07/14- 10km
    07/15- Rest Day
    07/16- 11km
    07/17- 10.1km

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It's the downhills that hurt. In the words of a local race director, "The uphill segments may break the souls of a few new runners, but it's the downhills that turn your body into ground beef. (Ground tofu for the vegetarians.)"

My PT explains that that running uphill, the muscles work in an eccentric fashion, while downhill they work concentric. The concentric effort is much harder, and not so much what the muscles are good at.

I was literally thinking about this on my run today! I have severe overpronation on both sides so I have to really mind how I come down on declines as they are much harder on my knees. I'll push through all the inclines before I'll take a steep decline to avoid a cap subluxation :/
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Missed running this morning due to...bodily issues....Now my body is craving a run, but family is all awake, so no run now!

....I'm half tempted to run tomorrow, to start doing a 6 runs/week schedule, Rest days are always so hard for me, and I figure an Extra Easy run (I'm running 5 days a week now) might not be a bad thing in this run up to my next HM......I hate the stir crazy when I miss a run.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Missed running this morning due to...bodily issues....Now my body is craving a run, but family is all awake, so no run now!

....I'm half tempted to run tomorrow, to start doing a 6 runs/week schedule, Rest days are always so hard for me, and I figure an Extra Easy run (I'm running 5 days a week now) might not be a bad thing in this run up to my next HM......I hate the stir crazy when I miss a run.

I feel this huge @MNLittleFinn missing run days is the worst :( . I hope you get out tomorrow!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Was able to scrape out 4.1 miles this afternoon. The last mile required a couple of walk breaks, but damnit, I got myself to 4 miles. SO MANY PEOPLE out playing Pokemon Go on the Prairie Path, it's ridiculous.

I have been thoroughly blessed so far with the weather; it hasn't been super hot hardly at all. That's supposed to change next week, though, so I'm glad I'm able to get these miles in now.

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Oh... and I found myself seriously craving an Arnold Palmer after my run today.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    1ittgj94yupc.jpg
    Love those!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @juliet3455 love them!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    July running challenge: goal is 60 miles.

7/5...4 miles
    7/7...3.66 miles (rolling hills program on the treadmill)--11:06 pace.
    7/8...10 miles
    7/10...6 miles
    total of 23.66 miles for the month of Jul

7/12....4.15 miles (rolling hills on the treadmill)--12:14 pace....exhausted after working all night and only 5 hours sleep. Still happy that I was able to run. Was distracted by getting a free phone in the mail...so too late to run outside.
    Total for July thus far...27.83.

7/15....5.08 miles(rolling hills program on the treadmill) at 12:00 pace. I wanted to run a little faster, approximately 11:06 pace again, but "fried" after working 2 nights in a row and getting very little sleep. My plan is to run a long run today, probably 10 miles.
    I slept 10 hours last night and feel great and I lost almost a pound over night. I am in maintenance now (for a month) but still closely monitoring the weight gain/loss. One of my mfp friends lost the weight quickly ( he was ona 1200 calorie diet) and gained 40 pounds back the next year.

Total for the month of July...32.91.

7/16 ....6 miles(fartleks)....that was a fun run! Cool weather...I started too late to run the 10 miles that I planned..so opted to run 6 today and then try for 10 tomorrow.I did almost get hit by a "smart" car at an intersection. It was funny...I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and sized up whether it would damage me more than I would damage it if we collided. On Monday, I plan to rest. New total is 38.91.

Thanks to Elise4270, Stowshew71, and AdriaChr92 for answering my questions. I will google Authur Lydiard...always interested in unorthodox training methods.

@MobyCarp: Very impressed with your race results, esp. being number 1 in your age bracket. If I race long enough, I may break into the top 100 finishers. Such an accomplishment to be number 1. I love the curved glass trophy...super cool.

Just finished running 10 miles today...it was harder than last time, maybe because I ran 6 miles yesterday and 5 the previous day. I tried to stay at 85-87% max heart rate...after 5 miles, I could really feel the soreness kick in. I was expecting rubbery legs, not soreness. It was really hot today with occasional cool headwind. I wanted to quit but kept repeating, "stronger, fitter, faster" as a kind of mantra. I slowed significantly the last 3 miles, probably 14 minute and 15 min miles. Afterward, soaked with sweat. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow.

Total for the month is 37.83.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ Bravo for getting up your mountain! That's lovely. I know how happy I was getting round "my" lake the first time. Just love how running makes us set ourselves goals then go out and smash them. :heart:

@shanaber Hahaha, yep, I've had that happen with MapMyWalk! (Forgetting to turn it off then getting mega stats for driving in a car.) I think the Fitbit app also goes mad with steps if you open it while in a car.

2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece
    3 July – 10 km
    5 July – 10 km
    7 July – 10 km
    8 July – 5.6 km & Body Balance
    9 July – 13.6 km & 10 km PB
    11 July – 10 km
    15 July – 3.7 km
    16 July – 5.1 km parkrun
    18 July – 9.1 km

July Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 81.8 km

Did a longer run today since my back was feeling fine for the shorter runs on the weekend. So happy!

But I must not go mad and won't try to catch up. I'll stick to my 4 runs a week, and have a day off tomorrow.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    July 2nd - 8.5km (6:37 min/km... 162bpm)
    July 3rd - 3km (5:23min/km...180bpm)

July 4th - .5km (actually 5x110m sprint, then walk back: fastest 3:11pace, slowest 3:25pace)
    July 6th - 4.5km (6:38min/km... 160bpm)
    July 7th - 8.5km (6:40 pace, 172bpm) Back at my hometown - along the ridge rd (Hilly)
    July 9th - 5km Parkrun (watch said 4.92; course is different: 5:18 pace, 181bpm)

July 15th - 22km (6:54 pace, 166bpm)

Ah, yeah, oops, was sick, then lazy, then I felt fresh so I thought I'd do 10km instead of the 9 I planned... so I set off about lunchtime, without shoes, without having had any water all day.... and I felt good so I thought maybe I'd aim for 12km (equal longest run) and after 10km I realised the loop I started on was longer than I thought; decided on 15km or to the next water (and thought about doing 21km)... drank out of a puddle (camped way out it the bush... it was a clean looking puddle). Got back to the hut we were camping at after 20.4km and kept going a little past there.

Seriously ill considered. Thought I might have done something seriously nasty to my right foot, internally (lateral midfoot - sharp pain when going from heel through to forefoot during walking... walked on my toes a lot). Its coming good today and I can walk and run comfortably (but still a small ache).
    I will take my time and build up a better base before I try that again.
    Very impressed I could do that though!
    Garmin said my new half marathon time is 2:26:? (and some seconds).

52/100km
  • MNLittleFinn
    7/1- REST
    7/2- REST
    7/3- REST
    7/4- 13.1 RW&B HM 2:15:26
    7/5- REST
    7/6- REST
    7/7- REST
    7/8- REST
    7/9- 5.0
    7/9- 1.0
    7/10- 4.23
    7/11-REST
    7/12- 6.01
    7/13- 4.04
    7/14- 2.01
    7/14- 5.0
    7/15- REST
    7/16-9.06
    7/17- REST
    7/18- 4.03

July Mile goal: 53.62/70
    Actual goal: Run the Red White and Boom HM well, recover well, run the Park Point 5 Mile (7/14,not racing) well and begin training for September Boundary Waters Bank HM.

Today's Notes: 4.03 miles at 9:40 pace. This was a nice easy out and back route out of town that is basically flat/slightly uphill for the first mile, then rolling hills out to the turn around at mile 2 and the reverse of that for mile 3, and then 4 is the reverse of mile 1. Today's run felt really good, my breathing, even at a pace that's a bunch (0:30/mile) than I used to do, was in my E range, which means a 4 count in and out, using my footfalls to keep time.

My runs (all 7 of them) have been a bunch faster than I did before my HM. I don't know if it's that my recovery allowed me to now fully realize the gains I made in training or what, but after setting 2 PR's at my race on Thursday, and faster training runs seeming easier,I'm starting to feel pretty good about how I can do at my September HM.

Only downside of the run is the nice red mark where my HRM rubbed and drew blood. Still trying how to figure out a fix for that. It's one tiny spot in the middle of my chest....things to ponder....
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    7/1 - 11.5 - Easy
    7/2 - 5.86 - Recovery
    7/3 - 18.11 - Long Run
    7/4 - 2.0 - Strength Training Warmup
    7/5 - 9.0 - Tempo
    7/6 - 14.07 - Easy
    7/7 - 5.14 - Recovery
    7/8 - 12.1 - Easy W/ Strides
    7/9 - 5.1 - Recovery
    7/10 - 20.0 - Long Run
    7-11 - Rest
    7/12 - 8.01 - Tempo
    7/13 - 12.47 - Easy
    7/14 - 5.0 - Recovery
    7/15 - 12.6 - Easy
    7/16 - 6.2 - Recovery
    7/17 - 16.0 - Long Run

Total 163.16 of 289

Busy weekend so didn't get to log these until today. Saturday was an easy recovery run, then Sunday was my weekly long run. Schedule actually only called for 14 but with today as a rest day i wanted to try a new hydration/fueling combo on 4 mile loops. After the first loop i really thought the run was a bust, pace was off, focus was off, pretty much everything about the run sucked. Nearly packed it in but went ahead and continued on thinking i'd be lucky to get this to 10 and not 16. The 2nd loop was a little better and thought 12 would be good, then the 3rd was even better and pace and stride was back to normal so I just went ahead and finished the 16. Taking in 100 calories every 4 miles with 20 oz of water really seemed to help with my cardiac drift/dehydration i'd been experiencing. Spent 60% of my time in z2 and 40% in lower z3 mainly on the 2 mile out portion of the run that is uphill. Weekly mileage was 60.28 on this recovery/stepback week. The next 2 weeks will probably push towards 70 with back to back 20/21 mile long runs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    @5512bf that's some awesome running!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    7/1- REST
    7/2- REST
    7/3- REST
    7/4- 13.1 RW&B HM 2:15:26
    7/5- REST
    7/6- REST
    7/7- REST
    7/8- REST
    7/9- 5.0
    7/9- 1.0
    7/10- 4.23
    7/11-REST
    7/12- 6.01
    7/13- 4.04
    7/14- 2.01
    7/14- 5.0
    7/15- REST
    7/16-9.06
    7/17- REST
    7/18- 4.03

July Mile goal: 53.62/70
    Actual goal: Run the Red White and Boom HM well, recover well, run the Park Point 5 Mile (7/14,not racing) well and begin training for September Boundary Waters Bank HM.

Today's Notes: 4.03 miles at 9:40 pace. This was a nice easy out and back route out of town that is basically flat/slightly uphill for the first mile, then rolling hills out to the turn around at mile 2 and the reverse of that for mile 3, and then 4 is the reverse of mile 1. Today's run felt really good, my breathing, even at a pace that's a bunch (0:30/mile) than I used to do, was in my E range, which means a 4 count in and out, using my footfalls to keep time.

My runs (all 7 of them) have been a bunch faster than I did before my HM. I don't know if it's that my recovery allowed me to now fully realize the gains I made in training or what, but after setting 2 PR's at my race on Thursday, and faster training runs seeming easier,I'm starting to feel pretty good about how I can do at my September HM.

Only downside of the run is the nice red mark where my HRM rubbed and drew blood. Still trying how to figure out a fix for that. It's one tiny spot in the middle of my chest....things to ponder....

It's normal for your paces to get faster in the first 5 or 10 years you run, as you get fitter and your body adapts to running more efficiently. The half I ran Saturday with a goal of just feeling good was faster than my first half, where I was deliberately trying to finish as fast as possible.

The HRM rubbing the chest to a point of rawness happened to me the first time when I ran Buffalo 2015 and was wearing the strap for I don't know how long, but at least 8 hours. First thing I tried was putting petroleum jelly under it. Other runners advised using Body Glide, but I choke on the cost. Then someone here suggested cheap stick deodorant as a substitute for Body Glide. Well, I use a stick deodorant. Tried it on my chest instead of the petroleum jelly, and it did the trick without gunking up the HRM strap. Made it through Boston with no irritation on my chest from the HRM. And since it's the same deodorant I use on my underarms, and I'm running up a substantial sweat anyway, I doubt anyone notices the difference.

Yesterday I tried the deodorant on my feet instead of the petroleum jelly I've been using for years. It seemed to work well enough, and I doubt a little deodorant in my shoes will make things any worse; if anything, it may be a minor, totally insufficient help for shoes that see 90º F running conditions. So I tentatively think I have a lubricant winner here, at somewhere less than 10% of the cost of Body Glide.