July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    July running challenge: goal is 60 miles.

7/5...4 miles
    7/7...3.66 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)--11:06 pace.
    7/8...10 miles
    7/10...6 miles
    total of 23.66 miles for the month of July.

Another hot day in Indy....was supposed to work an overtime shift but due to low census, decided to cancel it, leaving an opportunity for another run. I was going to only run 4 miles, but changed my mind and ran 6 instead, incorporating some 1 minute sprints (at 98% max heart rate). Then for the last 1.5 miles, I just picked up the pace a little. There was a slight breeze at mile 3 but otherwise just hot. The trail was a little crowded with bicycles but only one other runner. I am trying to get accustomed to running in hot weather. My next race will be in October (probably) and have no idea what that race will be like, weather-wise or terrain-wise.

Did any of you watch the Michael Phelps interview with Joe Buck? I was amazed that he was in some trouble (goggles slipped and unable to see) in one of his winning races, but used a strategy of counting his strokes and still was able to win his race (I think it was one of his butterfly races). My guess is that it had happened in one of his practices and that he thought out what to do if it occurred in a race. Otherwise, not sure how he was able to overcome it. Also interesting in the interview that he practiced every day, including Christmas. (He said that it gave him an extra 52 days of practice...other competitors had a rest day once a week.)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    @Elise4270 - I recently bought a set of resistance bands with carabiner clips on each end. The paperwork started with a warning about them being the worlds most powerful slingshot. They range from 3 pounds to 30 pounds and you can combine them via handles and the carabiner clips to get around 160 pounds of resistance. You could do more than just squirrels, all while getting in a workout.
    I envision @Elise4270 launching her tiny self with these bands :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    edited July 2016
    @ereck44 - I think the interview was actually from last year and yes he did an amazing job finishing the race with his googles aschew. It was the 200 butterfly race in Bejing. I had the opportunity to meet him in the Baltimore airport. He was on my flight and sat across from me on the plane, slept all the way there from LA. He was by himself, no handler, no coach, no security, just a very sweet guy. I honestly was amazed with everything he has done and gone through what a truly nice guy he was, chatting with me about swimming as we waited for our luggage. He even took a selfie for me as his arms were way longer than mine :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece
    3 July – 10 km
    5 July – 10 km
    7 July – 10 km
    8 July – 5.6 km & Body Balance
    9 July – 13.6 km & 10 km PB
    11 July – 10 km

July Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 63.9 km

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch virtual half marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk/Run 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km

A blustery 10 km this morning, but at least the rain waited till I finished.

I'm pretty happy with my weekly schedule at the moment.
    • Two 10 km easy runs
    • One long run which I can build on or cut back as need be
    • One fast 5 km.

I've got a Strava Macmillan marathon training plan scheduled to start in a week or two, to get me ready for The Bloody Long Walk/Run 35 km on October 23.

It'll be interesting to see how closely I stick to it, and how much my body, prudence, and the shorter distance goal affect it. I don't want to wear myself out before the actual race.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2016
    07/06 2.50 mi
    07/08 3.00 mi
    07/10 2.00 mi
    TOTAL 7.50 mi
    GOAL: 50.00 mi

Upcoming Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    7/1: Rest/moving day
    7/2: 8 miles
    7/3: 3 miles
    7/4: 5.8 miles
    7/5: 8 miles
    7/6: 5 miles
    7/7: 5.2 miles (am)
    ......: 6.4 miles (pm)
    7/8: Rest day
    7/9: 5.8 miles (Belmar 5 miler: 37:42)
    7/10: 14.9 miles
    7/11: 3 miles with Monday coffee crew

Took on fewer miles today for a) a semblance of an "off" day and b) because I've been cajoled into running a cross country 5k tomorrow so I'll make up the miles then between the race and a warm-up and cool down.

Our running group has been harassed a few times now though by a guy who drives a white Tesla. He doesn't like us running on the road -- even though some streets lack sidewalks and the roads aren't busy so cars have plenty of room to move over. This morning is the third run-in with him, and he honked at our group and tried to run us off the road. We finally have a license plate number now, so we're making a second police report. It's one thing to honk and yell, another thing to actually swerve toward human beings with a motor vehicle. Hopefully the police will take it seriously this time instead of shrugging it off and saying, "Well, nothing we can do!" like last time.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    01-Jul: 3.38 miles
    02-Jul: 6.45 miles
    03-Jul: <Life Day>
    04-Jul: 6.36 miles
    05-Jul: 7.14 miles
    06-Jul: 5.31 miles
    07-Jul: 4.75 miles
    08-Jul: 5.49 miles
    09-Jul: 5.75 miles
    10-Jul: <Life Day>
    11-Jul: 5.78 miles
    12-Jul:
    13-Jul:
    14-Jul:
    15-Jul:
    16-Jul:
    17-Jul: <Life Day>
    18-Jul:
    19-Jul:
    20-Jul:
    21-Jul:
    22-Jul:
    23-Jul:
    24-Jul: <Life Day>
    25-Jul:
    26-Jul:
    27-Jul:
    28-Jul:
    29-Jul:
    30-Jul:
    31-Jul: <Life Day>

36% of goal
    exercise.png

This morning was 72 degrees and 90% humidity (so actually cool and nice for a change!). Tried really hard to keep the pace slower.

Upcoming Races:
    13-Aug: Apple-a-Day 5K, Macon
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
  • 9voice9
    Our running group has been harassed a few times now though by a guy who drives a white Tesla. He doesn't like us running on the road -- even though some streets lack sidewalks and the roads aren't busy so cars have plenty of room to move over. This morning is the third run-in with him, and he honked at our group and tried to run us off the road. We finally have a license plate number now, so we're making a second police report. It's one thing to honk and yell, another thing to actually swerve toward human beings with a motor vehicle. Hopefully the police will take it seriously this time instead of shrugging it off and saying, "Well, nothing we can do!" like last time.
    If they don't, you might consider having someone videotape him and take him to court - attempted vehicular homicide, or similar. I don't know whether your district attorney will support the case, especially if the police won't, but it certainly passes along the message that you're serious.
  • 9voice9
    Got a XT question for the group: I'm running 6 days/week, ~35 miles/week. I have had 2 surgical repairs for the same inguinal hernia on the right side - so I'm very concerned about doing anything to disturb that (last repair was on 24-Feb of this year, so about 4 months ago).

I did machine circuit training on arms Saturday. I want to be balanced in my approach, but I'm really not sure 1) what exercises I SHOULD and CAN do for core and for legs that are not going to put the hernia repair in jeopardy and 2) if I CAN or SHOULD do any weights with those core/leg exercises.

Any suggestions y'all can make about a routine that would both strengthen my fitness and be aware of my limitation(s) would be most helpful.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    9voice9 wrote: »
    If they don't, you might consider having someone videotape him and take him to court - attempted vehicular homicide, or similar. I don't know whether your district attorney will support the case, especially if the police won't, but it certainly passes along the message that you're serious.

The aim is to get photo/video proof, it's just a matter of remembering to whip a phone out when so frazzled. But our group is huge and incensed about it, so we'll get him I'm sure!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Got in a second late night treadmill session to bring my weekly total to a more respectable number. Definitely not a fan of the Florida summer heat, but I'm sure I'll get outside once or twice this week. Back up north in 7 days.

7/2 - 9 miles
    7/4 - 1 mile
    7/5 - 7 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/8 - 3 miles
    7/9 - 5 miles
    7/10 - 11.5 miles

Total: 42.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 137.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    It's free slurpee day. At least it was the past few years on 7/11. I assume they are doing it again this year.

@kristinegift - that is terrible about the guy in the car harassing you all. It probably takes no more than 20 seconds to go around a group of runners (or bikers), yet a few people have to be jerks about it. In my cycling group we have many times had trucks pass us and do that thing where they make their truck shoot a big thing of exhaust. It's just mean! It happened on Saturday. And we aren't even taking up the road - we are on the bike lane going single file at that point!

@Elise4270 - I think the only times I tried a sling shot as a kid I ended up shooting it right back at me. I doubt my coordination has improved. But it sounds like fun! How much longer on the crutches?

@HonuNui - Happy Anniversary! 40 - wow!

Ran 5 miles this morning. It actually cooled down a tiny bit I think. Or maybe after being back home a week I got used to it. Always love my Monday run after two days of biking.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10- 35 mile bike ride
    7/11 - 5 miles

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited July 2016

It may also help if your entire running group (and any other runners in the community) sign a petition and provide it to the next town council meeting addressed to all the town council members and mayor. You can probably do the same county wide at the next county general freeholders meeting.

Cops and AG may not want to get involved, but when voters get together and threaten (especially with this political climate coming this November) I bet you will get more ears.

You can also write a letter to your State Senator and State Assemblyman. And the Star Ledger I bet would love to know what's going on. You can always write an editorial letter.
  • Stoshew71
    Got a XT question for the group: I'm running 6 days/week, ~35 miles/week. I have had 2 surgical repairs for the same inguinal hernia on the right side - so I'm very concerned about doing anything to disturb that (last repair was on 24-Feb of this year, so about 4 months ago).

I did machine circuit training on arms Saturday. I want to be balanced in my approach, but I'm really not sure 1) what exercises I SHOULD and CAN do for core and for legs that are not going to put the hernia repair in jeopardy and 2) if I CAN or SHOULD do any weights with those core/leg exercises.

Any suggestions y'all can make about a routine that would both strengthen my fitness and be aware of my limitation(s) would be most helpful.

You may want to go to a Sports Physical Therapist to get some ideas. There are lots of exercises for core and legs for runners, but when it comes to hernia or other special physical conditions, I would enlist a trained professional.

• Stoshew71
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 3.1 miles - 3.1
    7/2 14 miles - 17.1
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 9 miles - 26.1
    7/5 9 miles - 35.1
    7/5 6.2 miles - 41.3 << Daily Double
    7/6 6.2 miles - 47.5
    7/7 8.25 miles - 55.75
    7/7 5 miles - 60.75 << Daily Double, FF Pub Run
    7/8 13 miles - 73.75 << PPounders Swamp Run
    7/9 REST DAY
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 9.25 miles 83

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• Stoshew71
    @kristinegift Seeing your group in front of the Belmar boardwalk makes me want to cry. I miss the shore so much. LOL