What do you include in your salads?

I want to pack more salads for lunch. I'm thinking romaine and/or spinach with chicken breast or hard boiled eggs for protein. Just looking for some other topping and dressing ideas to keep it healthy and add variety.

Replies

• twilaorr
    twilaorr Posts: 3 Member
    While initially I did not think I would like the idea, I've found that certain fruits like strawberries or blueberries as well as nuts like pecans, almonds or walnuts, really change up a salad every now and then. Enjoy!
  • treegirl97
    treegirl97 Posts: 70 Member
    Other than the standard salad veggies, I like to use olives, avocado, chicken or eggs.
  • kvp7338
    kvp7338 Posts: 6 Member
    I recently added radishes, feta cheeses and a few sliced green olives to my leaf lettuce salad with a basil vinaigrette salad dressing
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    I like nuts in all my salads -- toasted pecans, chopped walnuts, or Brazil nuts are my favorites.

I have fallen in love with a new-to-me salad vegie: fennel. The flavor knocks my socks off, chopped raw in salads! Try it -- you'll love it! If you aren't familiar with it, here's this: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/discovering-fennel
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Here are a few of my favorites:
    -Arugula, tomatoes, basil, mozarrella, pesto, and vinaigrette

-Lettuce, tomatoes, black beans, avocado, jalapenos, and palm hearts with Mexican goddess dressing: https://girleatsgreens.com/2014/02/01/mexican-goddess-kale-salad/

-Lettuce, roasted hazelnuts, roasted fennel, cranberries, and roasted shallot dressing: greencarrotclub.com/?p=557

-Speltberry, lentils, kale, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and lemon-tahini dressing: ohsheglows.com/2011/05/12/lightened-up-protein-power-goddess-bowl/ (I prefer kale instead of spinach and add a lot more to it)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I use nuts and seeds and fruit. Used to hate salads until I found out you could make them without nasty chicken
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Sometimes I make "everything salads" for dinner.... some of the items I'll add (any combination or ALL):
    chick peas, black or green olives, strawberries, hard boiled egg whites or whole eggs, beets, avocado, grilled chicken breast, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins, dried cranberry, tomato, cucumber, raw zucchini, shredded parmesan, feta cheese, green red or yellow peppers, banana pepper rings, pepperoncini (whatever other veggies I might have on hand) and I that's all I can think of right now!
    o:)
  • RainaProske
    Similar to redraidergirl2, I used to be bored with salad until I found out they don't have to have lettuce.
  • RainaProske
    Does potato salad count? Love it! I add chopped up boiled eggs, a whole chopped up apple, a little sweet pickle, regular yellow mustard, mayo, chopped carrots, yellow onions, and chopped celery to mine. To die for!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    I like to add fresh herbs (dill, basil, oregano, whatever I have) to my leaf mix, chopped green onions, bell pepper, jalapeno, tomatoes, cucumber, broccoli, shredded carrot...I also like to dress mine with just lemon, olive oil, and salt. Avocado is good too and ripe ones are as good as dressing because they're so creamy, especially with a squeeze of lime. Salsa as dressing is great and low-cal too. Or sometimes I just use straight balsamic, then add berries, green apple, and goat cheese.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Sliced almonds
    Sliced black olives
    Artichoke hearts
    Edamame
    Sliced cherry tomatoes
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Today for lunch I had apple, raisins, walnuts, reduced fat Brie and spinach leaves for my salad.
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    edited July 2016
    Mandarin oranges and craisins with sunflower seeds. Edited due to auto correct.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Spring mix
    Egg whites
    Mushrooms
    Cherry tomato
    Raw broccoli
    Carrots
    Kernel seasoning
    Spray butter
    Stubbs bbq sauce
    Walden farm thousand island
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I'll typically buy 12oz bags of salad mix and I'll put the whole bag in a family sized serving bowl and I tend to add:

for protein: 1 to 2 cans of tuna, or chicken breast. Occasionally boiled eggs.
    3-6oz snow peas (in pod)
    chopped bell pepper
    onion
    3 baby cucumbers

Then I'll top it with fat free italian dressing. It ends up being 2-3lbs of salad. Takes me a good 30 minutes to eat. It's like RPE 9.5 to 10 on my jaw.

Lots of fullness at low calories. Win.

Plus, I love salad.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Romaine, spinach, radishes, shredded carrot, diced celery + chicken, top with spicy ranch or ranch + hot sauce.

Mixed greens, radishes, cucumber, chickpeas, top with lemon and olive oil

Romaine or mixed greens, corn & black bean salsa (corn, black beans, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, cumin, lime, honey, s&p, and oil). Maybe a few tortilla chips crumbled on top for fun. Good with chicken or leftover taco meat.