Did you swim today?

Replies

• Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    @emmab0902

Oh yes, save the 400 IM for the last! Nice workout!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Still on the IR list for running so trying to get a little extra Pool Time.
    Double Dip Day, neither one was a great swim/workout. Huge crowds at noon and in the evening they only had one double lane open - 4 swimmers.
    Up the edge and down the middle to minimize collisions.
    Between the two swims I did manage to get in 2600m of paddling.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    4 miles today.
    2000, 3000, 2050. FC.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I hadn't been training like I should. For some reason the cold water freaked me out enough that I couldn't get in to do my proper open water training for an event.

I did finally do it, but did two miles rather than four. And boy was it challenging.
  • Montepulciano
    4100 yards, 88 minutes, really it was just less rest...which is good.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Been out of the water for over 3 weeks while on a trip to Europe. Hoping to get back in tonight, but not super hopeful for a great swim as we basically ate and drank for three weeks straight, lol... I did get a chance to swim in open water while in southern France. Holy smokes. Even with bilateral breathing, sighting was really tough. I had no idea that I was being pushed off course so much by the current. It was a ton of work. Noel, I feel for you!!

Great to see all of the swims going on here! @MightyLolo good luck with your TI workshop! I envy you. I have been trying to incorporate some of the TI techniques through video and reading, but there are no opportunities for a workshop near me. I keep checking though. Slowing my kick to a 2-beat kick has allowed me to swim longer without breaks. Tell us how it goes!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Had to shoehorn it in to the schedule but got 40 minutes in for just over 2K yards. Felt great to be back in the water!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Didn't go tonight. Feeling disillusioned.

After getting back into swimming nearly two years ago, and training by myself for the first six months, I was excited about rejoining the club I competed for as a teenager. And even more excited when the masters squad became officially registered with New Zealand Master Swimming.

But after a few things that have happened recently, I'm now wondering if I should just go back to training on my own.

Combination of things. Losing coach sucks but then even his programmes hadn't been what they were. Last year I really felt challenged and that it was beneficial. This year there's no clear focus.

Plus nobody really wants to compete. I thought quite a few would be interested in an upcoming meet. It's not too far away and it's just a fun one, nothing serious. But nobody else was remotely keen. That was the point of us becoming a registered club. :disappointed:
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Maybe you need to more openly challenge the club members to lIve up to the point of registering - either you will effect a change of heart, or find out there are other reasons why people wanted to rehister and you are never gping to get them to conpete... And you can make an informed choice after that Emma?

Anyway - 1k of IM in my slow and steady 36mins plus a few laps of honour to take it to a 40 mins swim. I am not swimming at my best endurance wise... But i went.

To keep me amused, I counted laps by thinking of flowers - a allium, b buttercup etc. All went well til s when - after a few gulps of chlorine in a mistimed dolphin kick breath - i could not think of a songle flower beginning with s, for all 50m!

• juliet3455
    @emmab0902 I agree with @gentlygently throw a little challenge out to the club. For me it is ironic as I live in Northern Alberta, Canada and don't have a masters swim club or enough people who swim to organize a club. This means we have limited events due to location and long distance travel required to get to them. Most events are run parallel to a Triathlon or Junior swim club. So we always seem to have a group of people who are going or who want to go, even if we are split between the events or join up with friends from another community to make one group.

No swim last night as I went out for a run - the first since May 20 when I torn a calf muscle.

@gentlygently sunflower, sweet pea, snap dragon were the 3 common ones I thought of.
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles this morning.
    2000, 2000 FC
    500 kick board and fins.
    500 pull buoy and hand pads.
    2050 FC.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Today: 1 mile @ 65 minutes
  • Montepulciano
    Swimming a 5K open water swim...lovely.
    Marking other people with a magic marker...priceless.
  • juliet3455
    2 of the ladies from the Triathlon Swim Club were in the pool so we each wrote out a drill on the White board. While we were doing the warm up & kick set the Senior instructor walked past the board, stopped and she added in the 200m and 400m timed swims. >:)

100m Pull, 100m Crawl as warm-up.
    75m Split Kick Drill Ladder repeats
    50m free - 25m kick
    25m free - 50m kick
    25m free - 25m kick
    25m free - 50m kick
    50m free - 25m kick

6 x 50m Pull, Pool Buoy. Still working on my Left hand entry and left shoulder breathing.

200m Timed crawl 4:16

Broken 200m Pyramid sets. Flip turns in deep end.
    8 x 25m @ 45
    4 x 50m @ 1:15
    2 x 100m @ 2:30
    1 x 200m @ 4:00 ( yea this took 4:25 so no rest at the wall )
    2 x 100m @ 2:30
    4 x 50m @ 1:15
    8 x 25m @ 45
    4 x 25m easy - Breathing on 3 outbound,5 inbound

400m Timed Swim; 10:12. Total 3050m

Killer - especially with the 2 added timed crawl sets.
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    I think I've found the perfect time to swim! 9pm on a friday night - absolute bliss. I went last friday for a recovery swim (as I was a walking bundle of DOMS from the gym :s ) and found that the main pool was closed off for canoe polo and lap swimmers were in the dive pool. Luckily night swimming apparently isn't to popular in my university town so for 90% of the time I was the only person in the entire pool! Every now and again someone would hop into a lane a few away from me and do some laps but that was it. And I quite enjoyed looking at the floor 5m below me, it just felt so much more peaceful than normal. I did my usual 2.5km set.

I was planning on repeating the experience tomorrow night but had a cortisone shot in my shoulder yesterday and the orthopod told me to stay away from the gym/pool until at least monday so unfortunately it will have to wait another week!
  • Montepulciano
    4100 yards, 89 minutes. I was struggling to get to the pool today, and this group inspired me to get there...so thanks.
  • Montepulciano
    Went to the pool, got all set, walked out onto the pool deck and my cap split as I went to put it on. Keep a spare in your bag, lesson learned.
  • fishgutzy
    4 miles again.
    5AM is a good time to swim. usually just 2 of us in 8 lanes for the first 30 minutes or so.
    Summer time, no swim teams in the morning. At most 4 lanes occupied at some pint between 5AM and a little after 7 when I'm done.
    After work work out today will be archery with the kids if it is not raining.
  • Montepulciano
    Sounds like a nice day, Fishgutzy.