didjulyke your workout today? - checkin thread

Replies

• sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    scrittrice wrote: »
    sbl1881 wrote: »

I noticed on the deadlifts I have trouble bringing the bar back down to the ground at the end of the lift. I feel like it's pulling on my lower back. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Do you place the bar on a couple of stacked plates or steps? I find with the small plates on the bar and the bar resting on the floor, my shoulders round. There are also special plates that are the size of 45-pound plates (so they lift it off the floor a good amount) but weigh less. My gym doesn't have those, but maybe yours does.

I haven't tried adding a few stacked plates or steps, but will do that tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Went to the gym last night before coming home to booze (roommates, as our other roommate just moved in now). Had an off day so just picked a random time, so little earlier than usual. Some guys were there lifting but I still did a little filming and might put together a youtube video that includes those clips soon. It was squat day, so that was fun. Though I had forgotten to put down what I needed to do in my notebook so it was a guess-ish on some numbers and such. Legs are a little sore but not too bad considering I hadn't done pause squats in a long time.

Squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 3x6 @ 135
    Overload - 195 1x15 count
    Pause Squats - 3x8 @ 65 at 8 count
    Good Morning - 3x10 @ 65
    Sumo Deadlift - 1x6 @ 135 and 3x5 @ 165
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    time to work well under 30 minutes. time home, not so much :p ima blame it on the even-steeper shortcut i took which made me afraid i was going to wheelie over backwards at certain points, only to force me into a long downhill patch that wasted most of the height that i'd gained anyway. #bitter.

tomorrow i get to drive, because it's lifting day. so i'm happy with a week that was all bike and no car, considering how this has only been my third week.
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    9th workout, end of week 3 doing SL, and the first time I've done it myself without my husband as my workout partner. Felt good except I failed one rep of one set of barbell rows. I'm also having issues with the app. it will tell me one thing on the day of the workout, like, congrats lift 65 pounds next time, and then when I get to that day it tells me to lift less. Here's what I got done today:

Squat: 2x5@45, 5x5@75lbs
    BP: 5x5@60
    ROW: 5/4/5/5/5@65lbs
    Planks: 4@30seconds
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Are you pressing "finish" on the app when you've done your workout - if not, it might be thinking you haven't completed everything and assuming you need to deload? I've had a couple of times when I've forgotten to "finish" the session off. Good work with working out yourself. Its quite empowering, I think, (well, for me it was anyway, even though I love the times that we *are* at the gym together).
  • Bmoremama
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Are you pressing "finish" on the app when you've done your workout - if not, it might be thinking you haven't completed everything and assuming you need to deload? I've had a couple of times when I've forgotten to "finish" the session off. Good work with working out yourself. Its quite empowering, I think, (well, for me it was anyway, even though I love the times that we *are* at the gym together).

I think I am pressing finish but I will be careful to make sure. Thanks!!! It did feel empowering although I wasn't too impressed with how many men wanted to be friendly compared to when I'm there with my husband. Lol
  • pezhed
    pezhed Posts: 777 Member
    I got through my first week of resuming SL. I worked the program for about 6 weeks before falling off the wagon before, and I never could complete 5x5 OHP @ 45lbs during that time! But today I DID IT!! I'm so excited and no one I talk to in real life cares, haha. I've been rock climbing again so I think the strength/mobility from that is helping in a huge way.

So today was SL workout B
    Squats: 5x5@55lb
    OHP: 5x5@45lb (I'll try going up 2.5lb on this) and YAY
    Deadlift: 5x5@100lb

I'm hoping to make this weekend an active outdoors one with some white water rafting, hiking, and biking. We were going to hike a 14er (a mountain in Colorado over 14,000 feet) but the weather was looking better up here. I'll get more sleep this way so it's all good!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2016
    I took my dh to the gym today. He is not a gym person at all, but was so nice to work out with him. I should have gone up on barbell row but he found it heavy so I left it, and we went up on bench since he felt it was light, and it was great since I was able to do it! I'm going back to my normal program from Monday, but was nice to play around a bit.

ia6jilsmytg5.png

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    I'm a long time lurker, but finally tried workout A yesterday. The rack was taken, so I used the fixed barbells for squats and rows.

Squats 5x5 50 lbs
    Bench 5x5 45 lbs
    Rows 3x5 50, 2x5 60 lbs

I was on my lunch break and no time to wait for the rack.

Thoughts: it was humbling to realize how heavy the bar feels. I did body pump for a while last year, so I didn't think I would struggle that much. Yeah, I knew those bars were really light, but still...

I tweaked my thigh during squats, but kept moving and stretching and it got better. Need to warm up more. Tweaked my wrist getting bar over my head for squats, so will wait on the rack next time. Shoulder hurt before I was even done, from old injury, but already better so I think I need this to rebuild my strength.

Oh, and DOMS is brutal today, but I rode horses last night and today. Planning to ride tomorrow as well but may need much ibuprofen. Tell me it gets better?!
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member

Oh, and DOMS is brutal today, but I rode horses last night and today. Planning to ride tomorrow as well but may need much ibuprofen. Tell me it gets better?!

For me, DOMS got better after a few weeks and after a couple months I rarely had painful DOMS! I kind of miss it actually
  • stapark
    0yvylcjsle56.jpeg

I really need to start lifting in a gym for safety. I had a split second where I thought I couldn't get up from a squat and that would have involved weights being thrown on my concrete basement floor. I just don't know if I would stick with my schedule as well though, if I have to dress in public clothes to go workout.
  • canadianlbs
    sigh. trainer day and i should be more cheerful, but demoralizing day at work full of PEOPLE. all TALKING AT ME. fives week and mr t's idea of my weights is not the same as mine, once again. his is lower but i went with mine for deadlift because the math was easier :tongue:

press 45/55/60
    deadlift whatever/whatever/145.

i did turkish getups, eccentric pullups and 3x6 rows with 65lb, trying to keep my form more honest than it's been since i got back on the bike. sad that the deadlifts were as hard as they were. sad about the same thing on the press.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    edited July 2016
    Stronglifts Workout A
    Squats- 1X 5/55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X80
    BR- type X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

5 miles
  • Bmoremama
    stapark wrote: »

I really need to start lifting in a gym for safety. I had a split second where I thought I couldn't get up from a squat and that would have involved weights being thrown on my concrete basement floor. I just don't know if I would stick with my schedule as well though, if I have to dress in public clothes to go workout.

You have to use a squat rack! What clothes do you think you'd wear? I wear yoga pants and a t shirt on the regular. But I know the gym can be intimidating.
  • Bmoremama

Hi! I'm newish too. I am starting my fourth week and really no more DOMS. I also deloaded once to fix my form in squats and that made all the difference in how much soreness I was feeling in my thighs.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Happy weekend everyone!! I lifted this morning...

SQ 5X5 @70kgs
    BP 5X5 @40kgs
    Row 5x5 @ 45kgs

Kettlebells
    Swings 10x13 @ 20kgs
    Push presses 10x6 @12 kgs

After a so-so lifting session earlier in the week, I felt much happier with my session today.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Week 2, day 3, of five-week program to increase reps from 7 to 10, using the 35 pound kettle bell.
    Goblet squat-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X 10 X 35

Boy, is that Kettlebell ever heavy when I first lift it up. But, I make sure I have excellent form, and grip, and when I do my swing it is a piece of cake!

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    5 miles
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Week 1, Workout A

SQ 5X5 @40lbs
    BP 5X5 @45lbs
    Row@40lbs

Felt pretty good today. Week 1 is in the books. Now that I'm at 45lbs, I can move to the power rack. Yay!!
  • stapark
    Bmoremama wrote: »

You have to use a squat rack! What clothes do you think you'd wear? I wear yoga pants and a t shirt on the regular. But I know the gym can be intimidating.

Pajamas lol. Also, my 7yo works out with me and she wouldn't be able to in a gym. :neutral: But I should go to the gym once a week at least.
  • canadianlbs
    Bmoremama wrote: »

i wear awful stuff in the gym. about the only thing that sets a standard in my head at all is afterwards i like to do things like errands and groceries. so it's definitely not the gym that makes me check myself at the door.

afaik, the only etiquette rule people appreciate is 'don't make us look at your skin'. nobody's there to conduct a social life.