didjulyke your workout today? - checkin thread

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Getting settled in new apartment now so hope to get somewhat of a schedule going. I went to the gym after work. My hours are minimal right now, so have to go talk to the person managing the schedule as there was a slight issue from the transfer. I'm going to get a lifting schedule at least, though want to get a new gym in the future. Then figure out a peak cycle despite not being certain I'll get to compete in October. We'll see how it goes.

Just did some light lifting today.

Squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x5 @ 135

OHP - 1x8 @ 45, 3x5 @ 65
    front squat - 2x8 @ 65

good morning - 3x10 @ 75

Now eating veggies made in the pressure cooker. mmm
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Good day today. I made some chain/washer micro weights but they aren't heavy enough.

The ones I made are 0.5kg each. (1 pound) and the gym smallest plate is 2.5kg/5 pounds.

So I have a lot of room between 1 and 5 pounds. Not sure how to go about this. I would have to add another 8 washers probably on each side?

Each washer is only 100g

q7ifxhr7d5bw.png
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Hi guys! I'm still alive - just on holiday in Ireland right now.

I lifted on Monday while in Dublin but I am using an Irish phone while I'm here so I downloaded the app but it started me at the beginning. And all the weights were in KG so I was a bit confused.

I did workout B and got 5x5 for a 40kg squat and 5x5 for OHP with the bar.

My deadlift I pulled 2 reps for 55kg.

Jet lag and just pure holiday mode has made me a bit weaker.

I am currently in Kerry with no access to the gym but I get back to Dublin on Thursday. Hope to get back to lifting on Friday. And hopefully not eating and drinking everything in sight lol.

Have a good week!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Stronglifts Workout A

Squats- 1x5x55/65/75/85, 5x5x90
    BP- 1x5x55/65/75, 5x5x80
    BR- 5x5x85

Kettlebell Swing

Russian Kettlebell Swing- 22x10x30
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

GobletSquats- 3X10X35
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X 10 X 35

End of week one of increasing to 10 reps and 35 pounds. It is really heavy but no issue when swinging it.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    After a day of not much, well did laundry and we got both internet set up plus a fridge delivered to the new apartment. Just didn't do much in way of work or moving around, so I went to the gym. Meandering a little but will start peak cycle in the near future. Even if I don't get to compete, I can use it to work towards some PRs. Focused on legs today sorta.

Squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x5 @ 135 and 3x3 @ 145

Deadlift - 1x6 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185 and 2x3 @ 205

Probably should have brought in my belt for the deadlifts but oh well. Shins ached a little. Wasn't too bad though. Then I did 5 minute warm up, 20 minute jog and 5 minute cool down on the treadmill.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Oh boy, you can tell I've been out of kilter this last week or so - too much food, too much alcohol, and too little exercise.

Went to the gym this morning - tried to squat @ 75kgs but only managed 4 in the first set, and just about squeezed out 2 in the second set, so took 5kgs off and finished the 5x5 with 70kgs. Not good, but a wake up call.

Then did 5x5 rows @ 42.5kg
    5x5 Bench Press @ 40kgs

and ended with 10 x 13 kettlebell swings @ 20kgs

Tomorrow is another day.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2016
    Good day again. Am really enjoying the program and today the dead lift started to feel heavy. I could have easily done another set but am trying to stick to the program. I'm sure with 2-3 more increases I won't be able to even make the first set.

47bx39z7vyb6.png

onp6wxuv5p99.jpeg
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Hiking today. Been eating way too much these past few days but I'm on Holiday so I am not beating myself up for it.

Was going to lift today but I decided against it since I will be hiking in a few hours and I might be too exhausted for it.

The hike I'm going on is in county Wicklow which is 30 mins away from Dublin and it is called Sugar Loaf. Getting a few bottles of prosecco for when we reach the top.

Have a good one!
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Workout B

Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 50
    DL-1X5X 135

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing 19 X 10 X 30
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    SLA on Wednesday didn't go so well - didn't hit reps on any of the main lifts.

Today, SLB

SQ: 1x5x45/65/85/105, 5x5x115.
    OHP: 5/4/4/1/4x60
    DL:1x5x140 Yay, 70% body mass!
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    So it's been just over a month since I started my new 5 days a week split. I have been off this week as I came down with Strep (ugh!). But picking back up tomorrow on day 3. So far, I have been really enjoying the split. I can see changes in my arms, back, calves and quads. My husband says that everything seems to be shifting, as I have really not had any weight loss on the scale.

Last work out was Day 2 which is back, butt and abs
    Barbell Deadlift
    12@45pds
    10@45pds
    4@65pds
    1@85pds (I do romanian dls' for the warm ups, as the plates are too small for real dl's and i'm too lazy to prop them up)
    10@140pds Working set of deadlifts
    10@140pds
    10@140pds
    Barbell Squat
    10@140pds
    10@140pds
    10@140pds
    Barbell Row
    10@125pds
    10@125pds
    10@125pds
    One Armed Dumbbell Row
    10@25pds
    10@25pds
    10@25pds

Ab work
    3 sets of 10@ Captains Chair
    3 sets of 10 with 35 pds plate ab curls on the that ball thing (not sure what it is called)
    3@30secs plank (which I totally suck at!)

This is the roughest day. Kicks my behind, but I love it! Totally missing the gym this week and looking forward to hitting it tomorrow if hubbie gives the thumbs up. He is my rational voice :)
    Still trying to figure out weights and what I can lift. A lot of these moves are new and not sure how far I can push it with the weight, so trying to take it slow.

I did find moving from 5x5 to 3x10 in sets really hard for some reason. For the first couple of goes I was really tired at the end. I'll just keep plugging away and see how it goes.

Cheers!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2016
    tday and last day of deload week in the current cycle.

i did deloaded squats and bench: 45/50/55. went fine and i put mr t on notice that for the next cycle i want to repeat the last weights on the upper-body lifts. he 'commended' me for wanting this, so copacetic all round.

three eccentric pullups, some light waiter walks and another 8 turkish getups with a 5lb plate. nice to get a few form reminders from mr t too. haven't really done them for a couple of days and nice to feel like i've definitely gotten both stronger and more fluid since the very first set i did two weeks ago now. still seeing tgu as a keeper movement.
  • canadianlbs
    . . . however, my desk is on the second floor and the test lab's on the ground at this new job. no testing outside of the lab, so up and down all day long. the stairwells have nice wide shallow(ish) steps, so if no-one else is around i hold the laptop over my head, brace the core and do one-legged overhead 'squats' for five or six reps a side, who-knows-how-often per day.

two steps is just about perfect for below-parallel so i'm counting it. i'm also trying to use the bike rides for a certain amount of trap/back activation and core bracing stuff. sooner or later someone will tell me health-and-[*kitten*]-safety insist everyone take the steps 'one at a time' but i'm getting it while i can in the meantime.
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

GobletSquats- 3X5X 35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 16 X 10 X 35
  • kimiuzzell
    Did a kettlebell HIIT session this morning plus 2 abs circuits. Hope to use the squat rack tomorrow!!
  • canadianlbs
    i can't believe we're barely more than two weeks into july. i'm living in a different time frame these days.

did day 1 of 5's week. overdid it, of course. always happens if i get my butt in gear after lazing around all day long.

- deadlift 115/125/145, or something like that. definite 145 at the end but i just can't remember the right weights these days when i get into the gym. i accidentally did a real deadlift workout instead of the 10-15 light reps i had intended to do, because i can't brain. got 5 reps but didn't try for anything more. dissatisfied with my form, got it together in hindsight later, of course. sorry now that i didn't just stay at around 100 and do 10-15s of the more pure form, but ain't gonna go back there and do them now.

one thing of note with the deadlifts: gym has yet more even snazzier 'spacer' plates - that's what i call them anyway. the plastic ones that have the same size as 45's but are much lighter. the new things are SO visibly plastic i actually thought they'd diversified and found some that weighed nothing at all. as in: 'cool, they have 10lb trainer plates but if even 65 is more than someone new wants to pull, now they can still be the right mechanics and be pulling only the bar.'

except i actually looked at them when i was putting them away, and they're 10lbs too. the thing is, i was holding the bar with one hand and using barely the fingertips of my other hand to take these ones off and move them somewhere, and i still didn't register that they do have weight. they felt like hollow plastic to me. strong fingers are strong.

- squats adk, 75/85/95, i guess. couldn't remember the numbers for this one either so i just started with two sets at 45 and then added 10s until i was pretty sure i had hit whatever this week's requirements were. they were actually 65/80/90, now that i've come home and looked them up. fine with only getting 5 on this lift as well, given that.

extras:
    turkish getups with 3lb and then with 8lb kettlebell NOT just slung over my wrist. held by the handle with the base facing the ceiling. a little bit of row/pull work but not very authentically. 3x8 ohp with the bar, because i want as much form correction as i can give myself for the press. and waiter carries with one of those same 10lb plates not just over my head but actually balanced on my fingertips as if they were a tray.

so i feel great, but i'm going to suffer like crazy tomorrow. just remembered my own eat-something-that-grew-on-a-plant rule for after workouts, so off to try and break into an orange right now. think i'll use a screwdriver or something, i feel too weak to manage it all by myself.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm pretty new - hope it's ok to jump in here with an update. I started 5x5 on July 4. I've been consistent 3x/week so this was my 7th workout. I deloaded squats one day to work on my form, so today's workout was:

Squat: 2x5@45lbs, 5x5@65
    BR: 5x5@60
    BP: 5x5@55

Deadlift: 1x5@60
  • kimiuzzell
    Welcome aboard bmoremama!

I've worked out over the weekend but not done SL. Saturday I did a kettlebell HIIT session and yesterday I did a circuits class, some kettlebell stuff (swings and push presses mainly) - both days finished with some abs work.