'll have light spotting when my girlfriend has a heavy period. My doctor and I were expecting weight gain but my loss was unexpected and phenomenal. I'm still taking the pill and am very happy even if I'm spotting (which is like two lite tampons instead of a fleet of super pluses).

I take microgestin fe 1/20.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    I definitely lose weight when taking the pill. When I stop taking it, I gain like 10 pounds in a week. Obviously it's hormonal and fluid retention, but it takes a good month for my body to level out. It is traumatizing!
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    For me its not the birth control (Mirena) that caused weight gain/loss, less eating and DD plan helps me :)