Too Much Cardio?

This last week I hit a plateau which I know was from eating poorly. I stayed within my calorie counts and did my exercises but my food choices sucked. I'm getting back on track with my food again and wanting back on my elliptical since I was supplementing my exercise as nightly walks instead.

I'm thinking of going for my nightly walks plus 30 minutes on my elliptical afterwards. Is there such a thing as too much cardio? I know eventually I will need to add strength training but for right now, I just want a big ol' post of weight loss before I jump on that wagon.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    If one isn't supplying enough calories and protein while doing cardio (causing lean muscle catabolism), then that would be too much cardio. If energy balance is enough and protein is enough, then do as much as you'd like.
    Realize though that weight loss is about calories in/out and one doesn't have to exercise to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Littlemissyfit
    Littlemissyfit Posts: 92 Member
    When I started with my weight loss, I ate healthy and only did cardio... Running mostly. I started with 20 minutes and moved up slowly. After 5 months, I added in circuit training with light weights. Also slowly moving to heavier weights. Start where you feel comfortable. I don't think theresca such thing as too much cardio. I run 60 minutes every day now. I lost almost 50lbs from aug-feb. And have kept it off. Good luck! You've got this!! It's a hard road, but so worth every drop of sweat!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Have a look at what some of us are doing in the way of cardio ... and feel free to join the challenge if you want. :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10418078/july-2016-walk-jog-bike-challenge#latest
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Congrats on getting back on it!

How long are your walks? Just a walk and 30 minutes on the elliptical isn't likely going to be too much of anything...it sounds pretty low-key, as long as you're eating enough to sustain yourself.

Also, if you have access I recommend finding a circuit training class or something that incorporates cardio and strength training. I do it once a week, while cutting, and it's just amazing to see the muscles I am growing WHILE cutting (half pound a week). I have toned in a way I didn't think possible, and the strength in my core and arms is both motivating and actually boosts my ability to do cardio.
  • DaniDoll57
    DaniDoll57 Posts: 72 Member
    Thanks for all of your insight! For the record, my walks are usually 45-60 minutes a night. Usually go at a reasonable pace. I try to eat 1400 calories a day (so I'm not under eating) and break it up into six small meals. I want to get into onederland before adding strength training. I'm about to get a promotion at work which will mean an increase of work hours and I am not a fan of classes (mostly because of cost and the fact that I'm anti social)

I've just heard a lot of people that say if you rely on cardio too much, you might start burning muscle instead of fat (or something along those lines).
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    I hate classes as well. For some reason, circuit training is my jam. I don't have to talk to anyone, because the music is loud and everyone else is focusing on what they're doing. I don't know anyone in the class after 5 months, and it's great that way.

I am not sure about the muscle/fat thing...sounds like some bro-science to me. If you don't eat enough to sustain yourself, your body will use more and more muscle for energy, for sure.

45-60 minutes walking is a nice low-key exercise! Unless you're walking straight up an 8% grade the whole time, I doubt it's too much, just keep your calories in good proportion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    DaniDoll57 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of your insight! For the record, my walks are usually 45-60 minutes a night. Usually go at a reasonable pace. I try to eat 1400 calories a day (so I'm not under eating) and break it up into six small meals. I want to get into onederland before adding strength training. I'm about to get a promotion at work which will mean an increase of work hours and I am not a fan of classes (mostly because of cost and the fact that I'm anti social)

I've just heard a lot of people that say if you rely on cardio too much, you might start burning muscle instead of fat (or something along those lines).

That would be a problem of diet and excessive calorie deficit - not the cardio itself.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    As others have said, frequent and lengthy cardio sessions at a steep deficit is where people talk of losing muscle mass.
    Also there is no reason you should be waiting to start strength training. You will be so much better off starting now.