Fitbit works for me because...

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Just took a quiz on Amazon which was supposed to tell me what Fitbit to buy. Its answer was the Fitbit Alta. One thing I still don't know, however, is whether or not I need a Smart Phone to use it. (So far, I've refused to buy a Smart Phone.) If I don't have a Smart Phone, how will that restrict the Fitbit Alta's use? Thank you!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Just took a quiz on Amazon which was supposed to tell me what Fitbit to buy. Its answer was the Fitbit Alta. One thing I still don't know, however, is whether or not I need a Smart Phone to use it. (So far, I've refused to buy a Smart Phone.) If I don't have a Smart Phone, how will that restrict the Fitbit Alta's use? Thank you!

You don't need a smartphone. Most, if not all of the Fitbits come with a USB dongle you can plug into your computer to sync your Fitbit. The drawback is you aren't able to compete in challenges with friends without the smartphone app.
  • mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Yep Julie2038,
    I keep a deficit between 500-1000 all day and then an hour or so after dinner I check my deficit and if it's more than 1000 by a lot I eat a snack.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Thank you @malibu927 ! I appreciate your answer. :smile:
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    I've had the one for a couple of years and it's an absolutely awesome bit of kit. Especially at the start of my journey. Once you get down to the lowest reaches of body fat it definitely over calculates calories but I no longer use it for that function and merely keep it for the steps.

I'm awaiting the next generation of these wearables, one that calculates calories based on heart rate not just steps. Also one that knows when I am lifting weights, what I'm doing, can help with form and such. Has GPS, has smartphone linkage, waterproof and at least a weeks battery between charges. Basically I want everything, cos that's how I am.

I feel the same. I love my fitbit but today I took a non-strenuous walk for 23 minutes and later ran (fast! hard! sweaty!) on the elliptical for 23 minutes. My Alta logged me as basically the same calorie burn for each of these activities. There is no way that is accurate. I know the Alta does not have HR but from what I understand the HR function would not solve this problem with current models anyway.
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    LOVE my Alta!!! It has really motivated me to add more "lifestyle" exercise/steps to my life and those are habits that I can use FOREVER!
  • Bmoremama
    Good points. It does get me moving more during the day.
  • MiyazakiChick
    MiyazakiChick Posts: 10 Member
    I had and loved my Basis Peak but it was recalled. I'm in love with my FitBit Blaze and it has an illuminating display. (Peak lit up with prodding) I'm impressed with the accuracy. I'm fond of walking a path with mile markers and my distance is spot on.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    p33rhhee0y2x.png

I think you misunderstand how the MFP/Fitbit sync works. MFP estimates your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - which includes everything from sitting, standing, breathing - as well as any activity included in the activity level you selected during setup) and is set at that number. Fitbit also calculates your TDEE using it's own system. If your TDEE is higher via Fitbit than what MFP thinks it should be, you get an adjustment for the difference. So you probably did burn that much more than what MFP thought you would. Especially with your goal set so low.

Hope that helps - best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tiffanylacourse
    Bmoremama wrote: »
    I've had the one for a couple of years and it's an absolutely awesome bit of kit. Especially at the start of my journey. Once you get down to the lowest reaches of body fat it definitely over calculates calories but I no longer use it for that function and merely keep it for the steps.

I'm awaiting the next generation of these wearables, one that calculates calories based on heart rate not just steps. Also one that knows when I am lifting weights, what I'm doing, can help with form and such. Has GPS, has smartphone linkage, waterproof and at least a weeks battery between charges. Basically I want everything, cos that's how I am.

I feel the same. I love my fitbit but today I took a non-strenuous walk for 23 minutes and later ran (fast! hard! sweaty!) on the elliptical for 23 minutes. My Alta logged me as basically the same calorie burn for each of these activities. There is no way that is accurate. I know the Alta does not have HR but from what I understand the HR function would not solve this problem with current models anyway.

I'm not so sure that's true. I have the Charge HR and I definitely get more calorie burn for a jog/run than I do for a leisurely walk.
  • Bmoremama

I'm not so sure that's true. I have the Charge HR and I definitely get more calorie burn for a jog/run than I do for a leisurely walk.

Oh, good to know! Thanks!
  • tiffanylacourse

Oh, good to know! Thanks!

No problem at all! :flowerforyou:
  • nh5nh5
    nh5nh5 Posts: 21 Member
    I bought a fitbit hr charge. This has helped me a lot. I have a desk job and i utilise all the features such as the silent alarms to prompt me to do the 150 steps an hour - down the stairs, to the water cooler and back up again as opposed to the one outside my office. I have it set at 5000 steps just to make sure i move around at least this a day. when walking making sure my heart raised stays in burn is a good aspect of it too. I don't take any notice of the info of calories burnt on the fit bit, i let the app work with my fitness pal and take that as the correct amount. Sometimes i eat them sometimes I don't - works for me anyway :smile:
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member

Love my FB - and I have the tan line too! I have the ChargeHR and I definitely get different calorie numbers depending on the activity - run, walk, row, whatever. (and I can see the breakdown when I click on the calorie "tile".) For the price it obviously won't be as accurate as more expensive monitors, but I assume that if some activity numbers are high and some are low, it averages out enough for my purposes.

The "maximum heart rate" numbers are annoyingly one-formula-fits-all (it uses 220-age) and there's no way to change it manually without gaming some of the other numbers (like age), tho supposedly they're working on it. Mine is higher (which I know b/c we did specific testing in my erg class), making the color coded ranges on the FB out of whack for me, so I just keep that in mind when I'm looking at how hard I worked. For resting heart rate numbers, I care less about the absolute number on a given day than about the trend over time, and for heart rate during activities I only care about getting the rate "up" for a certain period of time. I run/row for general health purposes and don't do the kind of particularized training where I'm trying to hit specific numbers.

I find that if I charge it every time I take a shower, that tops up the charge pretty well.
  • natyyl85510
    natyyl85510 Posts: 36 Member
    I love my Fitbit and mfp I was struggling to hit 10000 steps a day now I'm on 20000 a day with a 20 kg weight loss
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Just got mine and I stay at the gym twice as long and burn twice as much because I love seeing my stats go up :)
  • Redwineandmuscles
    Redwineandmuscles Posts: 46 Member
    I'm a bit geeky
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    It's pretty darn accurate. I've seen a lot of complaints on the internet about Fitbit products being inaccurate, and that has not been my experience. They're not as accurate as more expensive, or more complicated equipment, which is to be expected. However, my Charge HR has been an absolutely instrumental part of my weight loss. I have been on and off the bandwagon for many years. I generally picked a calorie limit and just stuck with it, adding extra calories for exercise. But that misses out on this whole other category of movement! There are days when I'm sitting on the couch the whole day, and day's when I walk nearly 15 miles just going around campus. That's a huge difference in calories - and it needs to be taken into account.

I have been steadily losing about 1.5lbs a week by:
    1. Eating 1,000 calories less than my Fitbit calorie count at the end of the day
    2. Doing 4 sets, 12 reps of two weight exercises each morning to build muscle

That's all! If that doesn't sound like a good deal to you I don't know what would.

Yep, I love my Fitbit Charge HR! It's helped me eat little enough to lose 38 kg and get to my goal weight, but eat enough so I don't starve myself and crash and burn.

I hope you don't think I'm being too personal, but I looked at your profile and it says you only need to lose 19 lbs.

I'm concerned your calorie deficit is too aggressive.

The general rule is that you should aim to lose 0.5 lbs per week if you have 15 lbs to lose.

You might find it easier to stick to your eating plan for longer if you increase your calories, rather than risking a crash and burn.

My kindest regards.
  • Lorraine7486
    Lorraine7486 Posts: 21 Member
    Hey thinking of buying well. In a nutshell do they measure your steps, measure how many calories you burn throw the day and measure your heartbeart? Also it says sleep, what does it do while you sleep?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!