Pokemon Go

Xxlune
Xxlune Posts: 34 Member
Hi everyone! I just wanted to give a recommendation for everyone (like me) who find it hard to go outside for a walk. People who are trying to get a few more steps in every day.

Download this app, Pokemon Go! It's not only fun for people who have always enjoyed Pokemon (I hadn't shown any interest since I was a young child), but also for the casual gamer.

It involves you walking around with your phone, searching and catching Pokemon. You can fight other players' pokemon at Gyms (monuments or other important places in your direct surroundings) and you collect free things at pokestops (pretty much everywhere around you, at statues, important buildings, etc.)

It made me walk at least 5000 steps extra per day so far, and its FUN!

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Ingress is pretty much the same game. I've been playing that for years.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Still waiting for it to come out in canada. Can't wait as I think it'll be a great way to trick my daughter into going for walks with me :)
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    My teenage girls play that. We walk together every morning and this morning they were running ahead and having a good time. I haven't checked it out yet, but they love it and it seems to get them moving.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    Ingress is pretty much the same game. I've been playing that for years.

The same people make the Pokemon Go! game using the same technology.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    I was literally coming on here to post about pokemon go...

I think it will solve the obesity problems lol. I went on a 40 minute walk after my workout yesterday.
  • LaReineDesPixels
    LaReineDesPixels Posts: 105 Member
    I just downloaded it... now if only the servers will stay up I can actually try it out! :D
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    This is hilarious. I loaded the ap at work and was wandering around my office building, hoping no one would know what I was doing.
  • MissNicolioli
    MissNicolioli Posts: 34 Member
    I love app! Boyfriend and I had the day off and we walked about five miles. I'm so tired but we had a great time!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Still waiting for it to come out in canada. Can't wait as I think it'll be a great way to trick my daughter into going for walks with me :)
    Few of my Canadian friends found links on the internet to download the .apk file for Pokémon GO and are able to play that way.

• TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    I think it's available here in Montreal Canada but my phone is garbage so I'll have to wait until my contract expires.
  • tmi_gang
    tmi_gang Posts: 781 Member
    BuffDaddyG wrote: »
    I tried to catch a Pokemon in the gym the other day and someone more than likely thought I was taking a picture of them. But I don't give a heck. I want to be the best there ever was.

I laughed my *kitten* off at this comment.

I do have a question though.

Is the character really supposed to walk that slow? I walk maybe 300 feet and my character barely moves..

• all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Love the idea, although the traffic around my office ensures a certain mortality if I tried catching them all.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    lacroyx wrote: »
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Few of my Canadian friends found links on the internet to download the .apk file for Pokémon GO and are able to play that way.

I have to wait til it's out as my daughter gets into my phone daily to play games. Plus with all the server problems right now I'm good with waiting. She doesn't handle things like that we'll (she's autistic) so...hopefully it'll be in Canada soon and server issues will be resolved :)
  • erinmc1986
    erinmc1986 Posts: 6 Member
    My husband and I walked about 3 miles today playing. It was funny to see the people in their cars driving to the stops.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    I've been having fun with this myself! Behind the building where I work, there's three Pokestops on a 1/3 mile track. There's also lots of pokemon for the catching in the area. So I've been actually taking my breaks for once, and going out and hitting up all the pokestops, often more than once in a trip hehe. :)
  • MikiFloofyPanda
    MikiFloofyPanda Posts: 24 Member
    I've been having a lot of fun with it and look forward to being able to get out and do more walking. I have to go to a park or something because there are so very few pokemon in my apartment complex.
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I got in about 12,000 steps today thanks to this game alone! I saw a bunch of people on campus doing the same, so this is pretty exciting!