How long do I bulk for?

I'm currently 19 yrs old, 5'8", 139 lbs with a body fat % of about 13-14%. I've lost over 100 lbs because I wanted to change. I now find myself way too small and I started lifting and bulking. My question is what bodyweight should I start to cut on?

Replies

• scottburger104
    scottburger104 Posts: 90 Member
    I'd say cycle your goals. Hypertrophy for 4 to 6 weeks and then either strength at maintenance calories or fat loss at a slight deficit for the same time frame.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Good question...I wanna know the answer haha. I have the same stats (21, 138, 5'8) and bulking at 2750 cals...what're you bulking at?
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    dpr73 wrote: »
    Good question...I wanna know the answer haha. I have the same stats (21, 138, 5'8) and bulking at 2750 cals...what're you bulking at?

Currently at 2550 calories. I'm trying to clean bulk
  • gymrat04mf
    gymrat04mf Posts: 51 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Bulk until you hate yourself.

Maybe this works for some people, but this would never work for me. I'd never want to do anything to the point where I hate myself or don't like the way I look; I don't want to be miserable, I want to be happy with myself year-round! I'm bulking until I've reached my goal weight and/or my body fat gets to a point where it makes me want to adjust my main goal to losing some of it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    gymrat04mf wrote: »

Maybe this works for some people, but this would never work for me. I'd never want to do anything to the point where I hate myself or don't like the way I look; I don't want to be miserable, I want to be happy with myself year-round! I'm bulking until I've reached my goal weight and/or my body fat gets to a point where it makes me want to adjust my main goal to losing some of it.

So you bulked until you weren't so happy with how you looked and now will cut?

Also, i was being a bit facetious. But most people bulk until they don't like their look and want to get lean again.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    You bulk until people start asking where you get your steroids from. Only then you can start cutting.

haha.. love it.

OP at your age your testosterone levels should be sufficient to (with appropriate food input and exercise stimulus) add muscle well- maybe even easily (compared to us older guys). Do not squander this time with worry of excess fat - use it wisely and get that muscle packed on!

Time frame - Anything under 3 months is IMHO too short. As to when to stop, either:
    • Pick a target weight (assuming 50% muscle 50% fat gain would seem prudent, although you may find that you add more muscle and less fat due to testosterone, will give you a weight to cut back to return to your current fat levels).
    • Work visually (hence the bulk until you hate yourself type comments)
    • Plan bulks around specific events - So you may decide to bulk until 8 weeks before a beach holiday and then cut for the 8 weeks before)

I do the third of these so, I'm currently shedding a bit of fat ready for an August holiday and will then revert back to bulking until Early November when I will cut again before my family holiday in January.

• gareths1980
    gareths1980 Posts: 32 Member
    I dirty bulked until I hated myself, now I think I've cut as far as I can go as I'm starting to hate myself.
    I think I'll start a slow bulk now
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    I am in a clean weight gain cycle. The more weight you put on the more you need to eat simply for maintenance. For example. I have plateaued at 80kg at around 3300 calories which is now my maintenance level (13500kj) and during this bulking phase have lifted my calories to 4000 calories or (16715kj). You just have to play with the energy numbers per day and when you are sure of your maintenance level cut it under maintenance and you will be on the road to a cut. You will know when it feels right to start the cutting cycle. Good luck.
  • jonoc87
    jonoc87 Posts: 23 Member
    If you are new to lifting, you will gain strength and size very quick without too much tinkering of your diet. Enjoy your food, ask mom for seconds, your 19, don't restrict(or overindulge) your food/lifestyle.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    gymrat04mf wrote: »

So you bulked until you weren't so happy with how you looked and now will cut?

Also, i was being a bit facetious. But most people bulk until they don't like their look and want to get lean again.

This is actually what I do and it works for me

Bulk times are not set in stone. Everyone will have a different answer to this type of question .

For me, I bulk until I can't stand it anymore .
  • janejr2016
    janejr2016 Posts: 9 Member
    Bulk for a year then cut
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I stop bulking when I see myself in the mirror and tell myself I am close to being muscle fat, that's when i know it's time to cut.

Similar to this; bulk until you hate yourself when you look in the mirror.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I would consider bulking until you get to about 20% BF, then cut back, repeat.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I would consider bulking until you get to about 20% BF, then cut back, repeat.

From experience, I would not get that high. I spent 5+ years bulking and ended up about 23% and have regretted it now that I am trying to diet down.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    I cut back when I was told that I was going to have to start having my cloths tailored if I did not cut back. I had to wear a suit to work. Sweatshirts did not cut it. SO much for the shrugs.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    From the /misc/: Bulk until you're tired of being fat; cut until you're tired of being weak.
  • rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    I used to say I was always on a bulk...to others points there is no real "set" amount of time. As ;lifts go up yu want to continue that progress until your unhappy with appearance...you than cut and in that event lose strength unfortunately...its a vicious cycle. I have been dealing with if for about a decade. I started way later than you so your results should be much better.