Did you swim today?

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    4 mile wake up.
    Had the entire 8 lanes to myself for over an hour.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    2150y in 50 minutes. Tried bilateral breathing for the first time in probably eight months. Easily reached my chlorine macro for the day. Too much time out of the water lately so I'm going to try and jump in both days this weekend.

It may seem weird, but I miss swimming in the cold and dark months. The pool's quieter and the after-work schedule works better for me.

Very nice work, everyone!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Finished relocating. New gym is nicer, the pool is saltwater and isn't as cold as my old gym. Makes it easier getting in but after I'm at it for a bit I'm missing that cold cold water at my old gym.

20 laps yesterday, 40 minutes
    20 laps today, 30 minutes
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    nuffer wrote: »
    2150y in 50 minutes. Tried bilateral breathing for the first time in probably eight months. Easily reached my chlorine macro for the day. Too much time out of the water lately so I'm going to try and jump in both days this weekend.

It may seem weird, but I miss swimming in the cold and dark months. The pool's quieter and the after-work schedule works better for me.

Very nice work, everyone!

Non-swimmers have no appreciation of the Chlorine macro. Well done!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Horrendous traffic added over half an hour to my commute yesterday, but I still got 30 min in for laps. I was keeping track of time, not distance. I'm adding in the superman drill. I'm always surprised at how much better I swim after 10 laps of that. Maybe I need to warm up with it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Out of town for the week and the pool I would normally go to was hosting a Water Polo Tournament so they gave me the address of a near by pool. Not a good pool. Very old and it has a oval - bathtub style floor - sweeps up at the ends and corners. So the visual references are all distorted when you come into the wall. Attempted 4 flip turns and 0/4. All disasters. the deep end was really swept up and had a 12" standing ledge about 36" deep. Very dis-orienting. Also it seems to be more Family/Senior oriented so it was very warm. No idea what I did for distance as all my routines were out of sync and just lost track and then lost interest :( .
  • juliet3455
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    4 mile wake up.
    Had the entire 8 lanes to myself for over an hour.
    You Greedy kitten @fishgutzy .
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Swam at a meet today.

Not a bad outcome considering my training has been erratic to say the least.

Two PBs in the 100 back and 50 back (1.21.62 and 37.92 respectively) but off the pace for the 100 free and 200 back. And less than one second behind a former Olympian!

And I won the elimination 25m sprint event so our club got some good press!

But much work to be done in the next 12 weeks.....
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    @emmab0902 Well done! PB are something to be embraced and do a little dance! Or a big one. I don't have the courage to even think of entering a meet, perhaps next summer, we shall see.

Congrats again!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Great job @emmab0902 !!
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Jumped in to a pool that wasn't covered last night. Pretty cool to start but overall quite nice. Then sprint guy showed up in the next lane. He passed me on his first 50, then I caught him up and eventually put a couple of laps on him. PR for 800 and 1500 y. I know it's not "real" racing as we're both pretty slow, but I had a good time and a good swim. 2550y total in 56 minutes.

Great job everyone, and congrats to @emmab0902 for the PB times!
  • juliet3455
    @emmab0902 Blazing speed Miss E. B)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Swimming in sweat yesterday and today. Lots of yard work.
  • juliet3455
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Swimming in sweat yesterday and today. Lots of yard work.

@fishgutzy Sounds like my weekend. Tear down an old fence. 20 New Posts = 20 new Post Holes. Horizontal members and Fence Boards installed. No swimming - no running but lots of sweat exercise.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    First session of new training programme. Nearly killed me - haven't done any speed work all year and it was tough - even my cap disintegrated at the end lol.

2200m

200 warmup

2x
    2x 50 pull on 1.10
    2x 50 pull on 1.20
    1x 50 pull on 1.30
    Getting faster as interval increases.

100 easy

6x 50 fly with freestyle kick with fins
    6x 50 fly with fins

3x
    3x 50 max on 1.30
    1x 50 moderate

200 warmdown

Definitely showed up my loss of fitness - last year I would have managed the last set easily.

Oh well, the only way is up!
  • PulpFaction
    PulpFaction Posts: 15 Member
    Did my first swim after the cortisone shot in my shoulder. Only 1.25km which is about half of normal but it was nice just to get back in the water after 2 weeks. The main pool was busy with a lifesaving competition so it was back into the dive pool today. It was quiet though which was nice, I think a lot of people may have been put off by the lack of parking!

It does annoy me though how people can't stick to the "speed" suggestions in lanes. I get how tempting it must be if the fast lane is empty to just swim there, but its super frustrating when other people (i.e. me!) join later and end up lapping the person every 4 lengths :#
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Ik of my 'Fit at Fifty' routine - basically a sprints and IM mix... It doesn't come out often!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    60 minutes, 37 laps
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited July 2016
    The swim workshop was kind of amazing. Twice a day for two days, we got in the pool and did drills for an hour or so, then swam for half an hour to an hour, then went into a classroom to analyze videos of ourselves swimming...then back to the pool. I slept an extra four hours yesterday....I could sleep some more. It was intense mentally, as much as anything.
    It does annoy me though how people can't stick to the "speed" suggestions in lanes. I get how tempting it must be if the fast lane is empty to just swim there, but its super frustrating when other people (i.e. me!) join later and end up lapping the person every 4 lengths :#

That's annoying! Around here, when people use the "wrong" lane because it's empty, they go back to a more appropriate lane when someone else arrives.

• juliet3455
    @MightyLolo Glad you enjoyed the swim workshop. I had a really good year/winter at the pool as we had a core group of 5 who were in all the Lessons and the same Instructor which caused it to turn into Adult Swim club. Learned a lot and still working on technique items that they critiqued in a "Final Report Card". Looking forward to October when they start up again.

As to lane speeds and people using the wrong lane. This seems to be a universal problem. At our pool we self negotiate and usually don't go into circle mode unless there are 4 or more swimmers in the lane which helps prevent collision/conflicts. My rule is that if you are constantly being passed every 2-6 lengths then you are probably in the wrong lane. If you are being passed every 8 or more lengths then you are probably in the right lane.

Noon hour swim. 1km. 250m crawl, 250m breast, 250m back, 250m crawl.