From borderline obese to borderline anorexic to lean.

VividVegan
VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
I'm 5'6.5" I was nearly obese at 187 with a high body fat percentage which was confirmed by a DEXA scan. I lost over 60 pounds from calorie counting/deficit with little to no exercise. I had a skinny-fat appearance, my bones were becoming visible especially in the rib area, and I had a lot of soft spots remaining (hence, my body fat was still somewhat high). So I ate healthier while reducing calories more which made it worse and I continued to lose more weight. I eventually was at 117. My family and I were getting worried and so I tried a different approach which was beginning a weight lifting program combined with light cardio. Every other week I increased intensity of workouts and began cardio HIIT. I increased my protein intake and make my calorie deficit very small. I went from 117 to 125(now), have built lean mass, and lost over half of my body fat (according to my second DEXA scan). By the way, I currently technically eat less healthier than I did when I was overweight and skinny-fat. Back then I ate strictly only fruits, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, no table sugar, no junk food, etc. But the problems were I either ate too much or too little, my macros were always way off, and I was barely active. Eating a combination of healthy/unhealthy foods (fruits, vegetables, meat, chips, ice cream, candy, etc) and staying within my macros and calories is what keeps me going now. And I'm slowly trying to increase my exercise intensity even more. All with time.

qxp9h5.jpg
First row is when I was overweight. Second row is when I was underweight. And third row is current.

Replies

• dancinginrain
    dancinginrain Posts: 24 Member
    Wow well done! you look lean and fit and strong now great result and thank you for sharing your journey!!
  • madseasons
    madseasons Posts: 105 Member
    Awesome!!! You look amazing!!! Your hair is gorgeous too ;)
  • jmbjjsdl
    jmbjjsdl Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for Sharing..
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Great journey you had.
    Good job and good luck.
  • MrsMizzart
    MrsMizzart Posts: 52 Member
    You've done incredibly well lass. You should be proud of yourself.
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Great job!!! You look great! Congratulations :)

Also, I've experienced the same as you. I was obese, 220 lbs at 5'8" and currently am at 135lbs and have that skinny fat look. How long did it take you with strength training for that to go away if you don't mind answering?
  • smkondy
    smkondy Posts: 583 Member
    What a journey-you look great!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • pyneguana
    pyneguana Posts: 1 Member
    Hooooooooly cow what a transformation into health! Thanks for motivating me! :)
  • VividVegan
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    Great job!!! You look great! Congratulations :)

Also, I've experienced the same as you. I was obese, 220 lbs at 5'8" and currently am at 135lbs and have that skinny fat look. How long did it take you with strength training for that to go away if you don't mind answering?

Thanks! And to answer your question, it took around 10 months to get from skinny-fat to lean. It's definitely not an overnight process.

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I <3 your current pic. You look strong!
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    May I ask how long it took for you to lose the initial 60lbs?
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I think you look pretty good fat, skinny, AND lean! Lucky in build. Congratulations on getting fit.
  • VividVegan
    sallykift wrote: »
    May I ask how long it took for you to lose the initial 60lbs?

About a year and a half. The weight loss became slower the closer I got to an ideal weight.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Good job and beautiful hair the whole time lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!