July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    You guys are awesome! Or maybe @Elise4270 & I are awesome for motivating you all to add to your goals. LOL

Speaking of @Elise4270 - I do upper body weights all the time. I have incredibly wide shoulders, but I think they look better when more "toned." I mean, if they're going to be massive anyway, they might as well have some shape to them. Lateral raises are my friend. Lifting weights has not increased the bulk factor at all for me. I still have to buy shirts that only fit my shoulders and are too big everywhere else, but I don't have to buy any bigger than I ever have. And I don't have fat pads bulging out of anywhere anymore--bra straps, tight sleeve cuffs, etc--, which is nice.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Got through a bit over 200 in June, but I'll be spending most of July in Florida so I'll up my cycling (600) & swimming (10 hour) goals, and drop my running goal to a more manageable 180 miles.

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    You guys are awesome! Or maybe @Elise4270 & I are awesome for motivating you all to add to your goals. LOL

Speaking of @Elise4270 - I do upper body weights all the time. I have incredibly wide shoulders, but I think they look better when more "toned." I mean, if they're going to be massive anyway, they might as well have some shape to them. Lateral raises are my friend. Lifting weights has not increased the bulk factor at all for me. I still have to buy shirts that only fit my shoulders and are too big everywhere else, but I don't have to buy any bigger than I ever have. And I don't have fat pads bulging out of anywhere anymore--bra straps, tight sleeve cuffs, etc--, which is nice.

Sold. I'll renew my Y membership ASAP.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    exercise.png

July ticker ready to go.

Upcoming races:
    7/30 Run for the River 5k or 10k (not yet decided). Clayton, NY
    8/20 Team Sarcoma 5k, Albany NY
    10/9 Empire State Half Marathon, Syracuse NY
    ****OR*****
    10/30 Niagara Falls International Half Marathon
    12/3 St. Nick Shuffle 5k, Syracuse NY
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    I am in for 100. I want to do 120 but I have the SF HM at the end of the month and a very busy work month on the schedule so I am not going to push it.

@zoe2434 and @instantmartian - Take care and hang in there. While it seems right now that nothing will ever be the same it takes time for the pain from the loss to dull a bit. I lost both my mom and dad way too early and while it has been many years it still hurts sometimes, but life goes on and it does get easier and back to normal.

@Elise4270 - I do upper body workouts regularly. I also have broad shoulders and I don't think it has changed my shoulders or arms other than to make them look toned and damn good. Plus I love being strong! Like @ceciliaslater I no longer have those fat pads or bulges either.
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    I'm hoping for a slightly less hectic month and get a bit more consistent with my running so I'm going for 70+2 miles, got 3 miles planned for later today starting as I mean to go on :).
  • OceanicMelody73
    OceanicMelody73 Posts: 22 Member
    I added the 2 donation miles in and this brings me to 32 miles. That used to be at most a third of what I'd run in a month, but pregnant and back to being a beginner, this will actually be pretty hard. I've got it figured that if I run 3 miles on Mondays and Fridays, and 2 miles on Wednesdays, I should end up at 35 miles, so that gives me some wiggle room for days when it doesn't work out as planned. Hopefully I can increase this more next month. Thank you for motivating me :)
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    100 miles for my goal this month.
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Thank you to everyone for the kind words!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    3 miles at easy effort today to kick off the month.

7/1 - 3 miles

3 of 100 miles completed

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 3.1 miles - 3.1

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

Welcome to July. Easy 5K to start the month off. We are going away for the weekend up to the Smokey Mountains. Hope to get a long run in tomorrow morning. Not sure how many miles tho since there will be some killer elevation.