WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Good morning ladies....well, the pot is still simmering here in Baton Rouge. Tension is palpable, and divided for the most part, right down the center of racial lines. :# and I just think everyone just needs to step back, PRAY, and let the justice system COMPLETE its investigation. Thanks for the prayers, please continue to think not just of Baton Rouge, but Dallas, Minnesota, and wherever else there is strife in this world.
    Got on the scale this morning....LOST 4lbs yippee!!!!! I do have a question though...If you eat a multi-ingredient dish, (I made lasagna yesterday), when logging it, should one in the data be used, or should each ingredient be logged individually?

You can enter the recipe in MFP. The recipe section is under the food section. You have to tell it how many servings it makes and MFP will figure the calories and nutritional information for you. It's a terrific tool.

Janetr okc
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    @pitaroyal

Hi Pita Maple Valley

Welcome, post often! Be sure to click on the pale star just above and to the right of the top post on this page to bookmark this thread.

Katie Yay for the clean colonoscopy! Lemon zucchini Greek yogurt? That sounds intriguing!
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Lisa Would Bermuda Grass work there? It goes everywhere, can be invasive, but you know it crowds everything else out and thrives in heat...

Joyce Indiana I am of the opinion that God doesn't care if you go to church or not. John Walton's church was nature and his mountain...people have personal ministries in their daily lives...I am agnostic but hopeful, myself. o:)
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Barbie- great picture!

Drkatiebug - yeah! Now you can eat again!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Karen in VA: Your childhood sounds fabulous! :flowerforyou:

Pitaroyal from Maple Valley, WA: Welcome to a great group! Several years ago we got our dog from a woman who lived in Maple Valley. He's a Keeshond, and a great guy. I have a warm spot in my heart for Maple Valley because of the dog and his breeder. Besides, it is a pretty place. :bigsmile:

Yoga today!

Katla in overcast NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
    morning peeps -

thanks for the happy bday wishes for Kirby, i'll let him know

ketonekaren - no cake bake for him, i'm a bad wife. i did get him a bike jersy that says "this guy needs a beer" and socks that say"i love beer" and he have a foamy beer mug on them :0)
  • KetoneKaren
    PIP Giggle...that doesn't sound like something a bad wife would do. That sounds like something a wonderful wacky wicked wife would do.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :star:
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Melanie I don't know about others but if I'm not using a recipe all ready logged I log each ingredient...like an omelet or tuna salad which I change depending on the day. If it's a dish I make frequently I log it in my recipes which saves time in the end. I say that because I tend to be very specific with brands & measurements so it takes time to log it in. Much easier if you can use an Internet address for a recipe...love how MFP uploads it.
    Off to run errands, clean frig & do some gardening...
    GLo on the Sunny North Shore of Ma
  • KetoneKaren
    Heather <3<3<3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,520 Member
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Debbie – Thinking of you and hoping your husband’s tests give you some answers.

Melanie – If you are making something like lasagna, you can use the recipe feature in MFP and save the recipe. Then you’ll have it for the next time you make the same dish.

OK, childhood continued… Summers were typically spent outside at the pool at our local country club. We wore SPF4 sunscreen if anything and ended the summer very tan. In high school, my friends and I would actually lather on baby oil and lay out in the sun. The stupid things we did that we would never let our kids do. When I was 10, I learned how to golf and we golfed once a week on “kids’ day”. The first time I ever golfed, I got 182 on nine holes. For those of you who may not be familiar with golf, a low score is the goal. LOL
    Each winter, we took a vacation out to ski at Winter Park, Colorado. My dad’s boss owned a cabin there and would let us use it for a week each year for free. Oh how I remember those drives with seven of us in the station wagon across all of Nebraska and half of Colorado. We would play the ABC game looking for each letter of the alphabet on billboards and we would look for license plates from different states. There were no electronic games and no DVD players in the car back then.
    We lived in the same house in Sioux City, IA from the time I was two until I was eighteen. Our neighbors were like family. We did not have extended family in Sioux City until my uncle and his family moved there when I was in middle school. My dad grew up in a little town about an hour and a half south of Sioux City and my mom grew up in an even littler town in central Iowa about three hours away. I had many cousins around my age, but we saw them only a few times a year. Oh but when we did get together, we had loads of fun. We would dress up in my mom’s and my aunt’s old formal dresses and put on a fashion show. (Even the boys would dress up.) And we would walk up to the general store each with a dime to buy a piece of candy.

OK, that’s enough for now. I’ve got to get some work done. Talk to you later…

Linda in IA
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Linda, my dad's first parish, in the early 50s, was in Sioux City. Before I was born. The Episcopal church.
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    to all I am back, not that I really left. I have been busy with groups of adult scholars, and up and coming NGO leaders from Africa and Turkey over the last month. Lots of people to welcome, bid farewell, pack up those leaving after 6 months, drive to airport, store stuff, and host events such as Iftars (dinners to break Ramadan fasts) and meetings. At this point, groups of scholars or students pass my name and tips on to the next bunch coming to the area. My home is a comfortable spot for people of all religions, races, and countries. They even ask if they can bring friends. I am never quite sure how many will show up for any given holiday, and we celebrate them all- Easter, Passover, Thanksgiving, or Eid, etc. My basement has become a temporary storage location and for UPS and Amazon deliveries. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you Heather for checking up on me. I have tried to skim, but could not completely keep up and post. Please know you are greatly loved by this community. You do so much for us. What can we do for you?

The bombing in Turkey was a real scare. I had just picked up a friend returned from Istanbul 2 days before and I do gp in and out of that airport all the time. I had a student scheduled to arrive in Istanbul at that time and was not sure of everyone else's whereabouts until the texts started arriving. The student who would have been in arrivals at that time had a ticket snafu and did not go as scheduled, Thank heavens
    A final event for another group of international scholars is tomorrow so I get a breather.

I was notified last week that a grant has come through, but budget cuts. No administration included. Travel only. I will also be responsible for a study and will write a book, due to publishers one year from now. It will not be a bestseller, so don't go looking in your local bookstore 18 months from now although you might find links to it on PLOS. (A textbook I did back in 85 has never gone out of print,although never a big seller, all 660 pages of formulas, graphs and citations.) To tell you how boring these books are, I gave my mother a copy of my first book with a dedication and she immediately handed it back to me saying she would not read it so why bother keeping it. I was extremely hurt at the time, but in retrospect, I guess I see her point.
    I also have a small grant for travel expenses to an international meeting this fall.

The events of the last three weeks have really thrown me. I feel as if we are living in the center of an Heironymous Bosch painting or German surrealist film from the 30s. I have been trying to analyze the extent to which immediate video or unfettered postings and commentaries on the Internet contribute to the world's collective anger borne from an overwhelming frustration to solve intractable, long-standing problems. Do you all remember, "the media is the message?" At the time, we scoffed at this. Unfortunately, today what is posted is not thoughtful distillation, but expediency.

On a happier note, my garden is flourishing. I will take a picture and post. I have not gained weight. I have been dealing with health and pain issues with Penny, it has not worked, and increased exercise and riding, which does help. Lots of tests and visits to various medical clinics. All the usual suspects have been ruled out.
    I went to a July 4 party and someone I have known for 30 years did not recognize me. Others commented on weight loss.
    Thank you all. Do know that my heart is with you.
    CJ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    CJ - I'm so happy to see you back posting! I really missed you and your "internationalism". :D<3 Sorry to hear about your health issues. It must be so frustrating not knowing what the problem is.

As you may see I am feeling much better. I needed a good dose of self discipline and self control and I am achieving both right now. I am happiest when in firm control of my self indulgent tendencies. I have put on two pounds since my cruise, when I didn't gain an ounce, so a firm "taking in hand" in that department was also called for. It's so much easier to eat well when I'm happy and being the kind of person I want to be.

Storms circling right now. Sudden thunderous downpours. They had to cancel a big airshow today as it was flooded out.

I do not vote for her party, but I do feel a little bit proud that we have a new, female Prime Minister. My lot are all "up the pole". :noway: :tired_face:

Love Heather in the disunited kingdom.