Started eating 1300 calories, gaining weight?

I'm confused. I used to not count calories, I'd eat whatever I want. Bagels smothered in cream cheese for breakfast, pizza or some other unhealthy lunch, and way too much for dinner... I'm 5'6 173 is what I started at.... I know my habits were bad, so please don't degrade me, I'm starting to watch what I eat, and I walk my whole hour long lunch break... I've been using this app to track my calorie intake, and am eating things like plain oatmeal with organic pb for breakfast, a green apple for a snack with a few cashews, chicken and brown rice with salsa or tuna with celery and mustard on daves bread for lunch, some veggies for another snack, and then more chicken or fish with veggies for dinner... I'm only drinking water....
I went up to 179 :(
What's going on??

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you are eating significant portions of food, healthy or not, if it is more calories than you require then you will gain weight. Weighing your food in grams and checking the accuracy of your food entries, plus accurate accounting for exercise calories, will give you the greatest chance for success.
  • heathermclellen08
    heathermclellen08 Posts: 7 Member
    Thank you! Trying not to get discouraged. Definitely going to start working out more too...
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Hang in there. It's a process. It took me 2 years to make all the changes I have made to get where I am now. My first two decisions were to sign up here and get a Fitbit, and I tweaked accordingly from there.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Are you weighing all your food in grams and measuring liquids? If you're not, chances are you're eating more than you think. I'm 5'6" 158 lbs and I eat around 2000 calories a day and I lose weight.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Also you say that you're eating 1300 calories which should certainly cause weight loss for someone your height and weight, but how accurate is your calorie count? Are you weighing all your food on a scale or estimating portion sizes? Eating things like peanut butter and cashews when not weighed out (using measuring cups and spoons doesn't count) can lead to eating many more calories then you actually taking credit for in MFP
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    It would help if your diary was open...but here's my two cents.

If you just started exercising, you will see water retention to repair muscles. Also, we women are notorious for retaining water during our cycles, so that may be another culprit.

Be patient. Weight loss is not linear and it never goes as fast as we want it to.

Make sure you are using accurate entries in MFP and weigh everything with a food scale...most especially high calorie foods like peanut butter and nuts.

Most importantly: THERE ARE NO GOOD OR BAD FOODS. Seriously. Yes, eat your fruits and vegetables. But if you want a bagel with cream cheese or pizza or french fries or whatever...fit it in. Don't deprive yourself or you won't be able to stick with this long term.
  • heathermclellen08
    heathermclellen08 Posts: 7 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    Also you say that you're eating 1300 calories which should certainly cause weight loss for someone your height and weight, but how accurate is your calorie count? Are you weighing all your food on a scale or estimating portion sizes? Eating things like peanut butter and cashews when not weighed out (using measuring cups and spoons doesn't count) can lead to eating many more calories then you actually taking credit for in MFP

Good to know. I've just been using measuring cups and such... I'll go buy a scale! Thanks!