Help I can't seem to lose

I've been on 1200 calories for almost 3 months; some days I don't get to the 1200; I weight train 3 days a week and do cardio(walking) 2-3 days a week, so I've lost 3 pounds. I don't cheat, but just don't know what else to do to get this weight off? My thyroid is borderline low and my physician won't prescribe anything. Any and all suggestions please and thanks

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Do you measure everything you eat on a food scale?
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    shaynetim wrote: »
    I've been on 1200 calories for almost 3 months; some days I don't get to the 1200; I weight train 3 days a week and do cardio(walking) 2-3 days a week, so I've lost 3 pounds. I don't cheat, but just don't know what else to do to get this weight off? My thyroid is borderline low and my physician won't prescribe anything. Any and all suggestions please and thanks

Why won't you physician/doctor prescribe anything? Under-active thyroid is fairly serious*my sister has it). Make sure your getting your calories down, drink lots of water and/or tea. Liquids are good for filling you up while hydrating and feeding you. Feel free to add me if you want to chat. Oh while staying at calorie deficit you might end up getting low on iron and/or vitamin D. Protein is a meat/seafood/fake meat thing but cherries have lots of iron as does lots of fruit. Being low on these can also make depression a little more prominent.
    Funny while I was following my own advice I lost most of what I wanted to (20 out of 30kg) but since October last year I gained 10 back. I've experienced weight gain and loss so I know about feeling blech about it all.
    Again feel free to add and/or message and feel the love.
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    I second the food scale question. Also, how big a deficit does 1200 give you? I believe 1200 is the lowest MFP will go, which means if you're 4'8" or something you might need to go lower? I might be wrong though.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    shaynetim wrote: »

Why won't you physician/doctor prescribe anything? Under-active thyroid is fairly serious*my sister has it). Make sure your getting your calories down, drink lots of water and/or tea. Liquids are good for filling you up while hydrating and feeding you. Feel free to add me if you want to chat. Oh while staying at calorie deficit you might end up getting low on iron and/or vitamin D. Protein is a meat/seafood/fake meat thing but cherries have lots of iron as does lots of fruit. Being low on these can also make depression a little more prominent.
    Funny while I was following my own advice I lost most of what I wanted to (20 out of 30kg) but since October last year I gained 10 back. I've experienced weight gain and loss so I know about feeling blech about it all.
    Again feel free to add and/or message and feel the love.

You can be on the low side but not considered low enough for a prescription. There's actually a huge middle ground for what's considered 'normal' numbers
  • RAxB
    RAxB Posts: 120 Member
    I'm the same way. Borderline pretty much everything, but nothing a doctor will look at even though it takes me FOREVER to lose 1 pound (I'm 9 pounds down in 6 months, but still better than nothing!) And I also do not cheat, stay at 1200 and do cardio and weights.

The best advice I can give is try to look at the actual nutrients you are eating in addition to your calories. Make sure that even though you are at 1200 calories that you are still staying under your carb, sugar and sodium counts as those are my biggest triggers. MFP uses a somewhat standard count to start, but it helps to use that as a template and then figure out what works for you. Also, try adding one more day of cardio. When I upped my cardio I was able to get some off a BIT faster.

Good luck, and hopefully we can keep crawling along!