July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @RespectTheKitty - Those are the best!
  • Ammey68
    Ammey68 Posts: 65 Member
    5512bf wrote: »
    My training plan has 289 miles listed, so I guess that's the goal. If I hit all my workouts I'll probably be over that a tad. Today had an easy 11 miles listed but I did a few bonus minutes and ended at 11.5.

zylwaz2huizj.png

What app/program are you using? That screenshot looks cool.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Ammey68 wrote: »
    5512bf wrote: »
    My training plan has 289 miles listed, so I guess that's the goal. If I hit all my workouts I'll probably be over that a tad. Today had an easy 11 miles listed but I did a few bonus minutes and ended at 11.5.

zylwaz2huizj.png

What app/program are you using? That screenshot looks cool.

Garmin Connect
  • Ammey68
    Ammey68 Posts: 65 Member
    Darn, I use FitBit. :(
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    First run of the month was not a great one. Hot an humid after the lovely cool, dry weather in Oregon. I also tried running in my Inov-8s again and decided that I just cannot run in them. Not a could conclusion to make when you are out for a 6 mile run! They make my right foot and achilles sore and my toes fall asleep - just on my right foot which I normally never have problems with. I guess they will now be relegated to gym workouts. Speaking of which I am sore from lasts night welcome back workout but not nearly as bad as I thought I was going to be but it is still early - typically hits within 24 hours.

Date.........Miles........Total
    07/01.......6.28.........6.28

exercise.png

@Stoshew71 - hope you have a great weekend in the mountains and good luck with the elevation change! It about killed me in Oregon. I kept wondering why I was huffing and puffing so much, feeling like an elephant was sitting on my chest!
    @Elise4270 - I agree with what has been said already - I think your son should definitely be able to run the HM with you. I also agree that he should slow down a bit and increase his distance slowly. The faster pace will come naturally as he adjusts to the longer distances and it will be less likely that he will get hurt.
    @MNLittleFinn - Ha! I think we all hate tapering, especially when you are reading about everyone's awesome runs!
    @RespectTheKitty - It is the best feeling when you just want to keep going!
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    @RespectTheKitty Yay for you! You definitely deserve some good feelings :smile:

Yay for all the newbies! And thanks to all the seasoned runners for all your good advice. @Stoshew71 & @Elise4270 thanks for sharing about your running beginnings. It helps to know that even the really good endurance runners struggled at the beginning also.

So here's a question: how do you know when to push through aches & pains vs. stopping to prevent an injury? I always start my runs with achy knees. I'm super paranoid about reinjuring them & being sidelined forever. I had planned to run today, but my legs & knees are achy & so I was thinking to do the bike instead. My knees seem to complain less if I don't run two days in a row. But it seems like I'll never improve if I don't push myself more. I wonder if I'm being smart by being conservative, or if I'm being too cautious & paranoid. Any thoughts?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @cljoe7 I totally agree with your logic on the shoes, except I now have 3 pair waiting and I can't see to wear out my current ones fast enough! When I asked my husband last night if he thought I should go get our son back to school shoes for $40 he said "I know what you're up to." :p
  • greenolivetree
    Please pardon the double posting.....this app gives me fits sometimes trying to type.

@cljoe7 I think it's just a learning process, learning what's normal for you and what works for you regarding aches vs injuries. That probably doesn't help much. Maybe keep some notes as you test things out. Joint pain freaks me out more than muscle.

@RespectTheKitty That's great! I'm glad you had such an incredible run.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited July 2016
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a question. I don't want to steer my son wrong. Alex is 21, very small frame ~140lbs, 5'9"ish, no athletic background, but ideal runner! He is in week 2 of his training program, (Its a 5k in 30 days). He is up to 2 miles solid already, 10-12MPW, pace is 8-9min/mile in the heat :astonished: . Sheesh, took me month's-years to do 2 miles straight and break that 10 MPW barrier, and get sub 9.

I think he should be able to do the Jenks half with us in early November. Does anyone think that could be a stretch?
    I did my first half 2 months after I ran my first full mile (and my first 10k). So I definitely think it is possible. The hard part is always that 10k to half transition, breaking that 8-10 mile barrier for most. That's purely mental though. He sounds like he could be able to run a 10k in a week or two.

In my opinion the most important thing to do now if he really wants to do a half is to make sure he does hip flexor/glute/core exercises NOW while he is just starting out, before trying to do distances longer than 10k. It's best to get those supporting muscles that aren't strengthened by running alone before you really start hitting fatigue and injury risk from bad form.

For simple bodyweight routine; Planks (regular and side), leg raises, leg lifts (adductor and abductor), bridges, mountain climbers, squats. Also, something I found very helpful, but have no way to quantify how much it helps, balancing on one leg, and then compounding that by doing kicks (front, back, side) while balancing on one leg.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    cljoe7 wrote: »
    So here's a question: how do you know when to push through aches & pains vs. stopping to prevent an injury? I always start my runs with achy knees. I'm super paranoid about reinjuring them & being sidelined forever. I had planned to run today, but my legs & knees are achy & so I was thinking to do the bike instead. My knees seem to complain less if I don't run two days in a row. But it seems like I'll never improve if I don't push myself more. I wonder if I'm being smart by being conservative, or if I'm being too cautious & paranoid. Any thoughts?
    I heard once that based on the 1-10 pain scale that you shouldn't run if the ache is anything above a 3. The problem is, that is so far down on the scale I have trouble telling a 3 from a 4. I'd probably call it either a 2 or a 5.
  • greenolivetree
    Another thought on running through an ache.... if it's affecting my gait, I wouldn't keep running because then something else starts getting sore.

I've had a sore tight calf for like 10 days now. I only feel it in the morning when I start out walking and maybe the first half mile I run. I don't really think about between runs but try to remember to do extra stretching.

Also, single leg hop test. When I had pain in my left leg, I took 9 days off, until I could hop on that leg without pain.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    I did 85 miles in June. I have a half marathon in about 7 weeks. If I am disciplined, I should run 110 miles in July :)

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I have a question. I don't want to steer my son wrong. Alex is 21, very small frame ~140lbs, 5'9"ish, no athletic background, but ideal runner! He is in week 2 of his training program, (Its a 5k in 30 days). He is up to 2 miles solid already, 10-12MPW, pace is 8-9min/mile in the heat :astonished: . Sheesh, took me month's-years to do 2 miles straight and break that 10 MPW barrier, and get sub 9.

I think he should be able to do the Jenks half with us in early November. Does anyone think that could be a stretch?

I concur with the various other replies that say your son can do it, but I especially concur with @Stoshew71 when he says your son should slow down. I won't pretend to know what your son's pace ought to be, but there is a temptation for a new runner (especially a new, young, male runner full of testosterone) to think that he should be able to run a half at the same pace he runs a 10K. Not a good idea, he shouldn't try, and if he's going to go the half marathon distance he needs to learn to run at different paces for different training purposes. In particular, he needs to learn to do long runs slower than feels natural at first. "At first" here means that later it will feel more natural, not necessarily that later he can run them faster.

On the plus side, at 21 he will be more resistant to injury than I was at 55. On the minus side, at 21 he may be more stubborn about running through pain that I was at 55 and run himself into worse injury than I did. But if he avoids the temptation to run everything fast, he could be very successful.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – rest day

July total to date – 0.00

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Become comfortable running 5 days a week. Finish Shoreline in good shape, managing the expected heat and humidity better than last year. Build base toward Rochester Marathon.

Today's notes – Second month in a row starting on a rest day. I will run tomorrow.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)