didjulyke your workout today? - checkin thread

Replies

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Hi All!

Making good progress in squats, but bench was hard. I could use some fractionalals but I only have 1 pounds and the next plate i have at the gym is 5... I failed with the jump to 5 (each side) so deloaded and went back to last weight.

What do you all do if you don't have fractionals?

cls8o4aynpi0.png

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,106 Member
    Stronglifts Workout A

Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 80
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 30
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi everyone, I'm back at StrongLifts again after a way-too-long hiatus. Today I did the first day of SL workout B. I'm a little annoyed that I have to start over, but then I think about how good I felt even during the first couple weeks of lifting last time and am comforted.

SL B:
    Squats: 5x5@45lbs
    OHP: 5/5/5/3/5@45lbs (still failing at this -_-)
    Deadlifts: 1x5@90lbs

Here's to sticking with it this time! Being able to post here is invaluable to me, so thanks ladies!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i was a minute later than benchmark getting to work this morning :tongue: but on my way home i beat my time to the benchmark point by a full minute or more.

i'll take it, and in theory at least i'll wake up at 5 tomorrow and lift before work.
  • ninenines
    ninenines Posts: 197 Member
    I've been about, but not posting. Last week was deload. I wasn't exactly sure if I was supposed to do just the warm up sets, since the prescribed weights were the warm up weights. I ended up doing two sets of five of each of the warm up weights and then 3 sets of my assistance exercises. I kept the rests short and was in and out in around 20 minutes.

On to cycle two. I have done squats and bench so far. I increased the weight on the assistance OHP by 2.5kg and I am feeling that today. It's nice to still get DOMs occasionally!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Upper body day! Did OHP and a few other things at the gym, then 20 minutes jogging. Peak cycle will start probably next week. Don't have a scale to check my weight atm but should after the end of the month as going to Oregon for my stuff on the 24th. Not getting the highest calories with being broke and unfortunately, lower on protein than is ideal but going to keep working on it.

OHP - 2x8 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 70 and 3x3 @ 70
    chinup 2x3 and 1x2 @ bw
    cable bicep curl 3x10 @ 25
    overhead tricep ext 3x10 @ 20

20 minute jog on treadmill with 5 minute warm up and cool down walks.

Next day is squats. Fun times ahead. Also trying to think of a name for my peak cycle as I want to video tape it the best I can for my fledgling youtube channel. Doing a writing Q&A video soon too for it but need more content so maybe can get more than 2 followers some day.
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13 X 10 X 35

This is week two, day one of my five-week program. I feel that I am gaining strength in my swing and can tell that the increase of 5 pounds is making a dramatic difference in two ways. First my body is extremely toned. Second I do not have to worry about what I eat or drink anymore. In fact, I have to eat a lot more so that I don't drop too much weight too quickly. I noticed four weeks ago that I was dropping about 4 pounds per week. My daily routine was one hour strong lifts, 19-22 minutes of kettle bell swing, and a 5 mile walk 3 days a week. Then three days of up to 22 kettle bell swings with up to a 5 mile walk which on my phone is around 13,000 steps. I alternated between these two programs. I had one rest day. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but at the same time I did start to do the 19/5 hour fast schedule as often as I can. This is where I eat during a 5 hour window. This works well for me because I am not hungry during the day and I love snacking and eating in the evening. I have never been able to eat completely clean. I love my sweets way too much including pop.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Workout B day:

Squats: 2x5@45, 5x5@70lbs
    OHP: 5x5@50lbs (hard!)
    Deadlift: 1x5@125lbs
  • canadianlbs
    tried to lift from 7am to 7:30ish to leave enough time for the bike ride to work. didn't go very well and i don't think am is my time. place was swamped and felt very thrown off by the new cages with their adjustable everythings. i failed my 80lb bench too, so now just at wit's end for bench press.

did tgu's and rows, didn't try to squat, didn't work it expecially hard because i still had the ride to work with a little extra distance to worry about. coming home i put a hoodoo on myself that went 'you are not allowed to let your legs hurt' just to see how long that kind of ride took.

50 minutes, was the answer today. i got up at 5 amd am very very tired.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Struggled with the bar this morning:

SL

SQ 5/4/4/4/3 @70kgs just had nothing there!
    Ohp 5X5 @25kgs these were fine.
    DL 1X5@77.5 kgs

Then 10x13 kettlebell swings @20kg
    Plus 10x6 kettlebell push presses @12kgs.
    10 full press ups.

Rest day tomorrow.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I struggled today.
    Squat & OHP. Deadlift was great. Failed barbell curl accessory also.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Hi, I'm a newbie to SL. I'm starting week 1 for the 3rd time (l kept starting/stopping). Anyways...

SL B:
    Squats: 5x5 @ 35lbs
    OHP: 5x5 @ 35lbs
    Deadlifts: 1x5 @ 65lbs

I'm not strong enough yet to use the power rack/bar, which I believe is 45lbs, but I'll get there shortly. For now, I'm using the Olympic bar (I think that's what it's called) which is 30lbs.

On non SL days, I run 3 miles. I also play soccer twice a week. I take Mondays off from all training.

I noticed on the deadlifts I have trouble bringing the bar back down to the ground at the end of the lift. I feel like it's pulling on my lower back. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Workout B

Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1 X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 140

Kettlebell Swing

Russian kettle bell swing-19 X 10 X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

5 miles
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm a newbie to SL. I'm starting week 1 for the 3rd time (l kept starting/stopping). Anyways...

SL B:

I noticed on the deadlifts I have trouble bringing the bar back down to the ground at the end of the lift. I feel like it's pulling on my lower back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

At what point are you feeling it in your back? As it gets closer to the floor? Is it pain? Deadlifts do work the lower back...

But at 65lbs, are you using small plates on the bar? If so its probably too low to the ground and throwing off your form at the bottom.

Another thing that works for me is to concentrate on my glutes and hamstrings as I'm lowering the weight...trying to use the same muscles to control the descent as I do to lift the weight in the first place.

Can you get a video of you deadlifting? So much easier to give advice.

• sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    klrenn wrote: »

SL B:

At what point are you feeling it in your back? As it gets closer to the floor? Is it pain? Deadlifts do work the lower back...

But at 65lbs, are you using small plates on the bar? If so its probably too low to the ground and throwing off your form at the bottom.

Another thing that works for me is to concentrate on my glutes and hamstrings as I'm lowering the weight...trying to use the same muscles to control the descent as I do to lift the weight in the first place.

Can you get a video of you deadlifting? So much easier to give advice.

Yes, it's at the very end. You're probably right that it's lower to the ground because of the smaller plates. I'll squeeze my butt even tighter as I lower the bar next time ;)

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm finally back! It has been 67 days since my last lifting session apparently. And for NO REASON. Ugh. Soo... I deloaded. Here's how it went. I forgot how sexy I feel when I'm lifting. And dancing during the rests lol.

Squat: 85 lb (down from 115)
    Bench: 60 lb (down from 65)
    Row: 65 lb - still struggling with proper form here but I think I felt it in my traps for the first time today. (down from "doesn't matter" since I was doing them incorrectly).

I did about ten 45 lb good mornings after to see how they would feel. I like them. And I could touch my toes after the session (a rare thing for me).
  • canadianlbs
    Hi, I'm a newbie to SL.

hi!
    I'm not strong enough yet to use the power rack/bar, which I believe is 45lbs, but I'll get there shortly. For now, I'm using the Olympic bar (I think that's what it's called) which is 30lbs.

they're actually both called olympic bars. but the shorter one is the 'womens' bar and the longer one is the 'mens'. idk what the difference is between a 'power' rack and a regular one, now you bring it up.

On non SL days, I run 3 miles. I also play soccer twice a week. I take Mondays off from all training.

a little more knee angle? bum further out behind you? good to notice this early, by the sounds of it.

• canadianlbs
    this job is going to be a problem unless i force myself to leave AT FIVE every day except in really really dire emergency times. wasn't on the road until after 6, today.

stood up on the pedals today and mashed my way very slowly and deliberately up the whole hill, just because. then i yawned like a crocodile all the rest of the way, but went past home and carried on to the gym for Assistance Reps anyway. it's deadlifts officially on friday with mr t, and i want my 145 when that comes along.

i did 3x12 of both lifts. deadlift at 90lb and press at 35. pretty much nothing else because i was almost too tired to stay standing up, except for a few doses of planks and side planks. i'm GOING to buy me two different foam rollers and an electric 'percussion massager' thing and a huge tub of whey isolate . . . as soon as i figure out how to get them to notice i'm working for them.

• fanncy0626
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Week 2 day 2 of 5-week program to increase swings from 7 to 10.
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16 X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

6 miles

I slept through a storm last night and when I went on my walk this morning there were at least seven trees down on the trail I walk.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member

Do you place the bar on a couple of stacked plates or steps? I find with the small plates on the bar and the bar resting on the floor, my shoulders round. There are also special plates that are the size of 45-pound plates (so they lift it off the floor a good amount) but weigh less. My gym doesn't have those, but maybe yours does.