July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    7/1 - 2 miles

2 of 110 miles

exercise.png

@lporter229 sounds good mileage donation :sunglasses:

Wow ugly attempt at run this morning. Awful start, tired heavy legs, sick to stomach, stopped once and heart rate was booming. Decided to cut my losses and run home. I might try to get out tonight when it cools off a bit. I think part of it is I have cut my calories to loss a few lbs and I need to my body to catch up.

Welcome to all the new people and welcome back to some who have been away and returned!
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    July 1

5km Done

exercise.png
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @Elise4270 & @ceciliaslater Feeling your pain and frustration with not being able to destroy shoes by burning up a trail. I will be getting back into the grove this month so I will loan / give you 10km from my limited goal.

Hoping for a 100km recovery month. 1 week of travel for work, 2 weeks vacation so limited running time.
    exercise.png
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    I am going to continue with another goal of 50 miles. Trying to build my base.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    I have a question. I don't want to steer my son wrong. Alex is 21, very small frame ~140lbs, 5'9"ish, no athletic background, but ideal runner! He is in week 2 of his training program, (Its a 5k in 30 days). He is up to 2 miles solid already, 10-12MPW, pace is 8-9min/mile in the heat :astonished: . Sheesh, took me month's-years to do 2 miles straight and break that 10 MPW barrier, and get sub 9.

I think he should be able to do the Jenks half with us in early November. Does anyone think that could be a stretch?
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    I was a mile short of my goal last month, but still going to up my target to 75 miles this month, we have an extra day to do it in anyway ;)
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm aiming for 60miles again this month but again probably wont make it as it's another busy month. Got a trip to France to watch a little of the Tour de France in the middle of the month to look forward to. I'm going to take my Garmin with me to record walking up to the summit of Mont Ventoux which I can hardly wait for! Good luck everyone!!

exercise.png

That sounds like an absolutely awesome trip. Have a blast, and I can't wait to hear about it!
  • instantmartian
    7/1 - 2 miles

2 of 110 miles

exercise.png

Wow ugly attempt at run this morning. Awful start, tired heavy legs, sick to stomach, stopped once and heart rate was booming. Decided to cut my losses and run home. I might try to get out tonight when it cools off a bit. I think part of it is I have cut my calories to loss a few lbs and I need to my body to catch up.

Welcome to all the new people and welcome back to some who have been away and returned!

This sounds exactly like you described my two-mile run, yesterday. I've been making a lot of adjustments, myself, and I really haven't been doing much running in the summer heat, yet, so I chalked it up to all of that. Good luck. I'm sure you'll kill your next run!
  • instantmartian
    edited July 2016
    Darn it. I should have read everything for replying. Sorry for the multiple posts in a row, guys!
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a question. I don't want to steer my son wrong. Alex is 21, very small frame ~140lbs, 5'9"ish, no athletic background, but ideal runner! He is in week 2 of his training program, (Its a 5k in 30 days). He is up to 2 miles solid already, 10-12MPW, pace is 8-9min/mile in the heat :astonished: . Sheesh, took me month's-years to do 2 miles straight and break that 10 MPW barrier, and get sub 9.

I think he should be able to do the Jenks half with us in early November. Does anyone think that could be a stretch?

I am certainly no expert, but I don't think it's a stretch at all, especially with his seemingly natural ability to run. He'll have at least 18 weeks to train. I think most half training plans, even those for new runners are typically 12-16 weeks.

In fact, the training plan I decided to follow this time around (because I want to start back at the very beginning with my running/diet/cross-training) has its first run scheduled as a 2-mile run, next run is 2.5 and the "long run" for the first week is 3 miles. I slightly modified it, and I never read the nutrition part of it, but this is the plan I am currently using: Half Marathon Training and Nutrition Plan
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @Elise4270 - I definitely think he could do it, as long as he trains consistently and increases mileage gradually. I looked up Hal Higdon's beginner half training plan and it's 12 weeks long and starts out with 12MPW (with a 4 mile long run). He's got 4 months to train up, so I think he should be able to manage it.

Just make sure he focuses on building that mileage base.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    7/1 - 2 miles

2 of 110 miles

exercise.png

This sounds exactly like you described my two-mile run, yesterday. I've been making a lot of adjustments, myself, and I really haven't been doing much running in the summer heat, yet, so I chalked it up to all of that. Good luck. I'm sure you'll kill your next run!

Sounds like me on Wednesday too!

@Elise4270 I think he can do it. Some people are running naturals and guys are just faster :-p
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @greenolivetree - Ha, it's extreme to me! I run on a completely flat trail and I know I need to start adding hills at some point, although I've very much been avoiding it.

@skippygirlsmom - Whenever I change my calorie goal, it takes a bit for my runs to adjust. I'm back in a deficit now after a couple months of maintenance and I can definitely tell.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Back in it for the 200 club for July! Count me in for anything north of 200, probably 220-230 if I follow my schedule to a T.

Upcoming Races:
    7/9: Belmar 5 miler (Belmar, NJ)
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

@kristinegift I just noticed. Are you doing full marathons in both September & November? :open_mouth:
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Getting ready for my first half marathon. So this month goal is 60 miles.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member

I started this running journey in October 2013 at the age of 41. Then I was only running 3 miles on the treadmill. Everything was a tempo workout mind you. Granted I had no idea what a tempo workout was back then, all I knew was this sucks. I start off the first mile OK, but the next 2 miles just keep getting harder and harder until I am totally out of breath and hating it. I don't remember how fast I was going, but it was somewhere between a 9-10 min/mi. And there were times where I just had to slow the treadmill down because my heart was just going way too fast. And I did this 3-4 times a week. The other days I was either on the bike or elliptical. That was my first few weeks. I then started to up it and even started running on the greenway Saturday mornings by the end of November.

My first race ever (a 10K) I did that March (5 months of training). Then I ran my first HM the very next month (6.5 months of training total).

I think if your son slowed down to a 10 min/mi and pushed to 3 miles, he can do that. Then start adding a long run where he slowly build up his mileage, then yeah, he should be ready for a HM by November. He's young enough to recover from his workouts. A lot better than I can at 41 (now 44).

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

I think he should definitely be able to do it. It will serve him best if you can get him to slow down a little bit though. If he is running 2 miles @8-9 min/mile, he can probably already put together four miles at a slower pace.