New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi Paula @girlfighting50
    Welcome to the group!
    Great that you are already focused on your goals.
    Best thing for body recomposition is to start lifting! Along with all the other health benefits of course.
    We have free workouts on our website!
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/category/workouts/
    Have you done strength training before? There are so my programmes out there, so the em2wl.com website really simplifies it and has programmes for just starting out or if you have been lifting for a while.
    Its also a great resource for how much you should eat http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ and how to get started http://eatmore2weighless.com/faqs/
    If you need any other info or have any questions, please just ask!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • tinywonder25
    tinywonder25 Posts: 148 Member
    Hi Everyone! I've been on MFP for 5 months have lost about 17 lbs since Oct of 2015. This group has always intrigued me and so now that I'm with in 5-8 lbs of my goal I decided to join and see what it's all about. I'm just here to absorb(initially) and then hopefully start applying and seeing results! I know it's kind of silly but I would like to see my abs for once in my life...Call it part of my bucket list. Even if it's not sustainable, I want it to happen for one brief shining moment!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Paula, @girlfighting50 , as if getting older isn't enough, we lose strength, bone mass, lean mass, you name it. All that changes our metabolism and it does get harder to lose weight. The good thing is that when we fuel our bodies and start giving it the workouts it needs, everything changes! We are stuck in the thought that we need to eat low calories and do more cardio when the opposite is true and works much better. Less cardio, more resistance training and eating the right amount of calories (which is most cases is more). This approach is sustainable, enjoyable and brings results that last. It may take longer to get to the desired weight or size, but it lets you stay there for life. Time will pass anyway, so we better let it pass right (like Kelly said in another thread).

@tinywonder25, I am glad you decided to check EM2WL out! Take your time and observe. You will definitely see concepts and ideas that are completely different than what is around and the biggest difference is that the results you will achieve will stick for life, not just for a summer or an event. Wanting to see your abs is not a silly goal, is totally doable, but maybe you need to keep in mind that you will need to build them first (alongs with other muscles). More muscle=higher metabolism=fat loss. Less fat+more muscles=abs showing.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    @TerezaToledo Thanks for the encouragement. It's easy to succumb to the "quick fix" mentality. I know that it doesn't last, and that what I need is sustainable long term change to increase my strength and flexibility so that I can maintain my quality of life. Feeling better about how I look will be a nice bonus. :smiley: It's just hard to figure out how in a quick fix world with too many different points of view on how to get there. I'm not going to look any more, just focus on this and the long term goals. @tinywonder25 I'd like to see my abs again too!
  • tinywonder25
    Here are some of my progress photos. I just need to get to the next level now!
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Here are some of my progress photos. I just need to get to the next level now!

Welcome to the group! Glad you found us!

Im curious what you think the next level is? What are you hoping to achieve from here on out in your journey? Losing fat?, being a certain size? Strength related? Depending on what your next level is, will determine the path you need to take:)

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • tinywonder25
    Next level is more an definition. So I guess fat loss but I also want to get to a point where I gain muscle. I read here a while back that it's a good idea to go 5lbs below your idea weight so that when you start to gain you get to your goal weight with muscle and maybe a tiny bit of fat gain. So my goal weight is set 5 lbs below my idea and as of today I am 2 lbs from my idea weight and 7 lbs from my goal.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi Everyone! I've been on MFP for 5 months have lost about 17 lbs since Oct of 2015. This group has always intrigued me and so now that I'm with in 5-8 lbs of my goal I decided to join and see what it's all about. I'm just here to absorb(initially) and then hopefully start applying and seeing results! I know it's kind of silly but I would like to see my abs for once in my life...Call it part of my bucket list. Even if it's not sustainable, I want it to happen for one brief shining moment!

Hey! No need to apologise for wanting to see your abs! It's your goal. It's what motivates you gives you that extra push.
    Got to say you are already looking amazing! Totally see abs already, just look at those obliques!
    If you want more definition than you need strength training if you don't include that already?
    Have you had a chance to check out the website yet? www.em2wl.com
    There are loads of free workouts on there, plus periodised ones http://eatmore2weighless.com/shop/
    Strength training is also great for fat loss.
    Glad you are here in the group and hope we can help you reach your goals.
    I love this blog about stubborn fat loss;
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/stubborn-fat-loss-tactics-the-ugly-truth/
    Just ask if you need anything!
    Ichel
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Next level is more an definition. So I guess fat loss but I also want to get to a point where I gain muscle. I read here a while back that it's a good idea to go 5lbs below your idea weight so that when you start to gain you get to your goal weight with muscle and maybe a tiny bit of fat gain. So my goal weight is set 5 lbs below my idea and as of today I am 2 lbs from my idea weight and 7 lbs from my goal.

Fat loss and Muscle gain are two different goals. Unfortunately you cannot do them at the same time as they require two very different methods of eating and exercising.
    First off, Muscle gain. To gain muscle, your body needs to eat in a surplus, which means eating ABOVE your TDEE. This is called a Bulk phase. By adding more calories to your diet, above your maintenance, and working the muscles in the right way to enhance muscle growth, the muscles can build slowly ans add more size. This however, is a very slow process and for women can be long and hard because your chemistry does not make for easy muscle gains.
    Gaining muscle also means not relying on what a scale says. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, which means you can look a LOT leaner with more muscle, but the scale will be heavier. I dont recall seeing anything within our forum saying to go below a certain weight so you gain it back as muscle. We dont recommend that. EM2WL believes in not being a slave to a number on a scale and that for a lot of us, that number might be 5-10-30 pounds heavier than we thought it should be but still look fabulous.
    there are some blog posts on our site talking about the benefits of bulking when it comes to muscle building
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-benefits-of-bulking/
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-gain-while-building-muscle/

Is there any particular reason you have a certain number pegged as your "goal"?

For fat loss, there is a big difference between losing fat, and losing WEIGHT. They are not the same thing. Weight is just a number and it does not mean when the scale drops 5 pounds, it means you lost 5 pounds of fat. More often than not, that weight loss is muscle, something you dont want to lose. So if you want to gain muscle or lose fat, I wouldnt wait to hit a magical "goal" number to begin doing that.

Here is a good blog post on weight loss vs fat loss
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-vs-fat-loss/

Hope these help you a bit.

Kelly
  • tinywonder25
    I'm lifting twice a week and before that did body weight ( planks and the like) to try try to maintain muscle as well as cardio hiit/stairs/Zumba . Not tied to a number necessarily but it's one way of setting goals. I'm not sure which I need at this point. That's why I posted photos of where I'm at. I assume since I can't see as much ab definition I need a little more fat loss. Could be 2 lbs 5 lbs.. Or maybe none Have no idea!
  • TerezaToledo
    @tinywonder25 Kelly is 100% on point. Figure models and bodybuilders go through many bulk/cut cycles to get the physique they want, they build muscle (therefore gaining some weight and some fat) and then cut, trying to lose the most fat possible while keeping the most muscle. I can tell you lost weight and are showing more muscle than before. You abs are showing definition and you glutes are more pronouced.
    If you only focus on losing weigth, you may end a skinnier version of yourself, while if you focus on building muscle you will see a different, stronger, leaner, tighter version of yourself. When I was focusing most on cardio (I was in love with Zumba and running) and cut strenght training to twice a week, I lost some weigth but did not like round flat my behind looked and hiw I couldn't see muscle definitin. Once I switched the focus, things started changing towards the way I wanted. It took time and I'm still working on it, but the curves are way more pronounced now. I have no clue what the scal says, but I'm sure that I weigh more than my old ultimate goal, just because muscle is heavier than fat. The good thing of having more muscle and weighting more because of it, besides the looks, is that I can and need to eat more to preserve. That's a win-win for me!
  • tinywonder25
    3k9qd5pdrr5c.png

This is where I got the five lbs under thing.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Yes you could go for 5 pounds under. I think a healthier way would be to get your body the way you like it and then not care about the exact number.
  • gillianrose1
    gillianrose1 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone :smile: living in BK, NY. I've gained 50 pounds in the last two years and now I NEED to let it go. I figured out my calorie target is 2500 to maintain and 2100 to lose. I'm really struggling to hit that target, and especially struggling on a daily basis to get enough protein in. A few years ago a nurse friend of mine told me that most Americans get too much protein, so I never thought I needed to worry about it, however now that I'm counting macros I realize I'm only getting half (if that) of my target of 30%. Another thing, I don't really struggle with eating too much, I struggle with not eating regularly. I've always had this issue since I was a teenager. So I've joined this group in hopes of some added accountability. Right now my number one goal is to hit 3 meals a day with 30% protein, then once I can consistently do that I'll work towards my 2100 calorie goal. I've started drinking a 640 calorie protein shake for breakfast so I'm hoping that helps, but even with the added protein this shake is still on 21% protein, 42% carbs, and 37% fat.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to getting to know you all better.
  • Joponder1972
    Joponder1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi I'm Piney this is my first time with a goal of 1600 cal per day. Since I've been doing this I've lost 2 inches off my hips,2 of my chest,3 off ,my waist.Altogether that's 1 pound I'm happy,because this have helped me so much.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Hi everyone :smile: living in BK, NY. I've gained 50 pounds in the last two years and now I NEED to let it go. I figured out my calorie target is 2500 to maintain and 2100 to lose. I'm really struggling to hit that target, and especially struggling on a daily basis to get enough protein in. A few years ago a nurse friend of mine told me that most Americans get too much protein, so I never thought I needed to worry about it, however now that I'm counting macros I realize I'm only getting half (if that) of my target of 30%. Another thing, I don't really struggle with eating too much, I struggle with not eating regularly. I've always had this issue since I was a teenager. So I've joined this group in hopes of some added accountability. Right now my number one goal is to hit 3 meals a day with 30% protein, then once I can consistently do that I'll work towards my 2100 calorie goal. I've started drinking a 640 calorie protein shake for breakfast so I'm hoping that helps, but even with the added protein this shake is still on 21% protein, 42% carbs, and 37% fat.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Welcome @gillianrose1 !

What is your current calorie intake? What is your dieting history? And have you.read the metabolism reset guide at em2wl.com?

http://eatmore2weighless.com/the-metabolism-reset-guide/

Answering these questions will help us help you.
  • TerezaToledo
    @gillianrose1 Welcome and yes, even though the american diet seems to have a lot of protein, we end loading up on carbs and fats, lowering our protein percentage. Work on increasing your calories and keep them steady. The idea of being consistent with your three meals and 30% protein at each one of them is excellent!
    Have you checked out the EM2WL free quick start guide? http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=DM&utm_campaign=quick start

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    Hello Piney, welcome, @Joponder1972 , if you are coming from a very low calorie diet, 1600 is a good way to start increasing calories. I remember when I was eating at 1600 (1000 cals less than what I aim for today) that I felt it wasn't enough. Yeah, the scale moved in the beginning, but eventually it stopped and I felt like eating the walls. Once I realized that there was no way I could spend another day eating like that, let alone spend my whole life, I had to increase. I am truly glad I did. Not only I am closer to my goal size and shape than I have ever been, but I also feel energized, strong and able to crush my workouts.
  • TerezaToledo
    @tinywonder25 Honestly, I don't think that dropping 5 lbs below your goal just so you can stay at your goal weight makes any sense, unless for someone who is a competitor and needs to make weight by a certain date to fit in a certain weight category. The scale reading is just that, a reading, a measurement. It does not guarantee that someone will look a certain way. Someone could lose a limb and become instantly lighter. What matters to look leaner and more toned is the body fat/lean mass percentage. The more muscle you have and the least fat you have, the more ripped you will look. I understand the high that we can get from seeing the scale go down, but honestly, we should not rely on that to be happy and enjoy ourselves and our lives.
    This is why we need patience in this process:http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL