Fitbit works for me because...

mdnorthside
mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
It's pretty darn accurate. I've seen a lot of complaints on the internet about Fitbit products being inaccurate, and that has not been my experience. They're not as accurate as more expensive, or more complicated equipment, which is to be expected. However, my Charge HR has been an absolutely instrumental part of my weight loss. I have been on and off the bandwagon for many years. I generally picked a calorie limit and just stuck with it, adding extra calories for exercise. But that misses out on this whole other category of movement! There are days when I'm sitting on the couch the whole day, and day's when I walk nearly 15 miles just going around campus. That's a huge difference in calories - and it needs to be taken into account.

I have been steadily losing about 1.5lbs a week by:
  1. Eating 1,000 calories less than my Fitbit calorie count at the end of the day
  2. Doing 4 sets, 12 reps of two weight exercises each morning to build muscle

That's all! If that doesn't sound like a good deal to you I don't know what would.

Replies

• brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Same!!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Love my fitbit!
  • AlanaWood1234
    AlanaWood1234 Posts: 8 Member
    I just linked my fitbit with mfp a few days ago and I am loving it. The fitbit motivates me to move and I really can't go longer than it takes to charge without out now. I really feel like this is going to help me really see some results this time around!
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    I did pretty well before I got my Fitbit, and I wouldn't have bought one for myself. But I got a Flex as a Christmas gift in 2014, and I LOVED it. It's just extra information, and I find it helpful! :) I love it so much that this year I bought an Alta for my birthday. The fact that it's useful as more than just a pedometer (it's also a watch, gives me reminders from my phone, and alerts me to calls and texts) helps keep me from taking it off and forgetting about it.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    I have to agree that it is quite accurate. Fitbit flex worked for me in the past. Now, after baby #3, I'm back in business, and the Charge HR motivates me like no other. I'm still amazed at how many calories I burn just from daily activities (housewife, 2 toddlers, 1 infant). I figured out my TDEE from the weekly reports and cut from that. When I anticipate changes in my daily life, I adjust accordingly. So far though, Fitbit agrees with me. I went a couple of weeks without it and almost cried. Almost. Judge all you want. Lol
  • l_juliett
    l_juliett Posts: 7 Member
    Agreed, Love my fitbit :)
    Hopefully can now try to lose some weight with MFP and my fitbit. Just need to find the right balance now.
  • carmexaldewin87
    carmexaldewin87 Posts: 37 Member
    I agree! Fitbit Blaze here and had the Charge hr before. It's so great to monitor in real time your stats!
  • mdnorthside
    I have to agree that it is quite accurate. Fitbit flex worked for me in the past. Now, after baby #3, I'm back in business, and the Charge HR motivates me like no other. I'm still amazed at how many calories I burn just from daily activities (housewife, 2 toddlers, 1 infant). I figured out my TDEE from the weekly reports and cut from that. When I anticipate changes in my daily life, I adjust accordingly. So far though, Fitbit agrees with me. I went a couple of weeks without it and almost cried. Almost. Judge all you want. Lol

I felt the same way when I went on a week vacation to Florida and forgot my charger cable. No judgement here :)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    The Fitbit keeps me from overeating. When I see how many calories my activities have used over the day, and I know what I've eaten so far, if the Fitbit is showing that my eating is "even" with my activity calories, I know what I'm feeling is thirst or boredom, not true hunger.
  • jbatinker
    jbatinker Posts: 313 Member
    I also love my Alta - Love the reminders, texts, calendar appts, etc
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Love my FitBit! I love all the data I get from it, lol! Plus there's some real accountability when it comes to moving my body! I love seeing the little graphic that flashes when I surpass my step goal!
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    My Fitbit is pretty inaccurate. For example, today it says I burned 256 calories so far from exercise.....and I've been in bed the entire time with a bad summer cold.

However, I do like my Fitbit because it keeps me accountable. When it comes to calories burned, I pretty much ignore that because the hr on a Fitbit is wildly inaccurate.

But I have many friends on Fitbit and we do keep each other accountable

And linking it with mfp is pretty darn awesome
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    p33rhhee0y2x.png
  • mdnorthside
    If it makes a difference to you - I don't have my Fitbit and MFP linked. I simple eat 1,000 less calories than what's listed on the Fitbit at the end of the day. I don't know whether the "exercise adjustments" are more or less accurate than Fitbits are at total calorie burn :)
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    If it makes a difference to you - I don't have my Fitbit and MFP linked. I simple eat 1,000 less calories than what's listed on the Fitbit at the end of the day. I don't know whether the "exercise adjustments" are more or less accurate than Fitbits are at total calorie burn :)

What do you mean? Do you subtract calories eaten from calories burn?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!