Sugar free

I have tried everything but when I continue to eat sugar, the more I want! Is anyone on a sugar-free plan and how did you begin? Thanks?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I'm by no means sugar free but I eat far less than I used to. I try to stay below MFPs sugar targets.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    I am currently back on my 'eat all the sugar' kick but twice have drastically cut back my sugar intake. I have done it by first cutting out what I eat that has the most sugar, so for me it is candy/cookies/cake, and I reminded myself it wasn't forever, just for right now. Once I stopped craving those I started looking around my house for what had high sugar content and doing swaps for that or homemade (like pasta sauce)

Twice now that has worked and I felt amazing but also twice now I feel off the wagon. So I am back at it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It isn't possible to avoid sugar completely, because theres's naturally occurring sugar in fruit, dairy, vegetables, and no reason to avoid that. You don't need a "sugar free plan", just plan to eat food that does not set off those cravings. If you find yourself craving certain foods you don't want to eat, just stop buying them. It could also be a good idea to change that avatar. If you on the other hand find that not eating what you crave, intensifies your cravings, plan to incorporate small amounts into your diet regularly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm pretty close to sugar free. I chose full fat dairy so that reduces my milk sugars. I skip most fruit. I do not eat much in baked goods (maybe a sugar free coconut flour muffin that I made), and I avoid starchy veggies. I do not eat any foods with added sugars.

I keep my entire carb count low. Carbohydrates are just chains of sugars. The lower I keep my totak carbs, the less I crave sugars.

I started by cutting out added sugars, grains and then most naturally occuring sugars. It took about two weeks. I feel much better for it.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    I don't go sugar-free, but I do try to eat w/ less sugar. In order to kick-start this I just adjust my diet for 7-10 days to not eat anything that tastes terribly sweet. It's very, very subjective, but it helps me personally. So no dessert items, no honey or sugar in tea, no sweetened beverages, etc. I'll have a peach or something each day, but go pretty light on sugar. I still end up having 25-40gms per day just naturally occurring in food, but it helps a lot to stop tasting sweetness so intensely for a while.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    170isthin wrote: »
    I have tried everything but when I continue to eat sugar, the more I want! Is anyone on a sugar-free plan and how did you begin? Thanks?

Are you looking for low sugar or just added sugars. If the former, then look into lchf or ketogenic. If its the latter, replace ultra processed foods with wholesome sources. I tend to do better when inreplace sweets with fruit. My desert is replace to fruit with low sugar coolwhip. I also focus on getting foods from natural sources and really concentrate on getting plenty of protein and fiber.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I'm not sugar free but I reduced my consumption drastically compared to the past. For me eating more fruits and vegetables, as well as getting enough fat and protein, are what reduced any cravings. I still have a little treat on most days, whether it's a square of dark chocolate or a cookie. I don't need it, but if I want it I can choose to have it. When I do crave something sugar laden, like a donut or brownie, I let myself eat it as long as it fits within my calorie budget.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    That's an ironic avatar.
  • Jan1936
    Jan1936 Posts: 493 Member
    I removed as much "added" sugars as I could comfortably (ketchup remains!). I watched some documentaries on "sugar and corporate food" and decided to try to reduce sugar to get rid of the cravings.
    4 grams of sugar is a teaspoon so I check ready made foods for the amount per serving. If I want a sweet I have one, but it is deliberate and really good- not 3 teaspoons of sugar in my cup of soup. I still eat 2 fresh whole fruit per day for desserts after my meals- they do not trigger a craving for me and keep me happy!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    edited July 2022
    I’ve adopted several sugar free substitutes.

I always took the attitude. ewwwww chemicals!, but finally realized the extra hundred pounds was harming my health a lot more than sugar substitutes.

I drink Coke Zero now, make homemade ice creams with sugar free pudding mix, use sugar free syrups and salad dressings.

All are tasty and convenient to use.

I also began eating fruit, allow myself a chunk of chocolate once in a while, and enjoy an Apple fritter every Sunday morning. All are within my calorie budget.

Unless you have medical restrictions, just do whatever you find tasty and still fits in your budget.
  • azuki84
    azuki84 Posts: 212 Member
    i love sugar
  • rosiekin
    rosiekin Posts: 78 Member
    edited July 2022
    I'm definitely not sugar free but at the start of 2014, I decided to abstain from, not moderate, my intake of sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits and ice-cream. I believed these to be my trigger foods, and while in the past, when I was in the right head space, I had been able to lose significant amounts of weight by moderating/controlling how much of these foods I ate, it was a constant battle and took a lot of effort, because no matter how much I ate, I always wanted more.
    At the start of 2014, I was the heaviest I'd ever been, and had very high cholesterol, and I knew I had to take control of my eating again, and for me, that meant trying something I hadn't done before.
    I accept abstinence is not everyone, but it's worked for me. I've been successfully maintaining a 6 stone plus weight loss since 2015, and in over 30 years of dieting, I'd never been able to maintain any weight loss before.
    When I made that decision in January 2014, I never really planned for it to be forever (and it might not be), but the benefits of maintaining a healthy weight for over 7 years far, far outweigh the very occasional times when I feel like eating a white chocolate Magnum, etc!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    I avoid sweets, candy, baked good etc because once I start eating them I struggle to stop. I don't sweat added sugars (or naturally occurring for that matter) in savoury foods, because that's not what triggers why cravings.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Like all food, I had to just eat less of EVERYTHING, including sugar. Just like every food, I allow a certain amount everyday. Candy was the hardest for me, so I allow 2 pieces at the end of the day for staying within my calorie budget. Usually 70-80 calories.