Do you guys really count calories?

12345679»

Replies

• MelZweightlossjourney
    MelZweightlossjourney Posts: 56 Member
    I log everything. I've been doing it for years so I'm used to it.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    I'm trying to ditch it but, honestly it's not that hard. Even if i just enter 2 steak tacos when eating out and it's way off it's still an effort to keep me on track. It's the effort that counts right? What else am i going to do while waiting for something to microwave?
  • pcsd203
    pcsd203 Posts: 16 Member
    Its habit for me to log it now. It helps me stay on track and realize how many calories/fat are in some of the things I used to eat.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Well clearly you dont 'need' to log calories....you have been losing weight without. Well done.

Despite the emphasis on logging on mfp lots of people on here do not log regularly, or at all. For a variety of reasons.

if you carry on as you are you will continue to lose fat.. ..most likely your muscles will respond to the lifting - by growing a bit too.

I'd keep on going with your relaxed approach (as long as you do not feel unwell, or get too light for your height, and as long as your diet is a good healty mic of food types) - much more enjoyable and also less obsessive.

• Domilg23
    Domilg23 Posts: 44 Member
    ye, it helps
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    After a while of tracking, when you look at food....all you see are calorie numbers, grams of protein, sodium levels...etc...

That's funny. Didn't realize I was doing exactly that and talking about my analysis. No wonder my husband gets cranky.

LOL!!! yeah, better to keep that little commentary in your own head to avoid the rolling eyeballs and/or glazed looks.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    I do. I have to, because after all this time, I'm still idiotically amazed at how quickly things add up.

I just got back from an 8-day roadtrip with 3 kids and logged everything. It's horrifying, really. I prefer denial, but my fitted work clothes don't allow it.
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    I've been amazingly successful with MFP. Logging all my calories with nothing more than guesse's as to the calorie contents. I purposefully overestimate calories. And, instead of one exercise strategy, I incorporate two to three, almost daily. I've been doing this in one way or another, for years. And I've never seen the need to own a scale. I've lost 50 lbs. and have kept it off for three years now.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    I don't count calories in maintenance. I developed good habits during loss and now I just kind of eyeball my food and use common sense, and it works well. I hope I never have to go back to counting calories. What an OCD-type consumer of my time.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I count cals as best as I can w/MFP. I use the DB in MFP, I weigh food and I scan info off labels. If in doubt, I overestimate cals consumed and underestimate cals burned. So, that I don't over eat. This worked well enough 3 years ago for me to lose 40 lbs in 5 months. Goal this time is more modest. Just need to lose about 20 lbs. Started at 196 and now at 181 after just 6 weeks. Target is 175 (prior weight loss was too extreme) which is my best weight and expect to get there w/in another 3-4 weeks. Couldn't do it w/o counting cals w/MFP.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    I enter the food. The computer counts. Unless you are talking about sleeping sometimes I count backwards.

Yes I weigh and enter everything I eat. Hit goal six months ago and still log everything.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    I lost my weight through calorie counting and this is how I'm going to keep it off. I understand it isn't for everyone but I don't see it as obsessive to keep doing what works. I'll probably always count my calories and I have no problem with that. I just reached maintenance today.
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    I don't measure or weigh everything, but I'm pretty good at estimating and limiting my portion size. I log it all. So far it's gotten me to goal and kept me here for 15 months.