Weighing/ logging meat on the bone

This never seems accurate to me but I may just be being paranoid! I currently cook the food, weigh it, then eat it (not the bone obvs) then weigh what is left and log that weight for my calories.
Is this right? MFP never states the weight with or without bone on the options so its confusing! What does everyone else do?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Database entries created by users will vary, but you can generally assume that database entries don't include parts of the food that are not edible (bone, peel, seeds, etc).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    I weigh raw and then search for the raw ingredient. If it has bone, for example bone in pork chop, I would search:

0gnxn3c5m10o.jpg
    (it wasn't the first result, but it wasn't too far down either. This is the entry based off USDA information and is what I would use).

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Personally, I would weigh only the edible parts. Any entry that includes the edible parts will be a good enough approximation for many, but who's to say that your bone in pork chop has the same thickness and density of bone? There are just too many variables for my personal comfort. I prefer to track as closely to what I eat as I can, but then again, your need or desire to be that accurate may not be the same as mine.

Ultimately, whatever method you use, as long as you are consistent, you will be able to make adjustments over the long term and that's what really matters.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    I wondered this last night when I had ribs. I swear I had 75 percent bone and 25 percent meat!
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    I had Chicken drumsticks tonight, I had 4 (grilled) which weighed 290g, I weighed the bones leftover and that was 90g so I only logged 200g worth? I hope im doing it right lold8fyrl2z0vuf.png
  • ila1941
    ila1941 Posts: 7 Member
    When using the app database, I am assuming that actual meat is what is listed. For example, 4 ounces of spareribs would be just the meat. So, you have two choices. Weigh, eat the meat, weigh again and subtract from original weight to get actual meat weight. Or cut the meat off the bone and weigh. Am I correct in my thinking?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    ila1941 wrote: »
    Weigh, eat the meat, weigh again and subtract from original weight to get actual meat weight. Or cut the meat off the bone and weigh.

This is what I normally do. Others do it differently, but this way is easiest for me.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I usually take the meat off of the bone and weigh, but you could just weigh the bone afterward.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I do this:
    • Cook
    • Weigh
    • Log total weight using appropriate USDA-matching entry for cooked meat
    • Eat
    • Weigh bone
    • Subtract bone's weight from originally-entered weight and revise my log to reflect the difference
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    If I care enough that day I will cut the meat off the rib, take chicken off the bone and I will even take the skin and bone from a chicken wing and weigh the meat. Some days I guesstimate and enter that amount. I never thought about weighing the bones after. It's a smart idea