Alcohol...best cal choice

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    Personally, I think if you are going to indulge in alcohol every once in awhile, you may as well choose your favorite and just work it into your log. I prefer Johnny Walker Black, sure it may have more calories than Vodka, but it is so much more satisfying to me. But it is only on rare occasions that I drink (once every two months or so). If you plan on drinking several times a week, then perhaps going low cal may help you hit your calories goal.

I actually love vodka...mixed with club soda....with the squirt.

I've turned a lot of people onto it that don't care about calories.

40 calories is great.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Captain Morgan and Diet Coke with a lime FTW. 80 calories well spent.
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    I drink Bud Select 55. Doesn't have as high of an alcohol content, but it tastes pretty good. I love beer...usually drink Busch Light, but have switched. I can drink quite a few and still stay within calories and not get sloppy drunk. Used to drink almost every night after work (easy when you own a bar and are there 6 nights a week), but now drink only on Wed. nights (night off). Guess if matters whether you're after the "buzz" or taste....
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    zyxst wrote: »

Great link.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Vodka and water with a squirt of Mio.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Best option, don't drink alcohol at all. I don't and still enjoy myself.

I'm sure that OP realizes that's an option, so I'm not sure what the point of posting this was...

OP asked what drinks are kindest to their diet, non alcoholic drinks are the kindest.

I could have a Miller lite for 95 calories, or a regular Coke for 140 calories. Non-alcoholic isn't always kindest. And I'm pretty sure when the OP said "out for drinks" they meant alcohol.

Personally, I would go for a light beer, a glass of wine or a vodka with lime.

Exactly. OP asked specifically for lighter alcoholic choices, so making the (false) claim than non-alcoholic is the low-cal option wasn't helpful...yeah, drinking water is the only calorie-free option, but there are plenty of non-alcoholic options that are higher calorie than alcoholic ones anyway.

I drink Scotch if I want something to sip (~70cal/oz) or wine (usually a red with dinner or prosecco if I'm not eating, both usually around 120 cal for a standard pour.) It's not a calorie thing so much as just what I enjoy, but I find it very easy to fit in a bit of whiskey or wine into my day because they're fairly low calorie in reasonable quantities.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    2 1/2 oz dry vodka martini has 156 calories
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Wine seems best to me. If I'm going to drink alcohol I might as well get some healthy probiotics, antioxidants and other nutrients while doing it. Plus, it tastes awesome and pairs better with healthy foods than junk food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Vodka and water with a squirt of Mio.

I did this with the calorie-free Grape Kool-Aid stuff a couple of weeks ago and . . . let's just say it goes down easy. Really easy.
  • sjgold123
    sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
    I may go for vodka with soda then flavouring. I like a long drink so could not go neat and yep I meant alcohol I don't drink often but i have a ball to go to and i'm celebrating getting into my new dress!!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I shoot hard liquor (either pisco or jägermeister) and chase with diet soda.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    As many others have said, vodka & soda is a great option. Try it with flavored vodka though, my current favorite is Stoli Blueberry & soda. Bacardi (they also make this in flavors) and soda is another option. Mind you when we say "soda" we mean soda water, not cola/pop.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Wine seems best to me. If I'm going to drink alcohol I might as well get some healthy probiotics, antioxidants and other nutrients while doing it. Plus, it tastes awesome and pairs better with healthy foods than junk food.

Same here. I love wine..I drink it more than any other kind of alcohol. When I'm in the mood for it, it's worth every calorie, and the health benefits make it more of a win. The calorie count for a glass of wine isn't too awful, either, especially compared to a Coke or a Starbucks drink.
    Although, I do also enjoy craft beers, or the occasional shot of Pyrat rum. That stuff goes down surprisingly easily..and I think around 60-80 calories or so..
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

Same here. I love wine..I drink it more than any other kind of alcohol. When I'm in the mood for it, it's worth every calorie, and the health benefits make it more of a win. The calorie count for a glass of wine isn't too awful, either, especially compared to a Coke or a Starbucks drink.
    Although, I do also enjoy craft beers, or the occasional shot of Pyrat rum. That stuff goes down surprisingly easily..and I think around 60-80 calories or so..

I was always a wine person and haaaated beers. Until I discovered Paulaner Hefeweizen and Hoegaarden Wit. I have been converted!!!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    missak610 wrote: »
    My trainer recommended I stick to vodka soda when I go out

Yep.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »

I was always a wine person and haaaated beers. Until I discovered Paulaner Hefeweizen and Hoegaarden Wit. I have been converted!!!

I think I've had some of the Paulaner Oktoberfest beer and remember it being pretty good. My conversion beer was Bell's..I don't think I have had one yet that I didn't like!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Have you considered a "flavoured" vodka + soda?

I hate vodka & soda as I find it too easy to taste the vodka, but peach flavoured vodka and soda is really nice.

I also go for higher calorie spirits, like sweet liquors but added to soda, it may have more calories than vodka, but overall less than vodka+"full strength" soft drink.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    I don't like really sweet drinks, so Gin and tonic with a dash of bitters is good, or a well made martini (higher in kcal but hard to drink quickly). If I'm on a night out I'll often have a G&T followed by a tonic and bitters, then another G&T.