July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks - there's a lots of names I don't recognize from last month! July is hot for most of us, so be really careful out there, but remember - every step you take, every pace you fake, we'll be watching you! (and cheering!)

:smiley:

And, of course, welcome back to the old folks. @Elise4270, I'll donate to you everything over my 140 goal, how's that?
  • biscuitnow
    biscuitnow Posts: 141 Member
    Hey, can we continue the eclair debate in July? :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Welcome to all the new folks - there's a lots of names I don't recognize from last month! July is hot for most of us, so be really careful out there, but remember - every step you take, every pace you fake, we'll be watching you! (and cheering!)

:smiley:

And, of course, welcome back to the old folks. @Elise4270, I'll donate to you everything over my 140 goal, how's that?

Aw, that means @ceciliaslater wins the "July no miles challenge"! And I'm at 150 miles for the month and it hasn't even started!

Thanks!

Edit: score! My smartwool tank arrived! If only I could run..
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    I'm going with 60 miles. Still nervous to set it too high until summer is over.

I'm adding in that I need to lose 5lbs this month. Tooooo pudgy.
  • Elise4270
    I'm going with 60 miles. Still nervous to set it too high until summer is over.

I'm adding in that I need to lose 5lbs this month. Tooooo pudgy.

We'll have to reign in the pastry talk to help you (and others) out. :blush:
  • greenolivetree
    @lporter229 Awesome idea!
    @Elise4270 I don't mind the pastry talk. It's candy that is killing my waistline. Oh how I love candy....
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @elise @greenolivetree pizza is my downfall
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    I'm in for 40 miles. It's time for me to get serious about this whole running, cross training, and eating better thing, again, with my next half coming up in mid-September. I promise I'll actually log my miles in July! :smile:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @lporter229 great idea!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    zoe2434 wrote: »
    I'm in for July! Really looking forward to getting back into this group and back to running. May was a bad month for me; I lost my dad and then came down with pneumonia. June was all about me trying to shake the side effects of May, and I started back on my TM this week. Ready to get back to normal!!!

I'm setting my goal at 35 miles for June. I am also setting a goal to run (more of a run'ish walk combo) at least 3 times a week.

exercise.png

I am so sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mom this past October at a rather young age (she was 58), and it took me a while to recover physically and emotionally. In all honesty, I still don't have interest in many of the things I did before she got sick last July, and I'm not entirely sure if I ever will. Good luck, and congrats on making it through such a rough past couple of months. Onward and upward!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Okay, here's the deal. Everyone in the challenge has to run a donation mile for @Elise4270 and @ceciliaslater which means that everyone has to exceed their goal by two miles. Deal?

Deal! Revised goal: 37 miles (35 + 2 donation miles :smile: )

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    @zoe2434 & @instantmartian So sorry to hear about your losses.
  • Elise4270
    edited June 2016
    Y'all are some generous mo fo's! Haha! I'm trapped inside with limited mobility. I'm goofy or mean. I love you guys too much to be mean.

@mbaker566 Pizza is why we run! :wink: @greenolivetree I'm lucky, I don't do much of any candy. Chips on the other hand....I could live off of.

I'm already down about 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks. Awesome. But I'm sure it's temporary. I'm a bit unnerved by the lack of activity and concerned about waist, arm pit/bra fat, and flank fat.

I was cleared to do upper body/core/isometric. I'm not super happy about that. If you've seen my pics you'll notice I kind of have swimmers shoulders (least, I think so). I'm reluctant to do upper body. Any of you ladies do upper body? I'm think it'd probably decrease the bulky look..
  • Elise4270
    @zoe2434 @instantmartian Sorry to hear about your losses too. I hope running and the group help balance the loss recovery.

• greenolivetree
    @Elise4270 I do upper body but lately I've traded off some of my upper body stuff and even squats and lunges for more pilates based exercise to strengthen my hips (runner injury prevention). I build biceps easily but unfortunately gain fat there and cover it up. I really need to lose 13lbs and then see how my arms look and decide what I want to do. I can't build a butt to save my life.....
  • firewife73
    firewife73 Posts: 15 Member
    I've never done a running challenge but I would love to join and give it a shot!!

exercise.png
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    June was a low month, going to go for my biggest yet 100km in July.

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    I think I better play it safe and shoot for 100 miles in July. :wink: We'll see where I wind up.