Constant hunger!!!

Options

Replies

• tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My challenge has always been yes I'm hungry ....but why? Bored hungry , thirsty hungry, anxious hungry, or less likely physical hunger .

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When you first start out, hunger is typical. Part of it is just learning that not feeling full is OK and the new normal.

Experiment with macros -- high fiber is the winner for me. You'll have to figure out what works best for you. My first thought is all that your snack of fruit is quickly metabolized by your body -- add or replace with protein which takes longer.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hang in there. I was hungry for a few weeks and then I adjusted. Hunger won't hurt you - although if you're so hungry you're getting light headed or nauseous, it would probably be worth trying to fit in a snack.

Eggs at breakfast really do make a difference, even if it's just a cold boiled egg you bring into work. You can boil a batch of them at the beginning of the week, only takes 10min.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree more protein in the morning and at lunch.

I make a fruit smoothie with protein powder in the summer and in winter I warm up egg muffins (easy just look on pintrest) and ham in the microwave at work in the winter.

I bring greek yogurt with me just in case and ensure I get protein in at lunch too....

but there is a greek yogurt there just in case.

If you do need a snack try greek yogurt veggie dip with celery etc.
  • twistedwoman
    twistedwoman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks
  • Rabbitsocksgardener
    Rabbitsocksgardener Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find that I can eat like 5000 calories and not feel full if I'm not eating the right food for my metabolism. Mine is very slow so I really only feel satisfied when I eat a buttload of vegetables (fruit too). That keeps me fuller longer than carbs and protein from breads or meats! I would say to make a point of adding a couple extra portions of low calorie produce! And to hang in there because your body and mind always need an adjustment period to changes in diet
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I make a protein shake before work and drink it on the way. Yummy and filling. Hard boiled eggs. Salad with extra chicken breast or tuna. You don't have to be able to cook. I'm lazy and by the pre-boiled eggs at the store. :blush:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat low enough calories for weight loss consistently enough to amount to much in the past. I gave low carb a try and now I can easily go 8 to 10 hours til my next meal without snacks if I have to. I am totally content eating 2 meals a day without snacks every day and hunger isn't an issue anymore.
    For me, the carbs just made me hungry again too soon. They didn't stick with me and it was too hard to not overeat when I felt hungry every single day. I could deal with it some days... But not day after day after day.
  • goutham6779
    goutham6779 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Inused to feel the same before after starting the workout like running and yoga and eclipster my body started asking for more food but that is not actually hunger .when we feel like eating something we need to postpone it .for example when i feel hungry in between i convince my self i will eat after drinking a glass of water .once when i consume a glass or 2 glasses of water depending upon the hunger i feel relaxed and i could postpone my self taking food for 1 hour then i will continue the something after 1 hour.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cut the carbs and increase the fat. The fat will keep you full for longer and the lower the carbs are the easier it will be to access your stored fat. Read up here for more info.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »
    Cut the carbs and increase the fat. The fat will keep you full for longer and the lower the carbs are the easier it will be to access your stored fat. Read up here for more info.

What's with all the dietdoctor spam on the boards lately? It's just suddenly exploded with people trying to divert traffic to their site these past couple of weeks.
  • i6Shot
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »

What's with all the dietdoctor spam on the boards lately? It's just suddenly exploded with people trying to divert traffic to their site these past couple of weeks.

HI haven't posted here for a while so I wouldn't know about that. Have you been there and read up on the info at hand? I find that it works really well for me so I figure there might actually be people out there that could benefit from dietdoctors advice.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Try a protein bar. I like Quest they are 170 calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    More protein and fats will help you feel fuller for longer.
  • i6Shot
    Options
    More protein and fats will help you feel fuller for longer.

Why am I being flagged when this post is basically the same as mine? I'm offering advice just like everyone else?

@RunRutheeRun I agree with your post by the way. Just not too much protein though.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that your diet looks way too low in fat to me, which would leave me starving, but after the other discussion on this page I'm worried I am going to look spammy. (no links o:) )
  • Kingvjackson
    Kingvjackson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Drink black coffee to suppress hunger in the morning. Couple hours later an apple which also reduces appetite to push your hunger away a bit longer and u can save most of ur calories for later in the day for a bigger meal.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    So the first thing I'd like to say is double check your calorie goals. If your calories are calculated correctly and you are still super hungry maybe try to aim for .5 pounds. After all all that matters is that you lose the weight - if you feel like you're torturing yourself to do it that's not going to happen.

Second, when do you get hungry? I don't know if you have noticed this, but I tend to get hungry around the same time unless I have eaten an extreme meal - 3/4 hours after I eat. So whether I eat a banana and eggs for breakfast or pancakes I always tend to get hungry, maybe closer to three if the meal was lighter, closer to four hours after if it was heavier.

If that is the case, you might be able to get away with "saving" calories from breakfast and moving them to a snack later. With my schedule I eat breakfast at around 7 or 8, depending on the day, then I eat a mid morning booster snack around 10:30 of a banana, yogurt, or a hardboiled egg. That way it's a little bit before I hit starving, and I can make it that extra step. For some reason, I don't have the same problem in the afternoon generally, but having something that is "filling" to your stomach like popcorn might help that midafternoon craving.

The most important thing to learn from this is to recognize your hunger signals. I have two - a headache, and yeti-like growling. If I have a faint feeling like I kind of want to eat, normally it means that I am bored, or maybe thirsty, or really anything but hungry. To sate that I drink water or tea, and then break out the ice chips or gum.
  • freejayme
    freejayme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance? It's a condition common among women that causes the release of excess insulin whenever you eat carbs. Insulin makes you HUNGRY! The reason I ask is the weetabix for breakfast--I am insulin resistant and a sure way for me to feel starving all day is if I have carbs for breakfast.

Here's a decent short overview if you're interested: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/insulin-resistance.htm

Of course it could just be your body adjusting to eating less too. I'm reading The Power of Habit right now, see if I can change some of those unconscious cues that make me want to eat. Habit is a powerful force. Hang in there!