New To EM2WL? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    @tinywonder25 Listen to @TerezaToledo. She said it better than I could. Weight is just a number. I dont think dropping an additional 5 pounds just to gain it back in muscle makes sense unless you are a bodybuilder. What ends up happening a lot of the time is we end up chasing that "final 5 pounds" and spin our wheels, cut our calories and do everything possible to try and lose it, when in reality our "weight" was just fine and we needed to have a drop in fat loss. By just working on gaining muscle now and not when we lose an additional 5 pounds will be more beneficial in your long term.
    Hope this helps

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • Raynn1
    Hi everyone :smile: living in BK, NY. I've gained 50 pounds in the last two years and now I NEED to let it go. I figured out my calorie target is 2500 to maintain and 2100 to lose. I'm really struggling to hit that target, and especially struggling on a daily basis to get enough protein in. A few years ago a nurse friend of mine told me that most Americans get too much protein, so I never thought I needed to worry about it, however now that I'm counting macros I realize I'm only getting half (if that) of my target of 30%. Another thing, I don't really struggle with eating too much, I struggle with not eating regularly. I've always had this issue since I was a teenager. So I've joined this group in hopes of some added accountability. Right now my number one goal is to hit 3 meals a day with 30% protein, then once I can consistently do that I'll work towards my 2100 calorie goal. I've started drinking a 640 calorie protein shake for breakfast so I'm hoping that helps, but even with the added protein this shake is still on 21% protein, 42% carbs, and 37% fat.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Interesting thought on the protein. Ive actually heard the opposite, and that most North Americans do not get enough protein in their diet. I know when I started looking at the numbers, My protein levels were horribly low.
    Starting off with eating regularly is a good place to begin, especially if you are all over the place with your meals. Set your watch/timer so when it beeps you know its time to eat. Work on being consistent and making sure protein is the focus of your meals. The shake for breakfast is a good way to get in cals.. Try looking for a protein powder that has more grams per scoop. There are a ton of options out there for powders. If you have a costco membership, they sell a Kaizen Whey protein in both vanilla and chocolate which I use all the time. It has 35G per scoop.
    Try making your shakes with yogurt/greek yogurt as a way to boost protein as well.
    Can you tell me whats in the shake? The fat seems really high for it.

Small steps lead to big changes. You are doing awesome:)
    Kelly
  • xLizzyTx
    xLizzyTx Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I'm Liz. I'm 5'2'' and weigh 172lbs. I'm not sure where I am going wrong as the weight just won't shift. I either lose 1/2 - 1lb then the next week put back on. Been like this for over a year.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Hello Liz,welcome! How much have you been eating? Are you close to your TDEE or are you eating at a big deficit? What's you dieting history? What kind of workouts have you been doing? If the scale hasn't changed. much, are you seeing changes not related to the scale?

Tereza
    TeEM2WL
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Hi @gillianrose1 It is often said in mainstream media that people eat too much protein, but having an active lifestyle and trying to hit 30% I found I was eating way too little.
    This is a good article that I shared on my facebook page last week.
    https://www.facebook.com/GirlsGoneStrong/posts/1011933812217254
    Hope that will help.
    Ichel
  • empressichel
    Hi @xLizzyTx Welcome to the group!
    Have you had a look at our online calculator to see if you are eating the right amount of calories for your lifestyle?
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Plus, here is a great blog post and diet plateaus;
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/workout-or-diet-plateau/
    Let us know if you need anything else.
    Ichel
  • empressichel
    Hi @Joponder1972 That is great that you have increased your calories and are seeing results. Well done!
    Have you put all of your info in here http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/ to see the what the calorie goal to aim for is?
    I have no idea what your stats are! Just so pleased that eating more is losing inches and making you feel good!
    Ichel
  • gillianrose1
    gillianrose1 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a HUGGEEE problem with skipping meals and then binging later because I'm so hungry. Obviously this is a problem. I've bought the em2lw guide and I'm working through it. As for my calorie intake, I have no idea what it actually. I've started drinking a shake in the morning it's slim fast, but I do 2 servings with whole milk and 4 T of protein powder added. Yesterday I bought Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Powder, Creamy Chocolate Fudge, 2.03 Pound and Amazing Grass Chocolate Drink Powder, Green Superfood, 8.5-Ounce Container online (they should be here by Tuesday) because I hadn't seen the reply with the suggestion of a different protein powder. My boyfriend and I eat out all the time so it's hard to count calories. I'm trying to cook more at home at least until I get used to eating regularly. The problem comes in again with me skipping meals... last night I skipped dinner, then I didn't have breakfast and I was tired and moody and then realized that it was because I hadn't eaten so I made myself a shake. Is it a horrible idea to have multiple shakes a day? I don't know why I'm not eating, I don't consider myself to have an eating disorder but as I write this it does seem that something is up so I need to find meals that are easy to make and easy to consume. I realize that this is probably really strange, but sometimes I'm not up for the whole eating experience... I love salads for example, but it's such a process to eat them. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for reading this all <3
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    @Nhizarms here is the intro link
  • girlfighting50
    girlfighting50 Posts: 24 Member
    @TerezaToledo @empressichel Hi again, it's been a few days since I posted anything - just trying to read and understand everything I can find here. My update is that I added 100 cals/day last week and am upping another 100/day this week for a total of 1450. I know it isn't very high but I'm trying to increase closer to my TDEE slowly. Here's the thing - while increasing my calories, and having a couple of days of going out and just enjoying my meals (Melting Pot anyone??), I've lost a little weight. That's more than I could say for my few weeks of low-calorie dieting and I'm not even trying to lose right now. I started the beginner three-day workout that I found on the EM2WL site last week, with gentle yoga on the off days to help with the soreness. I feel great and can actually feel more energy even if I'm just out walking the dog in the morning. Can't wait to see how this goes as I progress with my calories and workouts!
  • kimkimwu3
    kimkimwu3 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi, I'm Kim. I'm 5'10'' and weigh 230lbs aiming to be around 150. Looking forward to making some positive changes
  • TerezaToledo
    @girlfighting50 It's hard not to wonder what kind of sorcery is that, right?! You are eating more than when you were dieting and seeing better results. Wowza! Isn't that amazing?! But even though you saw improvement on the scale, nothing beats feeling better and having more energy. Great job on increasing slowly and adding strength training to your workouts! Keep us posted on how things progress!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • TerezaToledo
    Welcome @kimkimwu3 ! Take it slowly, make sure you read our free quick start guide http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/get-your-quick-start-guide/?utm_source=mfp&amp;utm_medium=DM&amp;utm_campaign=quick start

Feel free to ask questions and send us friend requests!
    Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    @TerezaToledo @empressichel Hi again, it's been a few days since I posted anything - just trying to read and understand everything I can find here. My update is that I added 100 cals/day last week and am upping another 100/day this week for a total of 1450. I know it isn't very high but I'm trying to increase closer to my TDEE slowly. Here's the thing - while increasing my calories, and having a couple of days of going out and just enjoying my meals (Melting Pot anyone??), I've lost a little weight. That's more than I could say for my few weeks of low-calorie dieting and I'm not even trying to lose right now. I started the beginner three-day workout that I found on the EM2WL site last week, with gentle yoga on the off days to help with the soreness. I feel great and can actually feel more energy even if I'm just out walking the dog in the morning. Can't wait to see how this goes as I progress with my calories and workouts!

Totally awesome news! You lost weight when you upped your cals?? What what????!!
    Keep at it and work on getting up to your TDEE. Your body is already thanking you for the increased cals by giving you more energy!
    Awesome awesome update!

Kelly
  • empressichel
    @girlfighting50 Isn't that incredible? And don't feel you have to say that your calories aren't very much. Everything in this lifestyle is relative. You are eating MORE than you were and already seeing and feeling results! You are doing it the right way by increasing slowly. LOVE how you have more energy already!
    Only compare your results with your results. Don't feel like you have to apologies for not eating/ lifting as much as others.
    You are making tremendous progress. This is the only thing you need to focus on, YOU!
    Congratulations! You are doing great! Keep going and please keep the updates coming.
    Ichel
  • girlfighting50
    Raynn1 wrote: »

Totally awesome news! You lost weight when you upped your cals?? What what????!!
    Keep at it and work on getting up to your TDEE. Your body is already thanking you for the increased cals by giving you more energy!
    Awesome awesome update!

Kelly

I know, I was stunned. It wasn't much but the trend has been mostly up lately so to have it move downward was a surprise since I'm eating more. I'm also trying not to weigh myself more than once a week. :smiley: It's kind of a hard habit to break but I think it's better for me. I'm focusing on getting more protein and calories and staying consistent with my workouts. That's enough for now. Thanks for the encouragement!
  • girlfighting50
    @girlfighting50 Isn't that incredible? And don't feel you have to say that your calories aren't very much. Everything in this lifestyle is relative. You are eating MORE than you were and already seeing and feeling results! You are doing it the right way by increasing slowly. LOVE how you have more energy already!
    Only compare your results with your results. Don't feel like you have to apologies for not eating/ lifting as much as others.
    You are making tremendous progress. This is the only thing you need to focus on, YOU!
    Congratulations! You are doing great! Keep going and please keep the updates coming.
    Ichel

Thanks! I'm finding this challenging and fun and surprising. The challenge is wrapping my head around eating more calories but the more I read the more it makes sense. The fun is lifting weights, which I've always enjoyed but have not done much in recent years due to my shoulder and hip problems (hopefully those will stay fixed). The surprise is that I'm already feeling more energetic and enthusiastic. :smiley: It's a lot more fun than figuring out how to keep from feeling like I'm starving on 1200 calories a day!!!
  • girlfighting50
    @girlfighting50 It's hard not to wonder what kind of sorcery is that, right?! You are eating more than when you were dieting and seeing better results. Wowza! Isn't that amazing?! But even though you saw improvement on the scale, nothing beats feeling better and having more energy. Great job on increasing slowly and adding strength training to your workouts! Keep us posted on how things progress!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL

Thanks, the encouragement here is a big help. And you're right, the scale isn't the most important thing anymore. It was surprising because I wasn't expecting it but what I'm really looking forward to is the change in me. I took pictures and measurements and am working on the weights almost as slowly as adding calories. :smile: It's been a long time and an injury won't help my progress. Consistency and commitment are my new goals. If I need motivation, I just read here or on EM2WL and I'm all fired up again!
  • empressichel
    @girlfighting50 Love how you have all this figured out and you are just going ahead and putting it all into practice. You are going to see such great results and your attitude to it all is awesome!
    One of the hardest things is realizing that all the diet mentality we have been taught most of our lives is all upside down and we can change it!
    That's why i love spreading the message and paying it forward so much, because once you realize, you want everyone to know! There is another way!
    Glad you are finding your motivation and glad you are over on the EM2WL website too.
    Ichel
  • girlfighting50
    @girlfighting50 Love how you have all this figured out and you are just going ahead and putting it all into practice. You are going to see such great results and your attitude to it all is awesome!
    One of the hardest things is realizing that all the diet mentality we have been taught most of our lives is all upside down and we can change it!
    That's why i love spreading the message and paying it forward so much, because once you realize, you want everyone to know! There is another way!
    Glad you are finding your motivation and glad you are over on the EM2WL website too.
    Ichel

Not sure about having it all figured out, partly just going on faith and looking at other people's success. And it completely makes sense. If I want to change my body composition I have to grow something (muscle) and you can't grow anything by starving it. The gym I went to a year or so ago did a body composition analysis and said I needed to gain 12 lbs of muscle at minimum, and I've blocked out what they said about my body fat %. :neutral: They just didn't give me much to go on as far as how to do it unless I wanted personal training. This is how I'm going to do it! Now off to do my strength training for the day!