Eating Eggs on Low Calorie Diet

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Eggs are my go to after a late workout. Couple of eggs, and two slices of 35 calorie light white bread...just a shade over 200 calories. Always fills me up too cause of the protein.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Here in the South, folks like to accompany their butter - fried eggs with sausage or bacon, grits swimming in butter or fried potatoes, and white toast and butter and jam. Then they down it with orange juice and coffee with cream and sugar. Mention poached eggs, steamed veggies, and black coffee with a piece of fruit on the side, and you'll see a major stink - eye accompanied by a disgusted recoil. So watch how you eat them and what you eat them with, and eggs should be no problem.
  • dlcshan
    dlcshan Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2016
    Ignoring the egg part of the question and addressing the loss of bum part. What exercising do you do at the gym. I've seen it said that if you do a lot of treadmill running it can contribute to that due to your legs functioning differently than non-machine running which (according to what I read) causes you to lose your glutes. Aforementioned blog: http://preview.tinyurl.com/jsaht39 (used tinyurl because link contains blocked words)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    I think you should experiment for a few days and add them in - there are tons of good recipe suggestions already - and really pay attention to your hunger levels for the rest of the day since you mentioned it would be hard to fit the extra calories.
    With the eggs' extra protein and fat potentially keeping you full longer, you may be able to reduce the size of your lunch or change up a morning/mid-day snack with no problems to accommodate moving extra cals to your breakfast.
  • _sacar
    _sacar Posts: 80 Member
    darlswife wrote: »
    I'm on a 1200 calorie diet and I have eggs every day. I use the boxed eggs bc they're easier and they are great for scrambling. Btw, they are 98% egg whites so a lot of protein. With 2 slices of bacon and my coffee and low fat half n half, my breakfasts are just over 200 calories with 6-8 carbs coming from my coffee sweetener and whitener.

Wow, I have got to try this! Because I do love me some bacon hahah
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    It sounds so cheesy, but I just ordered an Eggtastic and I am OBSESSED with it. I love eggs, but always struggle with the time and mess preparing them in the morning (I'm always running late in life). This morning, I had eggs and avocado on toast and it was delicious, the eggs were PERFECT out of the Eggtastic, and there was basically no clean up. I think eggs are a staple, definitely add them to your diet!

https://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-TV-Egg-Tastic-Microwave/dp/B00YYYL2XW
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2016
    Hi all
    I'm back to counting calories again. Im generally eating 1200 on non gym days and 1400 on gym days (I weigh 10 stone 6Ibs and am 5'1 height).
    I noticed I've started losing my bum, which was the only part of me I didn't actually mind! I've been doing my usual exercise but it's disappearing. If only the rest of me would disappear as quickly!!!
    My question is, I think I need to up my protein within my calorie limit. And one way I would like to have eggs for breakfast. But I really struggle to fit that into my calorie intake, especially scrambled where it's more than one egg!
    How do people manage to incorporate eggs into their morning on a lower calorie diet?

I normally have three scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese one two whole wheat slices of bread. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet too. I usually cook this up for a quick meal (I'm not entirely sure why you think eggs are high calorie)

Hell, sometimes I throw turkey bacon on it too. My diary is public. Feel free to look. I'm an egg fanatic. I eat them everyday lol
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I like eggs in my 1200 cal diet too. I have just adjusted to having my 2 eggs with one piece of toast instead of 2, especially for breakfast (not that there is anything wrong with a higher cal breakfast, I just prefer to eat my biggest meal for dinner so have to be a bit careful with breakfast and lunch so I can eat what I want later in the day).

I love hard boiled eggs as a lunchbox snack too.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    I eat eggs fried with olive oil and full fat butter. I usually put them on the plate with an avocado and cut them all up and mix them together (sounds weird, I know, but it's delicious). It has not interfered with my weight loss. If you're doing low fat, poached is a good option and can be easier than frying. I have to second the spinach with cheese under your poached eggs! My favorite is fried eggs, turnips, and onions, sometimes with mushrooms and/or tomatoes. I also enjoy boiled eggs but it's so tedious peeling them, I don't make them often.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    I do scrambled eggs or frittattas most mornings, I usually bulk them out with spinach, onion, peppers- just whatever veg I have handy.
  • Jeebles604
    Jeebles604 Posts: 16 Member
    Hmm, I'm 5'0, approximately 117lbs (lost about 10lbs so far) and aiming to lose to 110lbs.I eat atleast 7 eggs a day. I just ate a 6 egg omelet for dinner. That's about 420 cals. Lots of proteins and fats, perfection. Only thing I added was some chopped garlic and a dash of low sodium soy sauce. Eggs are wonderful, and very nutrient dense for the calories. Hard boil a dozen and keep them in the fridge. When you need a snack, pop a few. Eggs and veggies are my holy grail of foods :)
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited July 2016
    I'm 5'2 110lbs. I am wanting to do recomp but have to wait until I can fit it into my life. My TDEE is ridiculously low at this point, around 1350 without exercise. I frequently eat 4-6 eggs whites in a day for the protein boost (husband has the yolks - I'm allergic).

6 eggs whites is roughly 102 calories and 22g of protein, which will fit in your calorie budget. They're also full of other beneficial nutrients.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    My standard breakfast, when I bother to eat breakfast, is two or three whole eggs over easy, cooked in about a tbsp of butter. So, that's what? 240-310 calories? And it keeps me full for hours. Granted, I eat closer to 1800 cal per day, but I think eggs wouldn't be hard to fit into a 1200 cal diet.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I eat 3 boiled eggs with a slice of buttered toast everyday. Sometimes with a 1/2 avocado. Keeps me full for hours.

If you want scrambled I would do 2 whites and 1 yellow and cook in spray to keep calories low and protein high.
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    Like others, I eat maybe one whole egg plus egg whites. I want the protein but not always all the calories from yolk. I make a veggie scramble or even a bit of low cal sausage.
    Also, for a dinner appetizer I make egg drop soup, usually with one egg and maybe an egg white. That plus all the broth is a good filler before dinner.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I'm 5'2 110lbs. I am wanting to do recomp but have to wait until I can fit it into my life. My BMR s ridiculously low at this point, around 1350 without exercise. I frequently eat 4-6 eggs whites in a day for the protein boost (husband has the yolks - I'm allergic).

6 eggs whites is roughly 102 calories and 22g of protein, which will fit in your calorie budget. They're also full of other beneficial nutrients.
    Did you mean BMR or TDEE? Because your calorie goal should be calculated off of TDEE.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Did you mean BMR or TDEE? Because your calorie goal should be calculated off of TDEE.

TDEE. I updated my post. I always get them switched if I'm typing in a hurry lol. I think when I learned them initially I had it backwards and it has stuck if I'm not focused when I reference one of them. Thx!
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Why is it a lot of calories? A large egg is around 70 calories. You could try adding egg whites too, which is what I do. For two whole eggs and 100g of egg whites (which usually takes 3 eggs for me), it only comes out to 190-200 calories. That's a good amount of food in my opinion. I usually have two pieces of turkey bacon with it (30 cal each), which is more protein. That entire breakfast comes out to 250-260 calories :smile:
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Eggs are about the lowest calorie breakfast you can have. 150 calories for two. Low-calories additions are mushrooms, onions and/or tomatoes.

Compare this to the calories in a bagel with cream cheese, pancakes, donuts, muffins, or cereal (unless you can manage with the puny serving size on the nutrition label).